Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by aTm » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:09 am

Jon Mark Beilue: Texas A&M's SEC-ession stems from emotions
Posted: August 20, 2011 - 9:17pm
Jon Mark Beilue

ADVERTISEMENT
It’s mid-October in 2014. Undefeated Texas and Oklahoma are playing at the Texas State Fair in Dallas. In Lubbock, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State — two teams with 4-1 records — meet that night.

Meanwhile, that afternoon, Vanderbilt, 1-4, limps into College Station to face 2-3 Texas A&M. If the Aggies can even their record against the lowly Commodores, their reward is a trip to Tuscaloosa to face Alabama and then a game with Auburn.

Hypothetical situation, to be sure. But not that out of the realm. And two or three years in the future is a better indicator if the events of the past 10 days will be a blessing for A&M or a regrettable decision.

That 10-year honor and commitment the remaining 10 teams made last summer to the Big 12 in the wake of Nebraska’s and Colorado’s departure was dutifully honored by A&M for every year but nine. The Aggies are soon heading for the nation’s No. 1 football conference, the Southeastern Conference.

A&M is giddy about the prospect of a place alongside Mississippi State at the SEC table. The Aggies are even more stoked of sticking it to Big Brother Bevo, the big bully in Austin, and that evil Longhorn Network.

No more toiling in the shadow of Texas for the last 70-plus years. Never mind that new shadow cast by Louisiana State, Auburn, Florida and Alabama, owners of the last five national titles with Florida twice winning it all. But it’s not Texas any more, and we’re in the SEC, dude!

Protocol and procedure are being carefully followed by SEC presidents and A&M officials over the next few weeks to ensure the SEC won’t be sued and a 14th conference team will be added. But there will be rioting in College Station streets and gnashing of teeth if A&M doesn’t get or turns down an SEC offer.

Imagine the Aggie reaction if some bare-chested clown from Tech ran down on Kyle Field’s hallowed turf and did the side-straddle-hop during the second quarter. Now multiply it by five if A&M lowers itself to remain in the shaky Big 12.

But once emotion subsides — if it ever does — the central questions are these: What are the Aggies running from, and what are they running to?

The Aggies say they are heading to the best football conference in the land, to reap the financial windfall from a lucrative TV contract, and to a recruiting boost from belonging to the SEC that will put them on even footing with Texas.

Ohhh-kay.

Aside from the last six games of last year, A&M, with all its facilities and support, has been the biggest underachiever in college football over the last decade. One Top 25 finish in the last 11 years? Granted, hopes are high in 2011, but is it temporary or a harbinger?

The Aggies are 1-9 in bowl games since the Big 12 was formed in 1996, an era in which they own a so-so 66-56 conference record. They are 0-6 in their last six games with SEC teams. No one is hiding the women and children in Tuscaloosa.

The financial windfall better be a good chunk, because it’s being reported A&M could be hit with as much as $30 million in exit fees by the Big 12. As for the recruiting boost, national recruiting analysts told the Dallas Morning News it would be “negligible.” SEC ties might increase A&M’s presence in Louisiana, and allow it to cherry-pick Florida, but would make little difference in their home state.

But Aggies can brag at the office that they’re the ninth best football program in the SEC.

So, what are they running from? A dying conference perhaps, which may be the most sensible reason in this whole scenario. The Big 12, with Barney Fife, er, Dan Beebe as commissioner, still seems vulnerable. If one more member leaves, the Big 12 can fold up shop like it almost did last year. Maybe A&M is just being proactive.

But the biggest reason is they are running from rival Texas and this Longhorn Network. They are moving because they can. For an outstanding university that still has an overblown inferiority complex to everything Burnt Orange, it feels good to take their ball and leave.

The Aggies say the catalyst for the move is this new 20-year, $300-million Longhorn Network that Texas created in partnership with ESPN. The network right now seems like a house of cards, though that could change.

Only one live football game — Rice at Texas — is secured. The rest of the Big 12 has resisted ESPN incentives to play on it to aid UT coffers. The NCAA ruled no high school games can be carried so the Horns can’t spotlight potential recruits.

And right now, no statewide carriers have signed on. One inevitably will, but who’s going to subscribe and watch besides UT fans anyway? In other words, what more advantage will UT gain among the considerable ones the ‘Horns already enjoy? Mack Brown has selected, not recruited, for 13 years in Austin.

Too bad A&M can’t be like Auburn, which will always live in Alabama’s shadow. Auburn just won a national title, went undefeated in 2004 and has had three Heisman Trophy winners. They seem to be doing all right.

A&M has let ego, pride and mob mentality cloud better judgment and kick tradition, rivalries and in-state heritage to the curb. When the giddiness subsides, and a few autumns pass, take heart: There’s always that game with Kentucky with the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl riding on the outcome.

Jon Mark Beilue is a columnist for the Globe-News. He can be reached at jon.beilue@amarillo.com or 806-345-3318. His blog appears on amarillo.com.
Lets see....its now 2016 and in early October, 2-2 Texas and 2-2 Oklahoma are playing at the Texas State Fair in Dallas. On FS1. At 11 o'clock in the morning. In Lubbock, Texas Tech will attempt to improve on its NCAA worst defense by holding an opponent below 45 points.

Meanwhile, that morning, ESPN College Gameday arrives in College Station to cover the 8th ranked undefeated Texas A&M Aggies against the undefeated 9th ranked Vols.. If the Aggies improve to 6-0 their reward is a trip to Tuscaloosa to face #1 Alabama and a chance to make the College Football Playoffs. Crystal ball must have been cloudy when he wrote that article, the rest of the article is as big of a joke.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:35 am

Didn't read it

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:51 am

I wish you would never read anything again.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:11 pm

"Imagine the Aggie reaction if some bare-chested clown from Tech ran down on Kyle Field’s hallowed turf and did the side-straddle-hop during the second quarter."

I wonder if that's the same one that robbed eCat's hotel...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:56 pm

I wish you would never read anything again.
Should of changed would to could.
Let 'er Blow!

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:09 pm

I guess someone took over my fantasy team. Must have been impressed with my 2-2 record.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

rush l on why the NFL ratings are down

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/ ... gs_decline

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:44 am

Plus the idiot announcers never shut up. The explanation of the replay rule ad nauseum.
Let 'er Blow!

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:03 am

bluetick wrote:Image

aTm,

hi
[tweet]784747763133091840[/tweet]

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Well, we out-lucked them.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:50 am

I watched that game and the Houston/Navy game.

Both were fun.

The Notre Dame /NC St game was a hot mess
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:33 am

The way it should be. Florida/LSU should have been played yesterday. Don't tell me Gainesville Emergency Services would have been pushed to the limit. That's bullshit. Football is an any weather sport (except lightning and tornado). Kudos to NC State for keeping it real.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:40 pm

bengals are getting their ass handed to them so far

Eifert needs to get healthy
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Tom Brady is going to want blood.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Somebody scooped the world...

[tweet]788055928398458881[/tweet]

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Wasn't it Crow who scooped the world? What was the scoop, though? I can't recall...

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:09 pm

Something about Huggins and a leathern couch.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 pm

That's right, it was "Huggs to..." I can't remember where, but it was wrong...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Denver.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:11 pm

BYU and UC to the Big 12 is apparently going to happen.