Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Just wait till they can't hire police and we get private security companies to police the streets.

People think it is bad now...............I am praying for it to be honest.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 pm Again. You're an idiot
stay safe rat.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm

BigRedMan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:07 pm Just wait till they can't hire police and we get private security companies to police the streets.

People think it is bad now...............I am praying for it to be honest.
That actually happened in San Francisco. The wealthiest businesses who didn't trust local law enforcement to protect them went and formed their OWN private security companies to protect them (and ONLY them.) They did a comedy movie about this, called Kuffs. Starred Christian Slater.

The problem with private security is that they no law enforcement authority to arrest a criminal when a law is broken. All they can do is protect people who are paying them. But they still have to submit to the authority of local law enforcement. Of which, there won't be any.

The people in The Road Warrior may have more ethics in that scenario.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Just a glitch...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:44 pm

so help me understand something,

if a guy has a preliminary hearing and gets out on bail, what is the formal arraignment that happens a few months later. Is that where he enters a plea?

I'm asking because that dude at work is out on bail and has been since January. He is scheduled for an arraignment today and has a court date of July 7

He hired a guy that appears to be a very high dollar defense lawyer from the website, so I would assume he is entering a plea of not guilty at some point.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:51 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pmJust a glitch...
a temporary set back

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 pm

police in these cities have to have a definite retaliation mentality and given the desire to avoid possible Chauvin situations, I suspect they are going to let the citizens feed on themselves.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:01 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 pm police in these cities have to have a definite retaliation mentality and given the desire to avoid possible Chauvin situations, I suspect they are going to let the citizens feed on themselves.
yup

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:02 pm

That's why I moved to the mountains. No racial conflicts up there.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:39 pm

sardis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:02 pm That's why I moved to the mountains. No racial conflicts up there.
You are smart. And there are no racial conflicts there because everyone has about the same amount of stuff in the mountains.

I tend to think that Stephen King was right about racism when he was writing The Stand. There is a scene in the book where Stu Redman meets Glen Bateman after 99.7% of the earth's population is dead. Glen said it best:
King wrote:No race problem. That only exists when things are in short supply and one race has something and the other one doesn't. Everything is plentiful now, no race problem.
I would say that is the root of racism. Here in the United States we call this philosophy: "inequality." That seems to be the catch all word for things that are manifestly unequal. And it is unequal. But its not just things that you can touch that make it unequal, its cultural differences as well. From the moment a white or Asian girl is born, she can dream of being married because that is likely to happen. For black girls or Hispanic girls, not even remotely likely anymore, at least not in the United States. That IS the inequality (something that government can only ruin, not fix.)

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:07 pm

This is one proposal the Dems have that the R's would be foolish not to be on board. Especially, since I'm retiring in 2.5 years while still in my fifties... Good, I get to suck on the teet for once.

https://money.yahoo.com/new-bill-would- ... 15933.html

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:06 pm

that would get a bunch of people into early retirement

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:06 pm that would get a bunch of people into early retirement
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:34 pm

"I would say that is the root of racism. Here in the United States we call this philosophy: "inequality." That seems to be the catch all word for things that are manifestly unequal. And it is unequal. But its not just things that you can touch that make it unequal, its cultural differences as well. From the moment a white or Asian girl is born, she can dream of being married because that is likely to happen. For black girls or Hispanic girls, not even remotely likely anymore, at least not in the United States. That IS the inequality (something that government can only ruin, not fix.)"

I should've known you'd figure out a way to channel this whole thing back into your standard rant...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:45 am

innocentbystander wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 pm
eCat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:06 pm that would get a bunch of people into early retirement
both I guess

its bad because is going to put a heavy financial burden on the federal government when you add Gen X along with the Boomers,

but it will open up a ton of jobs for Gen Y and Millineals.

It might be a compromise for the single payer crowd

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:59 am

Did a proud boy just hold CNN hostage?

https://t.co/VhXGWksrMl

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am

I don't really have an opinion on this other than I never thought menthol was racially biased. My old man smoked 2 packs of Merit Menthol cigarettes every day for the last 20 years of his life.

---------------------------------------------

Last week, civil rights groups and African American health organizations, including the African American Tobacco Control Leadership Council, the NAACP, and the National Medical Association, sent a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services demanding that the Food and Drug Administration ban menthol in cigarettes.

“The predatory marketing of menthol cigarettes and other flavored tobacco products must be stopped and we should all recognize this as a social justice issue, and one that disproportionately impacts youth and communities of color,” the letter stated.

