Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Tennessee Volunteers

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Limit the turnovers and you will. That was the only problem I saw.

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Turnovers and poor OL play. We should have been able to open a few more holes and do a better job in the running game. The OL players said after the game that Montana lined up in a way that they weren't prepared for. So maybe the coaches can make some corrections. It looked like they gave Bray (and later Simms) pretty good protection in the pocket for the most part. But again, this was Montana we're talking about, not an SEC team.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the first game. Still too early to draw any conclusions, though.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

RCsoda
Recruit

Post by RCsoda » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:20 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:RC,

Welcome.

You have to have a few posts in before the approval process is removed.
Thanks for the heads up, AA. I was wondering why it didn't show up when I posted it.
To err may be human, but to admit it isn't.

MackDaddyT
Recruit
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by MackDaddyT » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Not a bad Labor Day. The Gamecocks are crowing here, but I kept reminding them that the Old Ball Sack will cost them eventually. Visor Boy ain't happy unless he's juggling 2 qbs, whether Shaw is ready for not (he ain't).

Oh well, time to get ready for the Bearcats.

Orangefreak
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Orangefreak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Hacksaw wrote:The OL players said after the game that Montana lined up in a way that they weren't prepared for.

Eh... what exactly does that mean?! That sounds bizaar to me. Did they offer to explain that?
Let the Jones era begin

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Alright... The Big Orange Hotline is on now. I guess Vol Calls is on Wednesday night?
Let the Jones era begin

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by GBJs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

RCsoda wrote:Hey, guys. Hope you all had a good summer.
Good to see ya RC!
Worth. Every. Cent.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:22 pm

They didn't elaborate about the way the defense confused them. Hopefully the coaches can work it out with them so they don't continue to be as easily confused.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm sitting here listening to the show. A lot of talk of Cincinnati. They are saying Cinci plays about the same way Montona does. Considering how our OL did, for them to see more of the same this weekend against a better team doesn't sound good. They are also talking about their last two seasons and how Cinci returned just about all their players this season who are all upper classmen. Folks, we've got our hands full this weekend. Cinci maybe one of the better teams we face all year.
Let the Jones era begin

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 pm

My understanding of it is that Montana put 8-9 in the box and Dooley didn't allow them to check out of it. Worked them in the run game even when the numbers were against them, but it was intentional I think.

Montana was supposed to be good on the defensive front and we never even ran a play action pass or anything to loosen them up.

We should have been able to blow through them even with 9 in the box, but I think Dooley was using them to work on the run game as opposed to trying to run up the score etc.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Late update. Didn't take any good pics of where we were on Saturday.

Left our place with Tawkins about 4:25 and amazingly enough my wife's cousin and her room mate where up and ready to go so we packed them in the van with us and got down there about 4:45. The girls earned some serious tailgate cred for that.

Spot we had scoped was open with nothing roped off. A couple of vendors were in the back lot on the concrete/blacktop.

We unload and setup while the other three groups that used to be near us begin arriving. While finishing up the BKW Seasonings guys who were the vendor on the concrete asked if we could move two of the other groups forward some. We figured they had some right to the area and that they could get UT to force us to move so we did and all was cool. They said they had 200 people coming etc. That was bullshit. They set up one more pop-up tent and cornhole where two of our other groups were. They never had close to 200 people there. We had far more the whole time. Just saying.

Two are playing soccer now so I had to bail at 9 and come back when both games were over. While I was gone someone from BKW called UT and eventually a UT cop came over and asked who we were with. Said it was a vendor area and we couldn't be there next week. Apparently the cop was being a dick trying to get a rise out of people there to have an excuse to kick everyone out right now. Nobody rose to the bait.

So anyway we had all four tailgates mashed together. Very crowded and hard to move around, but I suppose BKW could have demanded we be moved that day. If we were all in our original spreadout locations it would have been very nice.

I saw two guys with clipboards who looked like they were in charge of something and went up and bugged them and it turned out that one was the head of all the on-campus events for gamedays like this. He said we did nothing wrong because it wasn't marked off in any way. Turns out another in our groups knows him and there is a meeting that occurs every week to discuss such things. All we want to know is where we are allowed to be. For some reason they don't want people setting up on to levels of Thompson Boling which would seem to be a perfect place.

We have other areas scoped out and nobody will beat us timewise, but it would be nice to get some confirmation either way. I understand if someone has paid for something.

As far as the tailgating goes it was fing hot. Had a few redbull and vodkas, at least 20 jello shots, and way to much Jager because I would pour some shots for people and then the pussies would decline to take them. Well I can't dump the damn things, so I ended up taking way to many Jager shots out of the new cooler.

I was changing clothes in the van in the garage when the heavy winds started. Saw the corner of our tents with 70-80 lb concrete weights holding them down lift off the ground about 3 feet before someone grabbed the corners and held them down. Ironically Tawkins was whining about me getting the concrete out of the van saying we wouldn't need it. I mercilessly reminded him of that as we were holding the tents down during the storm.

LOTS of water and enough wind that it turned the sat dish about 90 degrees. Not as much lightning as Oregon. Not even close. Much windier though and kind of out of nowhere.

Will get some pics of it all this week no matter where we end up.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 pm

Tick,

U guys have any issues up your way? I know the guys who beat us for tailgater of the year set up in the median behind the comm bldg, but they didn't show until 10 am and were surprised that someone else had grabbed their spot. I also know those guys, Ryder.

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 am

Yeah, that's fine BOJ. I guess I can understand that; Dooley wants the o-line to learn and get better. It's best to keep it simple for them. Instead of having them shift all over the place which confuses things, it keeps it simple for them I would think. This probably carried over into the play calling and such as well. Still, it's a bit painful to watch. :(
Let the Jones era begin

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 am

puterbac wrote: While I was gone someone from BKW called UT and eventually a UT cop came over and asked who we were with. Said it was a vendor area and we couldn't be there next week. Apparently the cop was being a dick trying to get a rise out of people there to have an excuse to kick everyone out right now. Nobody rose to the bait.
That sucks puter. I hope you find a good spot. Be sure to keep us up to date on where you will be at. I came to a game last year. Unfortunately, I had to arrive at the k-town so late I didn't get a chance to swing by. I don't know if I'll make it to a game this year or not. If I do, I hope to swing by if time to meet/greet if time allows.
Let the Jones era begin

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey RC, Tone, and MDT!

puter, we don't put up tents so I was in my seat in S 5 minutes before the original kickoff. I heard there were a few mangled pop-ups - glad you had the concrete.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:48 pm

I learned my lesson in 2002 Miami game. I tie/strap them down no matter what. Without that 70+ lbs on there theose tents would have flown up REAL fast and bent all the polls and likely gashed somebody sitting underneath.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Well we heard back from the head guy at UT today and the entire grassy area is first come first serve.

So we are still in the same spot and can spread back out like we originally had it setup. Whichever vendor is there can't force us to move anything and we have the head guys cell phone number to call if there are any problems. Good deal.

Now someone else could set something up before us of course.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:24 pm

See ya there.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:00 pm

You'll be alright as long as that cop hasn't been paid off by some vendor.

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by GBJs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 pm

K-town cops? On the take?

Gotta get up pretty early in the mornin' to fuck with Puter's tailgatin'!
Worth. Every. Cent.