Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 pm

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Prof Tiger & Sardis "All Things Considered" Theology Hut

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 pm

When I was in hospital admin, we had a practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine who wanted privileges at the medical center. Heh.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Can't read the whole article. But America is not very exceptional. Yes we have freedom. So does Canada, Europe, Australia, and some other places.

And yes, we are more religious than most, but we don't live it all that much.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:28 pm

If you google the article you can read it without subscription.

https://www.google.com/#q=wall+street+j ... ptionalism

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 am

AlabamAlum wrote:When I was in hospital admin, we had a practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine who wanted privileges at the medical center. Heh.
Church member had her gall bladder removed laparoscopically in September and suffered splitting headaches, along with a burning pain and tenderness where they did the surgery. After 10 weeks of agony and 10 fruitless trips to Kaiser (MRIs, cat scans, etc.), her daughter took her to a guy who looks in people's eyes and diagnoses their problems. She meets with the guy for 15 minutes and tells her her sodium levels are elevated, as is something else (I forgot what it was). He tells her to take some sodium detox pills that were available at the local health store, along with some other kind of leaf for two weeks. She does and 48 hours after seeing the eye guy she's symptom free and has remained so for over a month. No headaches, no burning or swelling at the surgery site.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:07 pm

You can also use:

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
Let 'er Blow!

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:41 pm

It worked on MacBeth...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I thought it was from elizabeth montgomery

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Placebo is the witch doctor's friend
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:When I was in hospital admin, we had a practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine who wanted privileges at the medical center. Heh.
Church member had her gall bladder removed laparoscopically in September and suffered splitting headaches, along with a burning pain and tenderness where they did the surgery. After 10 weeks of agony and 10 fruitless trips to Kaiser (MRIs, cat scans, etc.), her daughter took her to a guy who looks in people's eyes and diagnoses their problems. She meets with the guy for 15 minutes and tells her her sodium levels are elevated, as is something else (I forgot what it was). He tells her to take some sodium detox pills that were available at the local health store, along with some other kind of leaf for two weeks. She does and 48 hours after seeing the eye guy she's symptom free and has remained so for over a month. No headaches, no burning or swelling at the surgery site.

Sure. I've seen prayer, therapeutic touch, and crystals "work" too. The mind is a remarkable thing.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:28 am

[youtube]IpNRw7snmGM[/youtube]

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:43 pm

http://www.thegailygrind.com/2015/03/02 ... g.facebook

CHRISTIAN ACTIVIST FILES CALIFORNIA BALLOT MEASURE TO EXECUTE ALL GAY PEOPLE BY FIRING SQUAD

A Christian activist in California has filed a proposed ballot measure to create a ‘Sodomite Suppression Act’ that if passed, would execute all gay people in California by firing squad.

The ballot initiative was filed last week with the California Attorney General’s office in Sacramento by a man identified as Matt McLaughlin, who paid $200 to file the measure.
It claims: “The abominable crime against nature known as buggery, called also sodomy, is a monstrous evil that Almighty God, giver of freedom and liberty, commands us to suppress on pain of our utter destruction even as he overthrew Sodom and Gomorrha.”

“Seeing that it is better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God’s just wrath against us for the folly of tolerating-wickedness in our midst, the People of California wisely command, in the fear of God, that any person who willingly touches another person of the same gender for purposes of sexual gratification be put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.”

According to NCRM:

McLaughlin does not state if minors – say, high school students – would be treated as adults and included in the execution mandate.
The Sodomite Suppression Act (note it’s not the “Sodomy” Suppression Act, a clear indication that it’s LGBT people, not just homosexual sex that McLaughlin takes issue with) also calls for a one million dollar fine for each act of transmitting, distributing, or performing “sodomistic propaganda” to minors.

And McLaughlin’s bill would make it illegal for any gay person to hold public office, be employed by the state, or be granted any benefits, such as welfare, social security, or use any public assets, such as roads.

McLaughlin will have to get 365,000 legitimate California residents to sign up to support the Sodomite Suppression Act in order for it to move forward.

