Ha!

puterbac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 am

bluetick wrote:Survey: Majority of Catholics Support Birth Control in Health Care Plans

A majority of Catholics support including birth control in health care plans and back the decision by the Obama administration that requires most employers to include such coverage, according to a new survey released Tuesday.

Their views are in contrast to leaders in the Catholic Church, who are vigorously opposing a rule by the U.S. government that says most employers must include contraception coverage in their health plans.

Despite the opposition of Catholic leaders, Catholics are actually more likely than non-Catholics to support including contraception in health plans, according to survey results by the Public Religion Research Institute. About 58% of American Catholics "believe that employers should be required to provide their employees with health care plans that cover contraception," the survey showed. That was highter than the percentage of white mainline Protestants (50%) and white evangelicals (38%) who hold that belief. The Catholic Church officially forbids contraception use, but 98% of Catholic women who have been sexually active have used birth control. The survey comes as Catholic bishops and their supporters are protesting a decision last month by the U.S. Department of Human Services

lol

So is that why Dems are dropping like flies on this issue?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:01 am

"Already required in 28 states..."

And now the other 22 better fall in line, dammit...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 am

Tick, and others, won't use the word majority when it comes to gay marriage....hmmmm.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 am

So is that why dems are dropping like flies on this issue?

Heh. foxnews.com - Some Democrats Break from Obama on New Contraception Policy, as GOP Vows to Reverse It

Story cites two dems who oppose it - Sen. Joe Manchin - WVA, and Rep. Dan Lipinski - Ill. There's your dropping like flies.

In fairness (and balance!) to Fox, the article does says dem women lawmakers have put up a united front for the health initiative. Something along the lines of "Women's health care shouldn't depend on who the boss is."
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:25 am

Toemeesleather wrote:Tick, and others, won't use the word majority when it comes to gay marriage....hmmmm.
Actually I've never used the words gay marriage in this forum, toe. You tryin' to draw me out?

got yer gay-rights parade pics ready?

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 am

In a way, yes....since you've currently fallen for the "m" word.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:29 am

Story cites two dems who oppose it - Sen. Joe Manchin - WVA, and Rep. Dan Lipinski - Ill. There's your dropping like flies.
There will be more, though. Not a lot. But more than just those 2.
My Dad is my hero still.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 am

No doubt there will be more. Stout-hearted men they are...heavily invested in women's reproductive health.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:51 am

Toemeesleather wrote:In a way, yes....since you've currently fallen for the "m" word.
You didn't at least smile at the "98% of sexually active Catholic women use birth control"?

lighten up, toe...take a vacation or somethin'

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:13 am

A obsessive Peyton poster tells me to lighten up.....wow.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 am

Fisker Automotive, the maker of an exotic electric sports car that is being built with help from a $529 million federal government loan guarantee, has announced layoffs at its Delaware plant as it tries to persuade the Department of Energy to send it more public funds.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 am

Owlman wrote:
Big Orange Junky wrote:Tic, the question is do they support forcing the CHURCH to supply birth control. That's the issue. You can word a question to shape the answeres. A vague "employer healthcare plans" and the church would get two different percentages I bet.
The Church (nor the Church run hospital) is required to supply birth control. The private insurance that is being offered by the insurance company negotiated by the employer is covering birth control pills. Required in 28 states and covered by many Catholic institutions in states where it isn't required. Most insurance plans in heavily Catholic southern Louisiana (not mandated by the state as it turns out) including the many employees of the multiple private high schools have oral contraceptive methods in their insurance plans.

As for the poll, I doubt the wording of the poll makes any difference in this case. If you are a Democrat, you mostly support it. If you are a Republican, you are mostly against it. Most independents aren't ruled by social issues, so they probably for it and it'll skew towards support since even some Republicans who work for religious institutions in commercial enterprises will support it because it's in their best interest to do so (meaning they are on OCA's).
I really don't know how that particular survey was worded but it appears it was a very generic survey and quite possibly before this came about. It looks like a religous org gathered the info (at least on the surface but you never know that is twisted alot as well there is a gun control group with an anti gun control name)

If you were to say "should employer health plans be required to pay for birth control" vs "should the church be required to pay for the morning after pill" you would get different responses I bet. Just a hunch there LOL.

We see this all the time and liberals are great at it. "Do you support the murder of innocent families of birds by grenades within the city limits" gets turned into "98% of all Atlanta residents oppose sound grenades to stop the influx of crows into downtown" on the nightly news.

That's exactly why you can find a "poll" to say exactly what you want, in either direction.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 am

[youtube]2yL7t0j_4tQ[/youtube]

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:46 am

bluetick wrote:So is that why dems are dropping like flies on this issue?

Heh. foxnews.com - Some Democrats Break from Obama on New Contraception Policy, as GOP Vows to Reverse It

In fairness (and balance!) to Fox, the article does says dem women lawmakers have put up a united front for the health initiative. Something along the lines of "Women's health care shouldn't depend on who the boss is."
Obama administration struggles to contain uproar over birth-control rule

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/he ... ol-mandate

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:48 am

bluetick wrote:
Toemeesleather wrote:In a way, yes....since you've currently fallen for the "m" word.
You didn't at least smile at the "98% of sexually active Catholic women use birth control"?

lighten up, toe...take a vacation or somethin'
How many of those 98% are using only the rhythm method which is church approved?

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 pm

The survey was done Tuesday, BOJ - after the USDHHS issued their directive. The story was pretty clear about that. Whether the survey was conducted at high tide or whether Jupiter was aligned with Mars, I really can't say.

This particular link is to the Detroit Free Press article.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120208/NEWS07/120208008

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm

And once again this isn't about healthcare. Its about insurance and what people are forced to cover.

Its not as if you can't go across the street to planned parenthood . It took 10 seconds to find this:

....First, you’ll need to get a prescription. Visit a Planned Parenthood health center, a clinic, or a private health care provider for a prescription. Your health care provider will discuss your medical history with you, check your blood pressure, and give you any other medical exam that you may need. If you need an exam, it may cost about $35–$250. Birth control pills may be purchased with a prescription at a drugstore or clinic. They cost about $15–$50 a month. Planned Parenthood works to make health care accessible and affordable. Some health centers are able to charge according to income. Most accept health insurance. If you qualify, Medicaid or other state programs may lower your health care costs. Call your local Planned Parenthood health center to get specific information on costs....

And guess what you can use your flex spending account to cover the costs and pay for it with tax free money.

But more to the point how is this any different than wanting a higher salary or more vacation or any other benefit covered? Why should the government be involved in this at all? If you feel so strongly about it and want it that bad, go get a job at a place that provides the benefit you are bitching about.

It is a huge over reach by govt.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

POLAR ICE CAPS MELTING LESS THAN THOUGHT...

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... an-thought

STUDY: Himalayas, nearby peaks lost no ice in past 10 years...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... intcmp=122

Scientists 'stunned'...

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:40 pm

"Between Obama's attempt to cram liberal dogma down the throat of the Catholic Church, and liberal judges of the 9th circuit nullifying the democratic process simply because they don't like the result, these are excellent examples of the totalitarian side of liberalism I find disgusting."

I heard they nullified slavery, too. Damned liberals, always undermining the will of the people...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.