Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:21 pm

Paul Ryan will be the republican nominee. Book it...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Shut your ugly fat face.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:28 am

bluetick wrote:
Toemeesleather wrote:"Secular theists" — economist Don Boudreaux's term — produce governments gripped by the fatal conceit that they are wiser than society's spontaneous experimental order. Such governments imposed order suffocates improvisation and innovation. Like religious creationists gazing upon biological complexity, secular theists assume that social complexity requires an intentional design imposed from on high by wise designers, a.k.a. them.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will122615.php3
I like Will, always have, and certainly not because I agree with him very often (if at all). I just like his writing style, tone, demeanor, wordsmanship...but definitely demeanor. Dude never loses his cool, because he's got an encyclopedic mind and always has a total command of the facts (whereas other talking heads shout a lot to compensate for being fact-challenged). I'm fascinated that Will was a religion major and is now an avowed atheist. Oh the irony....who doesn't love a good irony?

No doubt there's enough gubmint-is-evil in that article to appeal to all the mouth-breathers.
George Will and William F. Buckley were always two of my favorites, precisely because of style and wit. Buckley was solidly in the John Birch camp, while Will is a typical crotchety-libertarian-cum-nutjob.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:59 am

Ahhhh, George Will. Peace be upon him. He is my favorite conservative talking head and stylistic role model (crotchety libertarian cum nutjob).

He also looks a lot like Kermit the Frog.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:04 am

hedge wrote:Paul Ryan will be the republican nominee. Book it...
After Ryan's budget deal that was essentially a surrender document to the liberals, the conservatives are calling him "Boehner with a beard."

Before the beard, he looked a lot like Eddy Munster.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:13 am

He'll be the fallback candidate when Trump inevitably says something that can't be forgiven. Just like he was when they needed a new speaker o' the Haus...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 am

I'm not sure if there's anything that Trump could say that his supporters couldn't forgive.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Trump won't be President. Stop fooling yourselves. Nothing more than a winter fad.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Trump's candidacy is the GOP's conservative base giving the GOP Establishment and the MSM a big middle finger. They've had it with the Romneys, the McCains, the Boehners, and now, the Ryans. If the Republican Establishment presidential candidates are going to be perpetually mushy moderates losers, and the Republican Establishment congressmen aren't even going to attempt to govern conservatively, the conservative base has apparently collectively decided to burn the whole house down. Trump is the accelerant.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:19 pm

hedge wrote:Read this article about Will, tick (A Pundit Who Need Never Dine Alone)...

https://books.google.com/books?id=8haLs ... ne&f=false
lol...that was pretty good

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
bluetick wrote:
Toemeesleather wrote:"Secular theists" — economist Don Boudreaux's term — produce governments gripped by the fatal conceit that they are wiser than society's spontaneous experimental order. Such governments imposed order suffocates improvisation and innovation. Like religious creationists gazing upon biological complexity, secular theists assume that social complexity requires an intentional design imposed from on high by wise designers, a.k.a. them.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will122615.php3
I like Will, always have, and certainly not because I agree with him very often (if at all). I just like his writing style, tone, demeanor, wordsmanship...but definitely demeanor. Dude never loses his cool, because he's got an encyclopedic mind and always has a total command of the facts (whereas other talking heads shout a lot to compensate for being fact-challenged). I'm fascinated that Will was a religion major and is now an avowed atheist. Oh the irony....who doesn't love a good irony?

No doubt there's enough gubmint-is-evil in that article to appeal to all the mouth-breathers.
George Will and William F. Buckley were always two of my favorites, precisely because of style and wit. Buckley was solidly in the John Birch camp, while Will is a typical crotchety-libertarian-cum-nutjob.
Buckley despised the John Birchers, FWIW. His big claim to fame in the 60's was writing a big article denouncing them and casting them out of the conservative movement.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Trump's candidacy is the GOP's conservative base giving the GOP Establishment and the MSM a big middle finger. They've had it with the Romneys, the McCains, the Boehners, and now, the Ryans. If the Republican Establishment presidential candidates are going to be perpetually mushy moderates losers, and the Republican Establishment congressmen aren't even going to attempt to govern conservatively, the conservative base has apparently collectively decided to burn the whole house down. Trump is the accelerant.
Ah yes...if only a "true conservative" would run, he'd be an automatic winner. America yearns for the Far Right...

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:06 am

Hello
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:51 am

10 had a stroke

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:21 pm

Or he let one of his grandkids handle his phone.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:19 pm

That's some real Gabby Johnson frontier-style gibberish right there.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:Trump's candidacy is the GOP's conservative base giving the GOP Establishment and the MSM a big middle finger. They've had it with the Romneys, the McCains, the Boehners, and now, the Ryans. If the Republican Establishment presidential candidates are going to be perpetually mushy moderates losers, and the Republican Establishment congressmen aren't even going to attempt to govern conservatively, the conservative base has apparently collectively decided to burn the whole house down. Trump is the accelerant.
Ah yes...if only a "true conservative" would run, he'd be an automatic winner. America yearns for the Far Right...
I don't think Trump is particularly conservative, and I don't think he'll beat the PAH. However, he might turn out the base, which is more than Romney managed to do.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 am

Clive Bundy (the guy FoxNews declared a hero two years ago), his son, and their militia have occupied a building at a National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon and are daring the Federal govt to try and remove them. They've asked fellow 'patriots' to bring all the guns they have. They're ostensibly there in support of an Oregon rancher who's being sent to prison for arson on federal lands. They also are demanding the Federal govt immediately surrender the Malheur National Forest. The rancher himself, one Dwight Hammond, has stated that he didn't ask for and doesn't want their support; they should all just leave.

If a group of armed Muslims took over a federal building conservatives would probably be demanding drone strikes. But a white militia that has previously harbored cop-killers? Why, that's a band of heroic patriots

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-ranc ... ccupation/

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:35 pm

How many people have they attempted to kill?

Don't be a retard.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:19 pm

The protesters should call it a "sit in" trying to create a "safe space" where their views are safe from being questioned by anybody. Trigger warnings required. Maybe chant "ranchers' lives matter."

If the law or journalists show up, they should bleat, "We need a little muscle over here!" to beat them up in a very green and sustainable way.

If they don't get their way, they should just burn the whole county down and rob the local CVS store.