innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by innocentbystander » Thu May 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Sidebar professor, you'll love this!

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... sm/239527/
Megan Mcardle wrote:In fact, we know of one culture that's very, very good at helping people build wealth: academia. Of course, academics start with a solid base: if you're a tenured professor, you are definitionally good at delaying gratification. But one thing you learn from financial reporting is that the ability to delay gratification in your career does not always translate into wise financial stewardship; there are lots and lots of doctors, lawyers, and MBAs who clearly had what it took to go through a long initiation process, and nonetheless manage to end up with no savings and a lifestyle that can't survive more than a few weeks of job loss or other financial distress. Academia pays modestly, and yet on average, tenured professors have quite a lot of wealth built up by the time they retire.

This is often attributed to TIAA-CREF, and sure, they're great. But having a great pension plan does not automatically make your workers wealthy--even the generous traditional defined-benefit plan will do no good if the worker spends everything they earn and arrives at retirement deeply in debt.

Academia produces wealth because academia stigmatizes conspicuous consumption. A professor with a jaguar can explain this as a personal eccentricity. A professor with a jaguar, a speedboat, a vacation home, a twice-yearly cruising habit, and a 5,000 square foot McMansion with a two-story atrium and a $1,000 a month heating bill, is going to get the fisheye from his colleagues. Yet many moderately successful salesmen would regard this as simply their due for working hard and succeeding--and would be reinforced in this by all the other salesmen with similar lifestyles. A professor's colleagues, who are apt to have a very good idea of what professors make, would be well aware that such a lifestyle represented very imprudent levels of debt and savings. Besides, academics, like journalists, have developed sour grapes to a high art: they quickly learn to regard expensive possessions as somewhat vulgar.

I'd be willing to bet that if you looked at places where academics don't predominantly socialize with other academics--full time professors at for-profit universities, or commuter schools, for example--you might well find that those professors have built less in the way of wealth than the average for their profession.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 pm

By Republican standards, most Israelis are insufficiently pro-Israel

Israel’s daily Maariv published a poll showing about 57 percent of voters believe Netanyahu should have supported Obama’s initiative, rather than opposing the president.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/politi ... 029855.php

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:San Francisco may ban circumcision:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... 91704.html
They need to talk to the UT football coach. Dooley runs the cleanest bunch in the country.
Worth. Every. Cent.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu May 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Our professor needs to go back to college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Sec ... _States%29

wiki wrote:Social Security is a social insurance program that is funded through dedicated payroll taxes called Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA). Tax deposits are formally entrusted to the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund, the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund, the Federal Hospital Insurance Trust Fund, or the Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Fund.

It is insurance.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/annuity.asp

What Does Annuity Mean?
A financial product sold by financial institutions that is designed to accept and grow funds from an individual and then, upon annuitization, pay out a stream of payments to the individual at a later point in time. Annuities are primarily used as a means of securing a steady cash flow for an individual during their retirement years.

Let's see: Social Security:

1.) "...accepts and grows funds from an individual" Check.

2.) "Then, upon upon annuitization [say, at, age 62-70] pays out a stream of payments to a later point in time..." Check.

3. "Primarily used as a means of securing a steady cash flow during retirement years." Check.

About the only difference between an annuity and social security is who issues it: the government or a financial institution.

Dumbass.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
Our professor needs to go back to college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Sec ... _States%29

wiki wrote:Social Security is a social insurance program that is funded through dedicated payroll taxes called Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA). Tax deposits are formally entrusted to the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund, the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund, the Federal Hospital Insurance Trust Fund, or the Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Fund.

It is insurance.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/annuity.asp

What Does Annuity Mean?
A financial product sold by financial institutions that is designed to accept and grow funds from an individual and then, upon annuitization, pay out a stream of payments to the individual at a later point in time. Annuities are primarily used as a means of securing a steady cash flow for an individual during their retirement years.

Let's see: Social Security:

1.) "...accepts and grows funds from an individual" Check.

2.) "Then, upon upon annuitization [say, at, age 62-70] pays out a stream of payments to a later point in time..." Check.

3. "Primarily used as a means of securing a steady cash flow during retirement years." Check.

About the only difference between an annuity and social security is who issues it: the government or a financial institution.

Dumbass.
Remember professor, YOU are the one who brought up the term "annuity."

Lets see, Social Security payments stop when you die. A similar product to that is a life annuity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_annuity
wiki wrote:A life annuity is a financial contract in the form of an insurance product according to which a seller (issuer) — typically a financial institution such as a life insurance company — makes a series of future payments to a buyer (annuitant) in exchange for the immediate payment of a lump sum (single-payment annuity) or a series of regular payments (regular-payment annuity), prior to the onset of the annuity.