Wonkette has done its research and says that McLaughlin is likely the same person who in 2004 attempted to get the Bible in curriculum studies in public schools, an effort that would probably have been unconstitutional and cost the state about $200 million.

Below is the full text of the proposed Sodomite Suppression Act:

SODOMITE SUPPRESSION ACT
Penal Code section 39
a) The abominable crime against nature known as buggery, called also sodomy, is a monstrous evil that almighty God, giver of freedom and liberty, commands us to suppress on pain of our utter destruction even as he overthrew Sodom and Gomorrha.

b) Seeing that it is better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God’s just wrath against us for the folly of tolerating-wickedness in our midst, the People of California wisely command, in the fear of God, that any person who willingly touches another person of the same gender for purposes of sexual gratification be put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.

c) No person shall distribute, perform, or transmit sodomistic propaganda directly or indirectly by any means to any person under the age of majority. Sodomistic propaganda is defined as anything aimed at creating an interest in or an acceptance of human sexual relations other than between a man and a woman. Every offender shall be fined $1 million per occurrence, and/or imprisoned up to 10 years, and/or expelled from the boundaries of the state of California for up to life.

d) No person shall serve in any public office, nor serve in public employment, nor enjoy any public benefit, who is a sodomite or who espouses sodomistic propaganda or who belongs to any group that does.

e) This law is effective immediately and shall not be rendered ineffective nor invalidated by any court, state or federal, until heard by a quorum of the Supreme Court of California consisting only of judges who are neither sodomites nor subject to disqualification hereunder.

f) The state has an affirmative duty to defend and enforce this law as written, and every member of the public has standing to seek its enforcement and obtain reimbursement for all costs and attorney’s fees in so doing, and further, should the state persist in inaction over 1 year after due notice, the general public is empowered and deputized to execute all the provisions hereunder extra-judicially, immune from any charge and indemnified by the state against any and all liability.

g) This law shall be known as “The Sodomite Suppression Act” and be numbered as section 39 in Title 3 of the Penal Code, pertaining to offences against the sovereignty of the state. The text shall be prominently posted in every public school classroom. All laws in conflict with this law are to that extent invalid.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm

"Almighty God, giver of freedom and liberty, commands us to suppress"

Something's not quite scanning right there...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Speaking of Sodom and Gomorrah:

Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.” Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Read on, it gets even more salacious.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 am

I just like those instances (and there are plenty) of fucked up "morality" in the bible where, e.g., it's considered a virtue to save 2 guests who you have just met from being gang raped by offering up your virgin daughters instead. And this is the basis for christianity....

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 am

The Bible didn't claim it was a virtuous act by Lot. In fact, the messengers of God protected the daughters from the mob.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 am

He wasn't scorned for it, and it is presented as if it was the right thing to do. Certainly it wasn't presented as something unreasonable...

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:32 pm

hedge wrote:He wasn't scorned for it, and it is presented as if it was the right thing to do. Certainly it wasn't presented as something unreasonable...
Offering the daughters was heinous - but not as heinous as allowing a guest in your house to be mistreated. The ancient laws of hospitality in middle eastern bronze age culture predated Moses' giving the Law, but were later partially codified in Deuteronomy.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... ospitality

Behavior to Guests.
From these scattered references an idea can be formed of the manner in which a guest was received in an ancient Jewish household and of the relations that existed between guest and host. The latter would go out to meet the stranger on his way, and would ask no questions as to his name and condition until his first needs had been satisfied (Gen. xxiv. 33). On entering the house he was given water to wash his feet, and a meal was then put before him, his animals being meanwhile attended to (ib. xviii. 4; xix. 2; xxiv. 25, 32). During his stay the host felt himself personally responsible for any injury that might befall his guest (ib. xix. 8). On leaving, another repast was served (ib. xxvi. 30; Judges xix. 3), when a covenant was sometimes entered into by the guest and his host (Gen. xxvi. 31), and the latter again accompanied the stranger some distance on his way (ib. xviii. 16). On his part, the guest blessed the host before taking leave (ib. 10), and asked him whether he stood in need of anything (II Kings iv. 13). If the guest wished to remain in the clan or in the locality, he was permitted to select a dwelling-place (Gen. xx. 15).