Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by bluetick » Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Wait. The 80 yr old brits had to wait outside of emergency rooms for 20 and 7 minutes respectfully?

The last time I showed up at the ER, with a kid with a tourniquet on his leg, the wait was 45 minutes (Park West, puter - surprised?). The place was packed with indigents and hispanics/latinos. Probably half of those in front of us were receiving non-emergency treatment (again - no surprise). Yessir, we gladly took our place behind those pioneering Americans (or non-
Americans) who have the inalienable God-given right to forego mandatory health coverage in favor of guaranteed on-demand ER treatment regardless of ability or inclination to pay. Hallelujah! (or Aleluya!, con por favor)
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 23, 2011 3:01 pm

...and I LOVE California.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will052211.php3
George Will wrote:Brown's plan for balancing the budget is to close about half of the deficit with reductions and fund shifts already approved, and the rest by tax increases. Republican resistance to the taxes is explained by facts provided by Troy Senik, writing in the Manhattan Institute's City Journal:

"Californians already labor under sales-tax rates usually reserved for states without income taxes (at 8.25 percent, the nation's highest) and sharply progressive income-tax rates usually reserved for states without sales taxes (the state's top rate is 10.55 percent, and it doesn't allow you to deduct your federal taxes, as some states with income taxes do)."

Those tax levels are surely related to these demographic facts: Between 2000 and 2010, Los Angeles gained fewer people than in any decade since the 1890s, and Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area have the slowest growth rates since the end of Spanish rule. For the first time since 1920, the Census did not award California even one additional congressional seat.
Yes, all those "additional" seats went to Texas.

Growing up in Massachusetts in the 1980s, California was (IMHO) the perfect place to live. All I wanted to do is grow-up, go to college, move to California, get a job writing code, buy a condo on the coast, and lay on the beach. To me, that would be the perfect life, the DREAM life. I could only say that then because I didn't know any better.

Today, all California is to me, is a place where I must drive to so my daughter can see the Disney Princesses, the panda at the San Diego Zoo, the dolphins at Sea World, and the location of the Carnival cruise ship port. Beyond that, until California takes some serious austerity measures, this beautiful beach state might wind up in the financial mess of other beach "states" like Greece, Spain, Italy, and Portugal!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm

"knowing that all you have to do is show up each morning, straight and sober, you keep your job harkens back to Industrialized America. That is not the world in which we all now live."

Showing up each morning straight and sober was never the world in which I've lived...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Dora
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Dora » Mon May 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Showing up each morning straight and so ... e lived...

And you still kept your job, right?
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon May 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Don't miss Muir woods...Yosemite..or Tahoe....other than that, it's a place business goes to die, and illegals go for birthing.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Don't miss Muir woods...Yosemite..or Tahoe....other than that, it's a place business goes to die, and illegals go for birthing.
Not too many business relocate TO California. Many business are CREATED in California (what with supply of a technical, educated, workforce and their access to capital/credit) but then those businesses born there, if they wish NOT to die (as you've stated), they typically relocate elsewhere.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Californians are content to severely damage their own critical agriculture industry and put a million people out of work just to preserve a (supposedly) endangered mouse or snail darter fish. They deserve to be impoverished for their own lunatic choices.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Poll on GOP:

Romney 20 percent
Undecided 20 percent
Sarah Palin 12 percent
Gingrich 9 percent
Giuliani 7 percent
Ron Paul 5 percent
Bachmann 4 percent
Herman Cain 4 percent
Mitch Daniels 4 percent
Pawlenty 3 percent
Santorum 3 percent
Jon Huntsman, Gary Johnson and Buddy Roemer all received less than 1 percent.

http://suffolk.edu/46652.html
My Dad is my hero still.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Owlman wrote:Poll on GOP:

Romney 20 percent
Undecided 20 percent
Sarah Palin 12 percent
Gingrich 9 percent
Giuliani 7 percent
Ron Paul 5 percent
Bachmann 4 percent
Herman Cain 4 percent
Mitch Daniels 4 percent
Pawlenty 3 percent
Santorum 3 percent
Jon Huntsman, Gary Johnson and Buddy Roemer all received less than 1 percent.

http://suffolk.edu/46652.html
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/ ... shire.html

Unfortunately, Real Clear Politics hasn't updated it's site yet. They still display Huckabee and Trump as GOP candidates.

