Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

puterbac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 pm

So Wisc and Mich with R govs now have surpluses?

Surplus Surprises Michigan, but Is It Safe to Spend Again?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/us/su ... AY&ei=5065

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 pm

hedge wrote:"Between Obama's attempt to cram liberal dogma down the throat of the Catholic Church, and liberal judges of the 9th circuit nullifying the democratic process simply because they don't like the result, these are excellent examples of the totalitarian side of liberalism I find disgusting."

I heard they nullified slavery, too. Damned liberals, always undermining the will of the people...
FTR that was R's that did that.

BTW I saw where the first "couple" that got "married" in CA is now getting divorced.

So who will the courts treat like the man and try to fuck over in that process?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm

The one with the shorter haircut.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:42 pm

puterbac wrote:
bluetick wrote:
Toemeesleather wrote:In a way, yes....since you've currently fallen for the "m" word.
You didn't at least smile at the "98% of sexually active Catholic women use birth control"?

lighten up, toe...take a vacation or somethin'
How many of those 98% are using only the rhythm method which is church approved?
lol

Well Ozzie - let's take a look..

Use of NFP (natural family planning) in developed countries is low, even among Catholics. While Catholics make up 24% of the U.S. population in 2002, of reproductive age American women using birth control, only 1.5% were using periodic abstinence. (Source: 2002 National Family Planning Survey, National Center for Health Statistics)

Not so many here. Apparently the rhythm stats are much higher in South America, though.

say hello to the Beaver
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:57 pm

MSN - Stanford Develops Technology to Charge Electric Vehicles While in Motion ; Magnetic-resonance system could solve range anxiety

Richard Sassoon, co-author of the study and managing director of the Stanford project, explained what sounds like the holy grail for EVs: "What makes this concept exciting is that you could potentially drive for an unlimited amount of time without having to recharge. You could actually have more energy stored in your battery at the end of your trip than when you started."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm sure you're on the phone now, trying to invest all you can.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Bitter much?

Hack...you got room on the plane for one more? toe needs to go

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Finally, someone invented the perpetual motion machine!
Let 'er Blow!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:09 pm

USNews &WR - U.S. Licenses First Reactors Since 1978

for 10ac.. who never met a nuke he didn't like

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:10 pm

'bout time!
Let 'er Blow!

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:53 pm

bluetick wrote:MSN - Stanford Develops Technology to Charge Electric Vehicles While in Motion ; Magnetic-resonance system could solve range anxiety

Richard Sassoon, co-author of the study and managing director of the Stanford project, explained what sounds like the holy grail for EVs: "What makes this concept exciting is that you could potentially drive for an unlimited amount of time without having to recharge. You could actually have more energy stored in your battery at the end of your trip than when you started."
bluetick wrote:MSN - Stanford Develops Technology to Charge Electric Vehicles While in Motion ; Magnetic-resonance system could solve range anxiety

Sounds interesting, but I would need to see more detail. Sounds like something for nothing.

But if you have a generator with no load on it the force required to cause it to rotate is very little. As the generator starts supplying a load there is an opposing magnetic force that has to be overcome. The more load the more force required to generate the current to supply the load.

Hope its true, but this sounds to good to be true as I still wait for cold fusion. heh.

If I was exxon I would buy the idea for 25 billion and sit on it.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

"What makes this concept exciting is that you could potentially drive for an unlimited amount of time without having to recharge. You could actually have more energy stored in your battery at the end of your trip than when you started."
If all you did was drive on a 7% down grade.
Let 'er Blow!

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Southern Baptist leader: If Obama mandate isn’t changed, Christians will go to jail

BY BEN JOHNSON

http://www.lifesitenews.com/southern-ba ... ndate.html

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE, February 8, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) — One of the most influential evangelical leaders in the United States says Christians should go to jail rather than comply with the Obama administration’s mandate to provide all contraception, including abortion-inducing drugs, in their health care plans.

