The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Who is Zig Zigler? Sounds like an evil Superman foe.
Book writer and salesman.

He has the God given gift of "fast talk." He can sell ice to an Eskimo. From the moment he was born, he was going to be rich because his confidence can charm the money right out of your wallet faster than Justin Beiber can charm your daughter out of her panties.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Why am I not shocked to learn that you're a huge Justin Beiber fan?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you IB for ruining my question with your Bieber obsession. Fuckin homo.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 pm

The burden of proof on the prosecutors will be to show that the defendant (Dunn) shot with intent to harm. Based on the story, this may be relatively easy. Then the defendant (Dunn) will have to show that he was at some risk (he'll have to produce some evidence that there was a gun (a shotgun at that). The difference in this case, much more likely that some video of the incident is available.

Shooting death of black teen puts Florida law back under spotlight

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-death-bl ... 20741.html
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Yep, I read that this morning off of my Twitter feed.

Just strike that fucking law.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Thank you IB for ruining my question with your Bieber obsession. Fuckin homo.
Hmmmmm, me thinks you doth protest too much.

I didn't say Bieber would charm the panties off of me Colonel Frank Fitts.

Apparently (with your reference to one's sexuality, if you actually believe in all that sexuality crap), Bieber can charm the panties right off of you.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am

I went to a school board meeting last night. The meeting was held at the high school and was intended to discuss community priorities for cutting funding due to the school levy not passing.

Our school is about to undergo some drastic cost cutting measures. There were maybe 200 people in attendance and I'd guess that 4 out of 5 people that spoke were there to specifically discuss them not cutting the music department. They are already cutting out transportation, 32 teachers at the elementary school level and bumping class sizes to 30.

One senior citizen got up there to gloat about the levy failing and tell everyone to kiss his ass, the seniors ain't paying shit. Why is it that every Senior citizen has to tell people how hard they worked, sacrificed to save every dime before they tell us they live on a fixed income and can't afford a tax increase? I mean, wouldn't a more effective speech be - I didn't learn shit in school and look at me, I'm rich Bitch! The I dug ditches for a living, so should you approach just don't have the intended impact. I think they get up there and just motivate everyone want to pay more for school. I guess after thinking about it, I'd take that speech over the "here is what's wrong with me this week" health report. News flash - you're old. You're going to pee 3 times a night, have bad knees and sweat while you eat. Fucking take some pills and watch the Weather Channel. The best part was after telling everyone to kiss his ass, he throws the microphone down and walks out. He was not going to sit around and listen to bullshit about parents forming a volunteer group to clean the schools to save on custodial fees.

I don't know - I'll probably be just like him when I'm 70. Then again, I might just stay home and sit in front of a space heater
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 am

The MIF just bought a new space heater. It's nice...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:15 am

it is one of those quartz infra red jobbers?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 am

I haven't delved that deeply into it yet, but it does warm the space better than the stationary non-blowing unit that looked like an old timey radiator that we had before...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 pm

eCat wrote:I went to a school board meeting last night. The meeting was held at the high school and was intended to discuss community priorities for cutting funding due to the school levy not passing.

Our school is about to undergo some drastic cost cutting measures. There were maybe 200 people in attendance and I'd guess that 4 out of 5 people that spoke were there to specifically discuss them not cutting the music department. They are already cutting out transportation, 32 teachers at the elementary school level and bumping class sizes to 30.

One senior citizen got up there to gloat about the levy failing and tell everyone to kiss his ass, the seniors ain't paying shit. Why is it that every Senior citizen has to tell people how hard they worked, sacrificed to save every dime before they tell us they live on a fixed income and can't afford a tax increase? I mean, wouldn't a more effective speech be - I didn't learn shit in school and look at me, I'm rich Bitch! The I dug ditches for a living, so should you approach just don't have the intended impact. I think they get up there and just motivate everyone want to pay more for school. I guess after thinking about it, I'd take that speech over the "here is what's wrong with me this week" health report. News flash - you're old. You're going to pee 3 times a night, have bad knees and sweat while you eat. Fucking take some pills and watch the Weather Channel. The best part was after telling everyone to kiss his ass, he throws the microphone down and walks out. He was not going to sit around and listen to bullshit about parents forming a volunteer group to clean the schools to save on custodial fees.