Basically, all that matters is the GOP nominate the candidate that has the greatest likelihood of getting the most moderates to vote GOP and not for President Obama in 2012. All signs tend to indicate that person is Mitt Romney. (That was who it was 3 years ago, but the GOP went and fucked it all up on pure name recognition.)

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Don't know if he'll win the nomination but I think Pawlenty is the strongest candidate. He bring Indiana definitely (although it'll be very hard for the President to win there), and compete in Ohio which will be the primary determinant imo. I don't think Romney will compete with Obama in Michigan nor Massachusetts.
My Dad is my hero still.

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Californians are content to severely damage their own critical agriculture industry and put a million people out of work just to preserve a (supposedly) endangered mouse or snail darter fish. They deserve to be impoverished for their own lunatic choices.
I'd love to just say "Dang right!", but... that's a big ol chunk of farm land they're not planting on for a rat.
Worth. Every. Cent.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati

Post by TheBigMook » Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 pm

There is plenty of farmland they are planting on. I've seen it. And the farmers still have their "Congress Created Dust Bowl" signs up on property that they are putting in saplings for orchards on (we've had two straight years of crazy wet weather). I hate hipocrisy on any side.
THE OG SSG

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 am

Owlman wrote:Don't know if he'll win the nomination but I think Pawlenty is the strongest candidate. He bring Indiana definitely (although it'll be very hard for the President to win there), and compete in Ohio which will be the primary determinant imo. I don't think Romney will compete with Obama in Michigan nor Massachusetts.
Uhhhhhh, Romney WON Michigan AND Massachusetts in the 2008 Primary. Mitt Romney is HUGELY POPULAR in both Michigan and Massachusetts. Yup, if he gets the nomination, rest assured Owl, he wins both of those blue states by 5 points or more.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 am

Not in 2012. Romney is running against everything he said he was for in Massachusetts and he was against the very successful bailout of GM. Big mistake in Michigan.

But hey, maybe you're right.
My Dad is my hero still.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati

Post by TheBigMook » Tue May 24, 2011 1:38 am

[youtube]KR_EILTrhmo[/youtube]
THE OG SSG

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 am

Owlman wrote:Not in 2012. Romney is running against everything he said he was for in Massachusetts and he was against the very successful bailout of GM. Big mistake in Michigan.

But hey, maybe you're right.
Romney is an automobile guy that came from an automobile family in Michigan. His dad was President of AMC. Romney was against the bailout not because he is against GM and automobiles. Instead, he was against the union getting everything (which they did) at the expense of the company and (first in line) bond-holders.

Romney wants GM to build cars that they can actually sell. This bailout that the Obama administration gave GM in 2009 does not (in anyway) help GM sell cars. GM made profits the last few quarter by selling off assets like Delphi and such, NOT by selling cars (certainly not enough of them.) You can't sell a car when you are hamstrung on what chasis you can build. GM is hamstrung on the Chasis because (due to their Obama bailout) they are beholden to the unions/collective bargaining and current factory locations.

You don't think Romney is aware of ALL of this?

GM needs another Cadillac CTS, only they need that fantastic piece of engineering to sell like the 1965 Mustang, and they need it NOW. That bailout didn't give them what they really needed.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 am

, he was against the union getting everything (which they did) at the expense of the company and
The bailout worked. Simple message. Romney was agaisnt it.

Romney:
My Dad is my hero still.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 am

Owlman wrote:
, he was against the union getting everything (which they did) at the expense of the company and
The bailout worked.
...for the union. NOT for the company (and certainly not for the bond holders or the stock holders.) You think they really want to build these Chevy Volts?

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue May 24, 2011 2:28 am

and certainly not for the bond holders or the stock holders

The exact people it shouldn't have worked for.
My Dad is my hero still.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue May 24, 2011 2:32 am

Owlman wrote:and certainly not for the bond holders or the stock holders

The exact people it shouldn't have worked for.
That depends if you have invested money in GM.