There are two possible phases for an annuity:
  • The accumulation phase in which the customer deposits and accumulates money into an account, and ;
  • The distribution phase in which the insurance company makes income payments until the death of the annuitants named in the contract.
Insurance. Your annuity example that you equate to Social Security is insurance. Just like I said it was. Just like wiki said it was. And yet, you have the nerve to call me a dumbass. And why? Probably because I embarassed you.

Okay professor. When I am proven wrong on these forums, I am man enough to admit it. Here is what is going to happen next. As far as posters go, I actually have a lot of respect for you. What you say here adds value to this forum. And I learn things from our discussions. But at this point, I need you to do something for me.

I need you to swallow your pride and admit that you are wrong.

Prove that you can do that. Prove that you are a grown man. Swallow the pride. Admit that I was right, you were wrong, and we can move on. Because if you don't admit you were wrong, then that makes you the most arrogant, stuck-up, belligerant, pernicious, son-of-bitch, that ever lived. And I'm not sure I'll ever be able to treat you with respect from this point forward. You will have proven that you are undeserving of that respect.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu May 26, 2011 11:36 pm

IB. When was the last time your stuffy ass got laid? I'm not talking the wife saying, "Go ahead but hurry up, Tosh is on." I'm saying you rocked her world, the tv blew a fuse. 1991? Too late?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:IB. When was the last time your stuffy ass got laid? I'm not talking the wife saying, "Go ahead but hurry up, Tosh is on." I'm saying you rocked her world, the tv blew a fuse. 1991? Too late?
The thing is Rat, professor tiger is one of the few people here deserving of respect. At least he was prior to his last remark. But at this point, I'm starting to question that maybe I need to re-evaluate my opinion of him. He needs to prove he's a man now, is all.....

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 am

I'm betting he can prove he's a man before you can prove you are sane.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 am

Jungle Rat wrote:I'm betting he can prove he's a man before you can prove you are sane.
Well, we will find out....

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri May 27, 2011 12:25 am

We already know.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 am

Only a few years ago, what was then constitution shredding fascism, is now mainstream. We're f!cked.

One of the sections of the Patriot Act extended by Congress is the "roving wiretap" power, which allows federal authorities to listen in on conversations of foreign suspects even when they change phones or locations.

Another section gives the government access to the personal records of terrorism suspects; it's often called the "library provision" because of the wide range of personal material that can be investigated.

A third section is known as the "lone wolf" provision because it gives the government the authority to investigate foreigners who have no known affiliation with terrorist groups.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by crashcourse » Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 am

vermont's legislature has voted for a single payer system to come into effect by the year 2017

which means the vermont taxpayer will now be footing the bill and the vermont state government will run the medical system effectively socializing medicine much like obama care would do if the dems/obama can eventually get it through to fruition

so eventaully the insurance companies would be out of the medical insurance business, many more government employess, regulation oversite and admin pukes, capital;ism would disappear and those who work would increase there contributions while those who don't would continue to suck the workers dry

Dora
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Dora » Fri May 27, 2011 9:25 am

Personally, I have no problem with insurance company getting out of the healthcare biz. What I don't get is why this would lead to the end of capitalism. We had capitalism for most of our history without insurance companies running healthcare.
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 am

The only way you can take insurance out of healthcare is if doctors go back to accepting eggs and milk as payment for services rendered.

If Vermont wants to take on the insurance function, then more power to them - the people have spoken. If it doesn't work out, the major carriers will gladly come back. If it is a success, then it'll put health insurers and providers on notice.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Dora
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Dora » Fri May 27, 2011 10:04 am

The only way you can take insurance out of healthcare is if doctors go back to accepting eggs and milk as payment for services rendered.
I don't see why. I'm old enough to remember getting medical services directly from the doctor without having any insurance companies involved. The doctors always got paid with money.
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 am

No, puter was wrong. Bush first passed his tax cuts early in 2001.
Never said that was incorrect. I said the tax cuts were not FULLY put in place until 2003 and those were the larger portion of the cuts on the people who actually have more money to invest if you allow them to keep more of what they earned.

When they were the defecit started falling and revenues increasing because MORE people working and paying taxes is better then less people working and fewer people paying taxes.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri May 27, 2011 11:31 am

You'll only confuse them with facts, puter.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 am

Dora wrote:
I don't see why. I'm old enough to remember getting medical services directly from the doctor without having any insurance companies involved. The doctors always got paid with money.
Maybe there are a few Marcus Welby's still out there, Dora. But most doctors anymore won't take you on if you aren't backed by a guaranteed payer.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri May 27, 2011 11:34 am

In other news, the amateurs in the current administration have created yet another awkward international relations moment. I tell ya', someone could make a helluva compilation video of Obama's gaffes, if they were so inclined. I think he's actually beginning to rival Bush. At least Bush had eight years of material. Obama hasn't even finished one term.

[youtube]pNRXGRFJdDY[/youtube]
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Fri May 27, 2011 12:27 pm

lol

[youtube]dBVmUGN1uDo[/youtube]