I don't know - I'll probably be just like him when I'm 70. Then again, I might just stay home and sit in front of a space heater
35 years ago (1977), when that elderly person was 40 and his kids were 12 and 14, a teacher made between $8,000 to $12,000/year. That is the shit pay that they got, a maximum of $12,000 a year (and in expensive states like California no less.) And yet, there were people lining up to be teachers for that shit pay because they wanted summers off and teaching allowed them the benefit of a shorter day so they could spend time with their kids. They lined up for shit pay because they wanted the lifestyle. Teaching was a profession for single women still living at home with their parents or women married to men who worked supporitng the family making real money.

Today, teachers make (in some cases) $75,000/year. And more in some states. And they still work the same 180 day school year. Maybe their workday went up from 6 hours a day to 6.5 hours a day, but the pay for teaching is dramatically different. LO AND BEHOLD cities and towns are having an almost impossible time stretching their budgets to educate the children. LO AND BEHOLD those same towns ask (in fact beg) the tax payers for tax increases mostly to fund the education budget. The real reason here is that teaching has gone WAY UP in earning power over the last 35 years, it far more lucrative.

That elderly person you are bitching about, what he wanted to say (but couldn't) is that your town pays its teachers too much. If they cut the teacher salaries in half, there would be no problem (because there are so many young people who aren't working who want to be teachers.) But they can't roll back salaries because they are civil servants with pension and tenure. YOUR TOWN IS FUCKED. You signed a contract to give these teachers the big bucks and LO AND BEHOLD you have no money to pay them.

That kiss his ass senior citizen you mentioned who shakes when he eats and pees 3 times a night remembers when a teacher made $8,000 a year and is pissed off at people in his community for letting teaching salaries get out of hand and he wants to make sure you understand that under no circumstances is he paying for your stupidity. He just had a real shit way of communicating the problem.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Unlike your Shakespearean eloquence...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 pm

$75,000 for public school teachers? Where?

I see the highest avg pay (which I don't know if that includes administrators, or just teachers) is in Connecticut at a little less than $70K.

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Bklyn wrote:$75,000 for public school teachers? Where?

I see the highest avg pay (which I don't know if that includes administrators, or just teachers) is in Connecticut at a little less than $70K.

WTF do you mean where? All over.

Cambridge Massachusetts was paying $16,000 per pupil for their education expenses and that was ten fucking years ago! Its only gone up since then.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Teachers in Alabama make around $40k.

/my sister is a teacher.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 pm

IB

Dude, once again I show facts tied to a source and you give me anecdotes. Please show me something where I can see many teachers making more than $75K (and "more in some states"). That goes counter to the website I posted (which states its sources).

Also, take a look at the inflationary value of $12K in 1977 translated to today's dollars, to see how far the numbers are apart from each other.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm

If you prorate that 40K for a 12 month work year and throw in the benefits, what does that come to? Just curious.
Let 'er Blow!

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I wonder how much a career desk jockey working for the DoD make? Including, of course, lifetime benefits after they retire at the age of 45. Just curious...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Bklyn wrote:IB

Dude, once again I show facts tied to a source and you give me anecdotes. Please show me something where I can see many teachers making more than $75K (and "more in some states"). That goes counter to the website I posted (which states its sources).

Also, take a look at the inflationary value of $12K in 1977 translated to today's dollars, to see how far the numbers are apart from each other.
Apparently Bklyn can't google....

The "average" teacher salary in Massachusetts is almost $71K a year. That is average. In California, average pay is up near $68K. In New York, average salary is up near $73K. So when I said a teaching pulling in $75K, that is very possible with just 10 to 15 years tenure in your school district, and you don't have to be in New York to make that kind of money.

I am saying that teacher salary was the kiss my ass senior citizen's problem and why he didn't want them to come to him for more money.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:37 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Teachers in Alabama make around $40k.

/my sister is a teacher.
Teachers in Alabama make almost 48K

Alabama

starting pay
$39,210

average pay
$47,803

ten year increase
28.8%