eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:37 pm

We went thru 2 coaches to end that 10 year drought
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 pm

10-year? I thought it was 14 years between titles.

UK looks bad this year, too, but the good thing about Cal's system is you know the next year will bring in another bumper crop. Roy apparently is bringing in another crop of top 50 players, like Dave Odom in a good year at Wake.

If you're not getting at least one of the top 5 or 6 players in the country, or the top PG, your chances of winning it all are pretty low, IMO.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm

We're not in the midst of a 10 year drought. Seriously, if Marshall hadn't gotten injured and we had beaten UK for the NC last year (not saying we would have, but certainly there was more than a decent chance of that happening), everybody would be calling Roy one of the alltime greats and not worrying about shit. He would've had 3 NC's in 8 years, including the last one against UK, narrowing the alltime gap to one title. I know that didn't happen (and may not have happened even if Marshall hadn't gotten injured), but if it had happened, the whole world would look differently to UNC fans right now, but the fact is, Roy had put together that team and put us in a good position to make that happen, and then Marshall sustains a season ending injury squashes that possibility. That's not on Roy, he did his job. All I'm saying is that even if we had won the NC last year, from the standpoint of what Roy did to make it happen, there's no difference b/w how the season ended last year vs. if we had won it all. Sure, there would be a huge fucking difference in how UNC fans felt, sassing rights, etc, and that of obviously massively important as a fan. But as far as Roy's role and what he has any power over, he did all he could do. And I suspect he'll do it at least one more time before he hangs up his whistle. Won't be this year and probably not next, but I feel pretty good that it will happen at some point...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Saint wrote:10-year? I thought it was 14 years between titles.

UK looks bad this year, too, but the good thing about Cal's system is you know the next year will bring in another bumper crop. Roy apparently is bringing in another crop of top 50 players, like Dave Odom in a good year at Wake.

If you're not getting at least one of the top 5 or 6 players in the country, or the top PG, your chances of winning it all are pretty low, IMO.

next year is shaping up pretty well, but I still like this years team. They aren't a title team but I think they have a pretty high ceiling especially now that Harrow has decided he wants to be a serviceable PG.

I can't help but get pissed at the UK fans that are dogging the players and Cal right now. Shit, we just won a title, like you said, after 14 years and looks like we might win 1 or 2 more before Cal bows out. If the sum of your life is to go talk shit to a kid on facebook because he isn't as good as Anthony Davis or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

I mean shit - if you ain't happy with this team, all I have to say is two words - Bobby Perry.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Roy is just feeling the heat because of Cal - UK is a black hole in recruiting and its hurting the teams these kids would normally go to - and top of the list is UNC.

The gap between great teams may span an additional year or so with UNC as long as Cal is doing his thing but Roy will build teams similar to what IU looks like this year and Kansas did last year where solid returning players will still play a major role.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:55 pm

I think that may be true to a certain extent but Roy is feeling more heat from what a certain black-haired 60-year old 8 miles down the road is doing. I just hope Jabari Parker turns out to be K's Harrison Barnes.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

This is silly.

UNC is always good in hoops. Sure they may not be awesome every year, but they are a traditional powerhouse who almost always (not every year, but almost every year) makes the tourney.

Yeah, you might only win 21 games this year instead of your normal 25, but you'll still creep into the tourney as an 11 or a 12 in your bracket, no problem.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:17 pm

might not win 21 this year but you're right, they're not going to suck for an extended period.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Saint wrote:might not win 21 this year but you're right, they're not going to suck for an extended period.
You are not going to suck AT ALL. BC "sucked" last year. We might "suck" this year. UNC will not "suck" in hoops.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm

it's been done before. and BC will probably beat Carolina

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Well, everything is relative. What we call sucking, BC would probably find more than acceptable. Look at UK's run b/w their last two NC's. Almost any program in the nation would die to have that record, but for UK it was an epic drought. Fans freaking out, coaches being chased down the hall by reporters. It depends on what you're used to...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:20 pm

It looks like goldenbrae is finally getting through to you numskulls...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Saint wrote:it's been done before. and BC will probably beat Carolina
the last time that happened was (what?) 19 fucking years ago?

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Doh!
Last edited by AugustWest on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Saint wrote:
AugustWest wrote:Stu accuses Dan Kane of "cutting a few corners" while he and his paper have completely ignored the largest scandal in the history of college athletics and one of the largest in State history. Corners? You've ignored the whole fucking thing.
More hyperbole from the redfaced fringe. You must have forgotten your lengthy diatribe that I pub-lished in our paper. It didn't attract a single online reader comment. Most people probably fell asleep after the first thousand words

I also have run every AP story that has come out on UNC's problems and even wrote a column (an award-winning one as it turns out) on UNC's lack of oversight. That's about the extent of our coverage of the situation, since our downsizing has kept us more focused on local events. We staffed maybe 2 ACC football games this year and have been to one basketball game and of those 3, 2 have involved East Carolina. You should be directing this rant toward the Cary News or the Apex Herald, not a paper 75 miles away from Chapel Hill....Dumbass
How does ME writing something for YOUR paper constitute you not ignoring it? All that does is make me the tutor to your McAdoo minus the plagiarism (unless of course you put your name on the column. Which of course still puts us light years ahead of your AFAM department.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 pm

duh, because I gave space in my section to your halfwit hypotheses.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Halfwit hypothesis that U*NC cheats it's ass off and the BOG needs to do it's job and stop it?

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 pm

yes, of course. action like that would befoul the entire system. you can't have the flagship taking on water. hell, if that happened, the lesser craft would surely perish as well. surely they would.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am

uhhhhhhh CREIGHTON!

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 pm

onion eyed gudgeon wrote:Dear Dook: play somebody.

Dear Dick: STFU. Retire already, addled sack of crap.

Dear SEC: Your football teams mostly suck. Oregon would kick your overrated asses.

That is all.

Go Arizona....

Hmmmmm. Duke has played at the time #3 Kentucky, #2 Louisville and #4 Ohio State and the current #8 Minnesota.
Arizona's best opponents, SDSU and Florida.

Oregon who?
My Dad is my hero still.