Tennessee Volunteers

Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Tennessee Volunteers

Post by bluetick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:06 am

Augie, you're a class act and I hope State wins 10 games.

But gotdamn we needed this.

gayyyyyyyytors....it's comin'
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Hacksaw
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks, Augie.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:30 am

AlabamAlum wrote:It looked like a TD to me, but Tennessee got away with a hold the play before.

Feel free to post a pic of the hold.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:08 am

Yikes, from that angle, it's a lot closer than I thought. If he was bobbling that ball a frame or two after that snapshot, the field refs and the replay refs were correct - no TD.

Re: the hold. If I cared enough, I would look for one and post it. Your gonna have to either trust me or not. I'm good either way.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:59 am

Both hands firmly on the ball when it broke the plane. The photo clearly shows that. The replays clearly showed it. The broadcast crew said it was clearly a TD and acted as if a reversal was a foregone conclusion. They were surprised when it wasn't. Bobbling the ball after it's a TD doesn't matter one bit. Anyone with a basic familiarity with the rules of the game should know that.

Anyway, the only impact is that the final score was 35-21, when it should have been 42-21. So I'm okay with it. I just don't understand why they have replay when they are going to ignore what they see.

As for the holding call, I'll take your word for it -- LOL.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 am

apparently a Tenn fan fell out of the upper deck last night and died at the hospital. thoughts and prayers.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:15 am

Hacksaw wrote:Both hands firmly on the ball when it broke the plane. The photo clearly shows that. The replays clearly showed it. The broadcast crew said it was clearly a TD and acted as if a reversal was a foregone conclusion. They were surprised when it wasn't. Bobbling the ball after it's a TD doesn't matter one bit. Anyone with a basic familiarity with the rules of the game should know that.

Anyway, the only impact is that the final score was 35-21, when it should have been 42-21. So I'm okay with it. I just don't understand why they have replay when they are going to ignore what they see.

As for the holding call, I'll take your word for it -- LOL.

1) The photo does not show he had control, and the angle is not exact.

2) In the post game discussion on ESPNU, they went over it and one guy said it was, without a doubt, the right call. I still think it looks like a TD.

3) Yes, you would be wise to take my word for it. But even if you don't, and you're proven wrong again, I don't expect you to acknowledge it. You haven't yet... The last time it happened ("HARVEY UPDYKE WAS NEVER A COP IN TEXAS!") you just said something to the effect of, "Uh, I wasn't wrong, I was just, um, joking. Yeah, that's it!"
— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:16 am

AugustWest wrote:apparently a Tenn fan fell out of the upper deck last night and died at the hospital. thoughts and prayers.
Im gonna miss OF.

(not really)

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 am

AA,

Once and for all, let me state categorically that YOU WERE RIGHT and I WAS WRONG about Harvey Updyke having been a law enforcement officer in Texas. I did not think at the time of our previous discussion (and I do not think now) that his history as a cop in Texas (which was, in my mind, unsubstantiated at the time) was of any particular relevance to the fact that he poisoned Auburn trees on behalf of the University of Alabama. But I WAS WRONG about him being a former Texas cop and YOU WERE RIGHT. I apologize for any hurt feelings over the issue.

You're still wrong about the TD, though.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 am

Enjoy!

[youtube]PWU35idspKo[/youtube]

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:39 am

Hacksaw wrote:I apologize for everything I ever said about Zach Rogers.
Damn straight you better have.
Let the Jones era begin

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:44 am

AugustWest wrote:apparently a Tenn fan fell out of the upper deck last night and died at the hospital. thoughts and prayers.
They mentioned the fall and how two people were hurt as the fan landed on them. That freaking sucks when people go to an event to have fun and something like that happens. Freaky world we live in.

You know, it seems odd how that stuff seems to be happening lately versus how I don't recall ever hearing about anything like that. There seems to be a lot of this type of stuff happening in baseball the last 2-4 years in particular. :(
Let the Jones era begin

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 am

It seems likely that alcohol will turn out to have played a role, although I realize it's probably inappropriate to speculate. Considering the circumstances, I think we'll all be surprised if it turns out not to be.

One of my good friends, who I golf with regularly, almost died many years ago under similar circumstances at Safeco Field during a Mariners game. He was in a coma, but was fortunate to recover after months in the hospital and years of rehab. He has lived to see the birth of his young daughter. He is still a young man, but he suffers from the lingering physical effects of the accident -- a few moments of his life many years ago that very easily could have been the end.

Anyways...stay safe out there everybody.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 am

Hack, your argument was never whether him being a cop was relevent, but apology accepted, anyway.

I am? I mean, I said that it looks like a TD to me. So, I'm wrong? It was a fumble, just like the refs called it?
— Abraham Lincoln

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:56 am

Cordarrelle Patterson.

WTF is wrong with this guy?! The guy looks like he should be playing in the NFL right now. He didn't start at a major college. Instead, he starts his career in the JUCO ranks. Were grades an issue? Does he have a major attitude problem? What is it about him we are missing? I'm hoping he didn't know where to go to college at so he went to a junior college close to home. Or perhaps he wasn't offered a schollie and had to go to a JUCO to save money. I can't believe how good he is. I fear he will be taken away from us as he has some ghost in his closet who will come back to haunt us.
Let the Jones era begin

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 am

Hacksaw wrote:It seems likely that alcohol will turn out to have played a role...
Yeah, I wondered if that was the case.
Let the Jones era begin

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:59 am

AlabamAlum wrote:Hack, your argument was never whether him being a cop was relevent, but apology accepted, anyway.

I am? I mean, I said that it looks like a TD to me. So, I'm wrong? It was a fumble, just like the refs called it?

::pulls up chair, grabs coke and popcorn, prepares for several posts of pure fun::
Let the Jones era begin

The Notorious V.O.L.
Recruit

Post by The Notorious V.O.L. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:29 am

Howdy Ho douchebags.

Holy Jesus - Hack and AA are STILL arguing about the Auburn tree poisoning? You guys left WorldCrashing arguing about this same shit......

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:33 am

AA: "If he was bobbling that ball a frame or two after that snapshot, the field refs and the replay refs were correct - no TD."

Wrong.

The relevance of Updyke's history as anything other than an Alabama fan was always the only issue to me. It was silly of you to bring it up as a means to distract from the real point -- as if Updyke's actions were part of some random vendetta by Texas law enforcement against trees at Auburn. I thought I made the point effectively enough at the time. Judging by the fact that you appear to still be butt-hurt about it, I am more certain than ever that I did.

Anyway, I'm really not interested in exhuming such a silly discussion.