Menthol is a chemical added to cigarettes that give them a mint-like flavor. Congress has banned all other flavors from being added to tobacco products.

The FDA has a deadline of April 29 to respond to the issue, the result of a lawsuit filed last year. The FDA decision will occur in the midst of a highly charged racial atmosphere driven by the trial of Derek Chauvin, the police shootings of Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo, and the growing Black Lives Matter protests.

Racial rhetoric is reflected in the arguments of groups like the AATCL.

In a recent program, the AATCL stated, “Let's be clear. The tobacco ... industry that started the transatlantic slave trade and the enslavement of African people to feed its greed. ... The same industry that produces menthol cigarettes, e-cigarettes, blunt wrappers, little cigars and cigarillos has NEVER cared about the Black Community.”

Michelle Minton, a senior fellow at the libertarian Competitive Enterprise Institute, thinks that rhetoric might win the day.

“Absolutely, it makes a ban more likely to happen,” Minton said. “It’s using the language of social justice. ... There are some people who are cynically using this language in order to promote a political agenda.”

An estimated 16,000 African Americans die from lung cancer each year, and deaths due to smoking are about 18% higher for African Americans than whites, according to the University of California, San Francisco Smoking Cessation Leadership Center. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, African American adults have the highest percentage of menthol cigarette use of any racial group.

Civil rights organizations and anti-tobacco groups attribute the high rate of menthol cigarette use among African Americans to the advertising tactics of the tobacco industry.

“The industry … targeted the Black community with demeaning ads, exploitive imagery, racialized marketing, targeted pricing, community leader co-optation/payoffs, and more,” the AATCL stated.

The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids states on its website that “since the 1950s, the tobacco industry has targeted Black Americans with pervasive marketing of menthol cigarettes through sponsorship of community and music events, free sampling, magazine advertising and retail promotions.”

Minton disagrees that the advertising is necessarily why use of menthol cigarettes is higher among African Americans.

“It is fair to say that advertising of menthol cigarettes has been targeted to the black community,” Minton said. “Have blacks been manipulated into buying something harmful, or is it that blacks, for whatever reason, have a preference for menthol, and so advertising for menthol cigarettes has been targeted where it is most profitable?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:51 am

I used to smoke menthols, mainly b/c nobody ever wanted to bum one...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 am

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:34 pm
I wrote:I would say that is the root of racism. Here in the United States we call this philosophy: "inequality." That seems to be the catch all word for things that are manifestly unequal. And it is unequal. But its not just things that you can touch that make it unequal, its cultural differences as well. From the moment a white or Asian girl is born, she can dream of being married because that is likely to happen. For black girls or Hispanic girls, not even remotely likely anymore, at least not in the United States. That IS the inequality (something that government can only ruin, not fix.)
I should've known you'd figure out a way to channel this whole thing back into your standard rant...
I welcome debate and disagreement. But simply referencing my point (without explaining why you think it might be wrong) is lazy. Why reply at all hedge?

My point is valid. My standard rant defines what the inequality exactly is. I know math. I know demographics. And you and I both know who gets and does NOT get married. My way says, lets talk about this, lets unpack this, lets break down why exactly this is happening because this is in fact, a problem. Your way says, lets just pretend this point is stupid and ignore it. But it doesn't go away hedge.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:48 am

eCat wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:45 am
innocentbystander wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 pm
both I guess

its bad because is going to put a heavy financial burden on the federal government when you add Gen X along with the Boomers,

but it will open up a ton of jobs for Gen Y and Millineals.

It might be a compromise for the single payer crowd
I work on a team of 8, 4 software developers and 4 QA people

I am the only person on this team born in the United States

the other 7 are all born in India. There are no Gen-Y, no Millenials working on this team. Not unless you count the ages of the imported technical labor.

All 7 of those jobs could be done by Millenials or Gen-Y born in this country. But companies do not train anymore. Companies do not invest in people anymore (certainly not for information technology.) They just import India because they are lazy and cheap. The managers that import them have no idea what these people are doing. But they do know that US citizens largely can't do it. I had to take 3 interviews and was tested in all 3 of them to get this job.

We are cannibalizing ourselves by refusing to invest in our own children by refusing to give them a chance to make money. We assume they can't do anything other than smoke weed, play video games, and surf porn. And we outsource all the important work to other countries because we are fucking lazy. I fear that this kind of legislation will just exacerbate the problems for us economically.