Dr. Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC), told LifeSiteNews.com "we will not comply" with the Dept. of Health and Human Services’ mandate requiring religious institutions to cover abortifacient products such as Plan B, Ella, and the IUD.

"We want the law changed, or else we’re going to write our letters from the Nashville jail, just like Dr. King wrote his from the Birmingham jail," Dr. Land said.

Dr. Land wrote an op-ed on Tuesday with Barrett Duke, vice president for public policy and research at ERLC, calling his fellow Southern Baptists and evangelical Christians throughout America to oppose any infringement on the First Amendment.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Lord....

Tribe Suing Beer Companies For Alcohol Problems

http://k2radio.com/tribe-suing-beer-com ... -problems/

The Oglala Sioux Tribe of South Dakota filed a federal lawsuit Thursday demanding $500 million from five international beer manufacturers for the cost of health care, social services and child rehabilitation caused by chronic alcoholism on the reservation.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:09 pm

First cigs now beer and then Ho Hos! When will it stop?
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:58 pm

That "98%" poll is, on its face, absurd. That poll is like the polls in North Korea that said 98% of the people voted for Kim Jong. You can't get 98% percent of Catholic women to agree on anything, including the existence of God.

And since when does having a legal right to something automatically entitle the government to force employers provide it to their employees for free? The Constitution says I have a right to keep and bear arms. (That right is actually written in the Constitution, BTW, unlike the "right" to "women's reproductive health services," but I digress...) Since I have a right to keep and bear arms, should I demand that the government force my employer to provide me with a free pistol? Of course not. Likewise, if a woman wants birth control or abortifacients, she can go out and buy them with her own damn money like I went out and bought my own 9mm.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

bluetick wrote:USNews &WR - U.S. Licenses First Reactors Since 1978
I don't like this one bit. Too close to my farm.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:That "98%" poll is, on its face, absurd. That poll is like the polls in North Korea that said 98% of the people voted for Kim Jong. You can't get 98% percent of Catholic women to agree on anything, including the existence of God.

And since when does having a legal right to something automatically entitle the government to force employers provide it to their employees for free? The Constitution says I have a right to keep and bear arms. (That right is actually written in the Constitution, BTW, unlike the "right" to "women's reproductive health services," but I digress...) Since I have a right to keep and bear arms, should I demand that the government force my employer to provide me with a free pistol? Of course not. Likewise, if a woman wants birth control or abortifacients, she can go out and buy them with her own damn money like I went out and bought my own 9mm.
A rare, strong showing by the padre...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 pm

"Already required in 28 states..."
Wrong. From http://www.usccb.org/news/2012/12-021.cfm
6.The federal mandate is much stricter than existing state mandates. HHS chose the narrowest state-level religious exemption as the model for its own.That exemption was drafted by the ACLU and exists in only 3 states (New York, California, Oregon).Even without a religious exemption, religious employers can already avoid the contraceptive mandates in 28 states by self-insuring their prescription drug coverage, dropping that coverage altogether, or opting for regulation under a federal law (ERISA) that pre-empts state law.The HHS mandate closes off all these avenues of relief.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Owlman wrote:
Story cites two dems who oppose it - Sen. Joe Manchin - WVA, and Rep. Dan Lipinski - Ill. There's your dropping like flies.
There will be more, though. Not a lot. But more than just those 2.
It's a little more than a little more than those 2:
Democrats continued to peel away from the president on the issue or at least call for compromise. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., the party's 2004 presidential nominee, told Fox News on Thursday that the policy should be adjusted to include a conscience clause.

"I think it can be implemented effectively in a way that protects women's access but at the same time protects people's rights and conscience," Kerry said. "I think it's an unnecessary debate."

At least nine Democratic members of Congress
have spoken out against the policy or suggested it should be changed. Among them, Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., said in a newspaper interview he has told the White House he opposes the policy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02 ... z1lwjiRG1E
Maybe Bill Nelson will get back in line if Obama throws him another Cornhusker Kickback. It worked before.