Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by Saint » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:51 am

Anthony Teachey, dipshit, not Andrew.

Yeah, that old 4-A Mid-Eastern Conference was stacked. I think Kinston was in it until they built Hunt and Beddingfield and started the 4-A Big East Conference.

Between Goldsboro, Kinston and Rocky Mount, there are some pretty good hoops hotbeds in eastern NC. Unfortunately, we've had nothing of the kind in Wilson other than the state's all-time winningest coach in Harvey Reid.

I remember when I went to Australia in '91, Cecil Exum was a star player there in the NBL. I had no idea that's what he had been doing.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 am

Kinston was in it. Fuck Kinston. Southern Wayne, Eastern Wayne and Goldsboro all became 3-A schools (goldsboro is 2-A now) and were in the same conference with Kinston when I was in school. Any games pitting those schools against each other were always crazy. You had to get into the gym before the jv game ended around 5:30 to get a seat before the fire department made them lock the door.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:06 am

Too bad they didn't lock the doors from the outside and then set the building on fire...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:25 am

Kinston also 2-A now and they just win every year.

I was a stat keeper for the 4-A East Regional at Hunt in 1984 (the year Fike won it all) and Kinston, with Charles Shackelford, played Goldsboro. Kinston was in our conference then but the old hatred was churned up. I remember the Kinston fans, mostly country white folks, screaming epithets at Cougars head coach Norvell Lee, who was the NC prep version of Nolan Richardson replete with '80s jeri curl. Nothing profane but stuff like, "Yew deserve ta die cuz yore a sorry excuse fer a humin been'!" Norvell just looked at his hecklers, seated less than 10 feet from him, then looked down at me and smiled and winked.

I liked that guy ever since. He went on to St. Aug and won an NAIA title before he had a heart attack and died in a wreck the following fall.

The stories of games from the '70s and '80s in eastern NC high school gyms are great. Like the time Oral Roberts himself came to see Phil Ford play at Rocky Mount. back then, ORU was a major hoops school.

I wonder if the kids today are going to have stories in 20 years about Cal, Coach K and Roy coming to Kinston to watch Brandon Ingram.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 am

Oral Roberts was a major hoops school?

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Norvell Lee's wife worked with my mother. He was a fine man. He had a heart attack and that led him to wreck his car.

Kinston High is all black now. There might be ten white kids in the entire school.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:19 pm

DooKSucks wrote:Norvell Lee's wife worked with my mother. He was a fine man. He had a heart attack and that led him to wreck his car.

Kinston High is all black now. There might be ten white kids in the entire school.

Much like Goldsboro High.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 pm

I hear Aunt Bea's sciatica is acting up again.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:55 am

I'm not a Colts fan by any stretch but I'm over the Patriots dominating football.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 am

Yeah that was just a good ole fashion ass whipping. The Colts played on their heels from the first kickoff. They were just out manned on every side of the field.

However, with that being said, if this recent incident of cheating is true, then every NFL fan should be writing the Commish and make them hit the Pats with a 2 year ban on ALL draft picks. This wouldn't be the first time they have cheated and just losing a few draft pics isn't good enough.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 am

Oh the Packers fan must love how that karma tastes in their collective cheese eating gullets today.......
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Couldn't have happened to a bigger douchebag fan base...fuck the Pack and their fans/"owners"...
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:57 pm

The only NFL games I watch in any year are the conference championships and the Super Bowl, and I don't watch those every year. I don't really care who wins or loses, certainly not b/w any of the 4 teams in it this year, but that was pretty fun to watch yesterday, in a perverse sort of way. Total implosion by the Pack. If Rodgers hadn't been on a bum leg, I think they would've scored a TD on that last drive. But it should've never come down to that...

I pretty much turned the Pats game off after they scored on the opening drive in the second half. Turned the channel to watch something else and when I turned it back, they had scored 2 more TD's. Not gonna be a good day for the local Pey-pey fans if the Pats win it all (again). rickert will have a field day...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:16 pm

I like the Packers because of Randall Cobb. He's about the only UK player of note in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong - UK has produced some great punters over the years but you know ---our environment is ideal for that
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 am

Goldsboro high doesn't even have that many white kids. However, they have some white kids who are eligible to play sports there because of some magnet programs that operate as separate schools within GHS' facilities. Those kids get to play on GHS should they choose to play.
Saint wrote:
DooKSucks wrote:Norvell Lee's wife worked with my mother. He was a fine man. He had a heart attack and that led him to wreck his car.

Much like Goldsboro High.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am

Does Brogden have a magnet school? What about Mar-Mac? I mean, besides a hog magnet...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 am

Where did you go to high school, DS?

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:23 am

Southern Wayne

I assume you are talking about the Wayne County Brogden and not the Johnston County version. Both are rural, but Wayne County has a darker persuasion...

The only magnets they have are the ones on their freezer.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 pm

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:07 pm

What's the name of that little burg you grew up in? I'm thinking Duplin, but I know that's the county south of Wayne Co., but for some reason I'm thinking it sounds something like Duplin...