Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 pm

what sets Zona-Mex apart from Tex-Mex or Cali-Mex?

Dora
Sophomore

Post by Dora » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:41 pm

IB, you wanna tell me again why women voted for Obama? :D
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Saint wrote:what sets Zona-Mex apart from Tex-Mex or Cali-Mex?
I do not know what Cali-Mex is. Zona-Mex is pretty close to Tex-Mex.

Believe it or not, the best Mexican food I've had in this country was in Albequerque New Mexico. The two time I've been there on business they took me to NewMex-Mex and I loved it.

But you know what I mean, the authentic Mexican food that you get in Mexico, you really have to look for it (look for the places that serve the Horchata for example, the places that serve those awesome fish tacos) to know that you are getting the more Authentic cuisine. And you have to know that the food is safe. We have all sorts of restaurants in lower Phoenix that the food is very authentic but they do NOT keep their kitchen to the level of cleanliness that we here in the United States expect of our restaurants. And basically, we Americans are pussies. Our immune systems are pussy and we can't handle food that isn't properly cleaned or prepared anymore, so you have to be careful.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm

I occasionally go to a food truck parked in the barrio for tacos and horchata after a soccer game.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
Saint wrote:what sets Zona-Mex apart from Tex-Mex or Cali-Mex?
I do not know what Cali-Mex is. Zona-Mex is pretty close to Tex-Mex.

Believe it or not, the best Mexican food I've had in this country was in Albequerque New Mexico. The two time I've been there on business they took me to NewMex-Mex and I loved it.

But you know what I mean, the authentic Mexican food that you get in Mexico, you really have to look for it (look for the places that serve the Horchata for example, the places that serve those awesome fish tacos) to know that you are getting the more Authentic cuisine. And you have to know that the food is safe. We have all sorts of restaurants in lower Phoenix that the food is very authentic but they do NOT keep their kitchen to the level of cleanliness that we here in the United States expect of our restaurants. And basically, we Americans are pussies. Our immune systems are pussy and we can't handle food that isn't properly cleaned or prepared anymore, so you have to be careful.

Cali-Mex is more like the big wrapped burritos you get in SF's Mission District and in other places (think Moe's or Chipotle). it's black beans and guacamole and grilled meats. most of the Mexican restaurants in NC served burritos on a heated plate, covered in sauce and cheese and with stewed beef or chicken and they tell me it's the Tex-Mex style. I've never actually eaten Mexican food in Texas so I don't know for sure but it's a far cry from the Mexican places I ate at in Calif.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:55 pm

aTm, tacos al pastor with radishes and chopped cabbage?

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Cletus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 pm

aTm wrote:I occasionally go to a food truck parked in the barrio for tacos and horchata after a soccer game.
There is a family in the Pilsen neighborhood who sells tacos - the barbacoa and lengua are the best - out of their garage. It's one of my favorite places in the city to eat but a dope like IB would completely miss it because he would think it's unsafe. If you want good Mexican, Chinese, Thai, etc, search out the "unsafe" looking places.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:02 pm

my favorite taco truck is at the Mexican flea market on Hwy. 301 just down from the crack motels

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:04 pm

I usually get tacos de barbacoa
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm

conversely one of the vilest buffets in town is at world-famous Bill's Barbecue, popular with gout-ridden country folk who need a pound of boiled taters every day in order to gimp around. the back hallway going to the restroom there smells like a farmhouse back porch that has the faint aroma of dried pig guts. on the wall is a huge sign declaring: "Honesty and hard work is the only way. God's Law." and the patrons nod grimly at it as they stuff their porcine faces with hawg, taters and shlaw....

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Do you have many cemitas joints down there? That has become my new favorite sandwich. There is a place in the Meixcan hood that is incredible. Another place that IB would never experience because he'd be too afraid.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm

In the last 10 years or so (along with the Chipotle boom I guess) mission style burrito places are everywhere. A lot of people here probably consider those places as "burrito" places rather than Mexican food. I go get a burrito occasionally from a place called Mission Burrito, but theres several chains (Freebirds, Mission, Bullrito's and Chipotle) that are around.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Those burrito joints have been a staple of late night eating in Chicago forever. Nate Silver, of 538 fame, ran an online tournament to determine the best burrito joint on the near northside where he lived at the time. Sadly, the 2008 election got in the way and he never finished.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:12 pm

I cant think of any places that really push cemitas. I've never tried one, and they dont seem all that popular. I've seen them at a couple places though.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Cletus wrote:Do you have many cemitas joints down there? That has become my new favorite sandwich. There is a place in the Meixcan hood that is incredible. Another place that IB would never experience because he'd be too afraid.
my "fear" is about my stomach and my dietary health, not "fear" of physical danger. Good for you that your immune system can handle food not prepared with the level of ceanliness that we as pussy Americans are used to....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Dora wrote:IB, you wanna tell me again why women voted for Obama? :D
I know why women voted for Obama. Why did YOU vote for Obama?

Dora
Sophomore

Post by Dora » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
You obviously don't know why successful married women with children voted for Obama. :)
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Dora wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
You obviously don't know why successful married women with children voted for Obama. :)
I'll ask again, politely. Why did YOU vote for Obama?

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:36 pm

I now understand what the GOP leadership meant when they kept talking about "taking this country back."
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Bklyn wrote:I now understand what the GOP leadership meant when they kept talking about "taking this country back."
Oh really? If you understand it, please explain it to me.