Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by aTm » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:48 pm

Here are the instructions for anyone else who has this problem, since Hedge worked it out for himself after making me type out all this shit.

First, go to the upper top right of the screen where it should show your username. Click the arrow and go to "User Control Panel"

From here click on "Manage Subscriptions" on the left. Once you do you should see "Watched Forums" and "Watched Topics" listed. Take note of these as it is likely these forums and threads that are the issue. If you want to unsubscribe from anything, you can from here, but you can also stay subscribed but just turn off the emails by proceeding to the next step. You should probably also look at "Manage Bookmarks" and see what topics you have bookmarked as well, as that can be a source of the emails too.

Now to fix the problem, click on the "Board Preferences" tab. Then click "Edit notification options." From here you uncheck "Email" on the right side from any notification type that you don't want to be emailed about. You likely have "Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked" or "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" ticked to email you.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:26 pm

Now that I figured out how to stop getting email notifications, I think I'm ready to work at eCat's company as a programmer...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:44 pm

hehehehe

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:18 pm

you'd be better than half the kids we hired from college this year.

they are idiots
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:00 am

We’re headed straight for Idiocracy…
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:10 pm

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:55 pm

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:31 am

Here's a resume I got for our open sports reporter position. Most of the ones I've received are in this category but he's clearly the cream of that crop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/38U29bm2NHc92FTS7

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:45 am

He seems overqualified...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:41 am

He's not the least qualified. There are lots of kids around here working at Lowe's or in construction who think they fit the bill. Soon enough they will. We're entering into the era of new media that doesn't require anything but a camera phone.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:58 pm

Saint wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:31 am Here's a resume I got for our open sports reporter position. Most of the ones I've received are in this category but he's clearly the cream of that crop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/38U29bm2NHc92FTS7
Are your sports journalists permitted to ask tough questions? The only reason why I say that is in Boston, when Frank Spaziani, Steve Addazio, and now with Jeff Hafley as BC's head coach, the media is instructed NOT to ask them tough questions. The press conferences following a loss are entirely meaningless, pointless. It was "how did you feel at that moment coach?" and other bullshit like that. A tough question comes in, and a moderator asks what media source you are from and then you are banned from all press conferences. Never ever are the reporters allowed to ask tough questions out of fear that the press conferences would go away and the response from the school would be

"Respect His Privacy."
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:18 pm

You ask a tough question on Stu's beat and you're liable to get a rap on the beak...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:08 am

https://www.axios.com/local/columbus/20 ... journalism.

The Columbus Dispatch paused use of an artificial intelligence sports writing tool after a Westerville football recap faced criticism on social media that went viral last week.

Why it matters: Newsrooms are increasingly experimenting with generative AI tools, but must grapple with ethical challenges while still maintaining public trust, Axios' Sara Fischer and Ryan Heath write.

State of play: For several days this month, the Dispatch and other Gannett-owned newspapers published dozens of LedeAI game recaps based on simple box score data.

One such Dispatch article from Aug. 18 was blasted on social media for its robotic style, lack of player names and use of awkward phrases like "close encounter of the athletic kind."
"I feel like I was there!" The Athletic senior columnist Jon Greenberg posted sarcastically.
The big picture: News publishers that use AI typically do so under the editorial supervision of humans.

The Dispatch's page of ethical principles states, "AI-generated content must be verified for accuracy and factuality before used in reporting."
Yes, but: A Gannett spokesperson did not respond to an emailed question about whether its newsrooms reviewed LedeAI recaps before publication.

The intrigue: In a Dispatch soccer write-up from Aug. 19, AI failed to generate team names and delivered a faulty first sentence.

"The Worthington Christian [[WINNING_TEAM_MASCOT]] defeated the Westerville North [[LOSING_TEAM_MASCOT]] 2-1 in an Ohio boys soccer game on Saturday," the story reads.
What they're saying: "This local AI sports effort is being paused," a Gannett spokesperson tells Axios.

"In addition to adding hundreds of reporting jobs across the country, we are experimenting with automation and AI to build tools for our journalists and add content for our readers."
"We are continually evaluating vendors as we refine processes to ensure all the news and information we provide meets the highest journalistic standards."
Reality check: Gannett has made numerous rounds of layoffs in recent years, shedding nearly half its workforce since its merger with GateHouse Media in 2019.

Between the lines: This is the first high school football season played since Gannett shuttered ThisWeek Community News, a suburban Columbus newspaper chain that produced award-winning local sports journalism.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:57 am

Lazy stu does that too.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:24 pm

Stu better watch his back...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:53 pm

you guys remember the house I bought back in April? Wife and I have spent pretty much every spare moment on it since then. We finished it this weekend and have put it up for rent

the top picture is a photo of the dining room when we bought the house, the middle photo is the floor after we pulled the carpet up and the bottom photo is what it looks like now

this is the family room before and after. The previous owners left some furniture so we put it all in there. Bought 1100 sq ft of that flooring to use in the family room, kitchen and office.

not very exciting but the garage - I installed a new garage door opener and put epoxy on the floor

the kitchen - swapped out fridge and dishwasher

living room (similar dining room scenario with paint used a sealant on the wood floor underneath the carpet)

storage room we turned into an office

utility room. new washer, new water heater, adding a mounted laundry table and epoxy on the floor. I also ran a vent from the furnace mainline to heat it and the office

Bedroom with red carpet, painted floor underneath, this floor also had some wood rot I had to fix

I also added GFCI on all the circuits, new door knobs, locks, swept the chimney, repaired cracked mortar, power washed the house and planted flowers. All told I'm in roughly $5K in materials and about 400 hours between my wife and I.

so far every ex felon, addict or person who has 12 cats has hit me up to rent it.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:34 pm

Care to drive to the edge of the North Carolina sandhills and do a few days worth of work in my basement?
Last edited by DooKSucks on Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:30 pm

Looks good e. Like the colors.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:06 pm

Nice. How much are you renting it for?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:12 pm

hoping to get $1800/mo for it

its a 3/2 but I'm not allowing pets so I'm ruling out about 70% of the renting public.