Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by aTm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 pm

What were the odds that this ad showed up? Here is a screenshot of what mine looks like...

Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm

no ad just blue background.

adblock must really work
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 pm

I think I must've removed the background color on the box that holds the ad (previously it had color so I could tell where it was being positioned on the page) when I added the script for the ad, which explains why its invisible for you without the ad on top of it. I guess thats good.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:31 pm

How do I get yahoo messenger to quit popping up on my email page? I want my instant messages in separate windows, not superimposed on top of my mail page. It's fucked up, b/c half the time, the message pops up in its own window, but then for some reason it pops over to the email page. Very annoying, plus when it shifts over to being part of the email page, I don't get the little module at the bottom of the screen that flashes and lets me know somebody sent me a message...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm

I spent awhile trying to figure out how to turn it off completely without success.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 am

This is the future look of our site (You may need to hit refresh once or twice)

I updated the theme to fix some problems. Right now I am maintaining a separate "theme" for almost every forum on this site (in other words almost every forum on the pen has its own theme which gives it different colors banners and images), and if I want to make a change that affects us all, I must make 7 different changes or more, which is not workable long term for me to keep up to date with what I am doing in my development site on my laptop, and the 7 different themes out here.

I have however modified this theme to allow it to have a main title banner, and a title banner for each different forum so that it will check which forum you are viewing and pull that image, so that the title banners for each forum will still be unique.

I'm looking for any feedback you guys may have.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 am

Looks good to me
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:45 pm

What I don't really understand about this forum (the old style and the new style) is why there is not always a perfect and consistent gap between posts. There is sometimes a wider strip between them.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 pm

How do I figure out what the password for the home network is? I bought a wireless signal extender, but it's asking for the password. I tried the PIN numbers on the bottom of the router and the wireless router, but that wasn't it. This shit has been here for years, nobody here knows the fucking password for the network. Help...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Lose the ads. This is The Goat Pen. Why do we need ads anyway? We have like 15 people who actually post here daily anyway. Don't sell us out aTm.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 pm

Bullshit, I just saw an awesome one for "High Intensity Basketball Training." This is awesome.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

aTm's gone berserk now that Hizzy's not here to rein him in

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

I keep getting a gay Dragonmaster game ad on my page. if that keeps up, Mook will be back soon

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan

Post by It's me Karen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:57 am

I've got a Caesar's Palace ad. I've no problem with that.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 am

hedge wrote:How do I figure out what the password for the home network is? I bought a wireless signal extender, but it's asking for the password. I tried the PIN numbers on the bottom of the router and the wireless router, but that wasn't it. This shit has been here for years, nobody here knows the fucking password for the network. Help...
if you are asking about the password that makes your wireless network secure, you're pretty much S.O.L.

you'll need to get into the router, and that is done by going to a webpage and typing the gateway I.P.

to find out the gateway IP, open up a command prompt and type IPCONFIG. Somewhere in all that crap that comes up on your computer, you'll see "Default Gateway". (Command prompt is under programs/accessories)

Its usually something like 192.168.1.1 - now open up your web browser and type that into the address just like you would a URL like http://www.goatpen.net, nothing else just the numbers separated by periods and then hit enter.

That should bring you to your router page where you can give the system a new password but in order to change the password for the network you're going to have to log into the router. Attempting to change anything on the router usually prompts it to ask for a user id and password

most of the time the default is admin as the user id and password as the password, or user id is blank and the password is admin.

if that doesn't work, then you can just look it up online - google the model number of the router and default password

if that doesn't work and they have created a new password, then you'll need to find the reset button on the router. Usually the best way is to press the reset button , hold it for 30 seconds, unplug the router, keep holding the reset button, wait like 10 seconds, plug it back in, while holding it for 30 seconds while it powers up - that covers most of the reset routines for any wireless router.

But that introduces a host of other problems - by doing that you just returned everything to the factory defaults which means your network is now open and not secure - anyone can get on it that is within range without providing a password.

Also if your Internet provider requires a login to get an ip address and doesn't assign it dynamically, that is gone (that is rare for home high speed internet and a mom and pop shop) and finally, your ip ranges goes back to the default. That could be a big headache if the guy that set up your network created a custom IP range and then gave the network computers and what not specific IP addresses within that range.

A good way to tell right off the bat if you have a custom range is if you have something vastly different from the gateway default IP I typed above. Almost all cheapie wireless routers use the 192.168.1.1 standard - it can be off a little like 192.168.1.3 or even 10.10.10.1 but if its like 261.145.3.75 then they were changed by him- I know that is confusing, you have to do this awhile to recognize what are standard IP addresses provided and which ones are custom. Chances are if some guy just bought a wireless router for a little network, he got as far as giving it a password and that's it.

here is a video that kind of walks you thru what I just pointed out only its for a verizon router but overall the process is similar
[youtube]zQbj6xAHcYc[/youtube]
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:56 am

I have the ads at home where I don't have ad block running.

interesting because I don't see any performance issues

Any way to change the arial bold font to just arial for the horizontal link bar below the banner?

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:36 am

I'm not sure what's going on with that font, it shouldn't be bold.

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm

What happened to your Futbol forum?????? :(
I try not to limit my madness to March

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:48 pm

"I keep getting a gay Dragonmaster game ad on my page. if that keeps up, Mook will be back soon"

Reminds me of that bumper sticker I saw that reminded me of Mook:

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup