Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:53 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:32 pm
hedge wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm I do prefer GM cars, but I will say that the Mercury Grand Marquis I had a few years ago drove like a champ. I gave it up when it turned 300K miles but I didn't want to. I doubt I spent more than a couple thousand on it the whole time I had it (10 years of so). I think the alternator when out once and then there was some other shit that was like $500, but that was it...
I wish GM made true, full size sedans, but they stopped. There's no market for them when compared to SUV's. American manufacturers ceded the car business to the Japs and Krauts when trucks and SUV's hit big, and Ford and Chevy never got any of the car business back. Chrysler has found a niche with the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, but that's it.
I am in the market for a pickup truck to tow 15,000 pounds. We bought a 5th wheel trailer (41 feet long, 12,900 pounds completely empty) and we need a pickup to pull it. Not today. Not tomorrow. But eventually, we are going to need to buy something. Any advice that you pickup guys can give to me as to what kind of truck can tow a 41 foot 5th wheel trailer, is appreciated.

Also a generator. We are going to want to get a generator.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:22 pm

We're not your fucking Google.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by sardis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:11 pm

The old man bought a Mercury Marquis every two years from 1969 to 1985 when he died. I’m a lover of big sedans. Bought a CT6 5 years ago and will probably hold on to it because they discontinued the model. If I buy an SUV, I’ll buy a Tahoe or bigger. Don’t understand the point of buying these small SUV/Crossovers. They all look the same and don’t provide much more room.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Down here in Beaufort until Friday morning (got here yesterday). House hunting.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:35 am

sardis wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:11 pm The old man bought a Mercury Marquis every two years from 1969 to 1985 when he died. I’m a lover of big sedans. Bought a CT6 5 years ago and will probably hold on to it because they discontinued the model. If I buy an SUV, I’ll buy a Tahoe or bigger. Don’t understand the point of buying these small SUV/Crossovers. They all look the same and don’t provide much more room.
The CT6 is a nice ride. It's a damn shame it couldn't catch on, but there is no way Cadillac will compete with the Krauts in the luxury sedan segment in the modern era. So, the CT6 failed after initial popularity.

I drive a 2011 Traverse, and absent the occasional foray into a neighboring county for court, I might put sixty miles per week on the vehicle. I have no need for a nice personal vehicle for my own use as of now.

The wife drives a 2016 Suburban. She needs a vehicle that size for her decorating business, and we use it as the "family" vehicle.

However, if we have a second child, I am sure there will be a need for me to transport a child separately in my vehicle at times, which means I will need to upgrade since the Traverse is fine as a beater to get around town but probably not as nice as what I would need for a "family" vehicle. However, seeing as how I despise a car payment, I will probably get another vehicle through the wife's business and take her suburban.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:36 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:40 pm Down here in Beaufort until Friday morning (got here yesterday). House hunting.
You and every other Ohioan....

It's that time of year when you assholes start migrating down.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:03 am

I had a Toyota Sienna Limited Mini-Van that was AWD

Lexus doesn't make a mini-van so the "Limited" version is basically their Lexus version of it.

I know the knock on mini-van but damn, I wish I had it on that last trip. I saw one of the later models and they have passenger reclining seats that have slide out foot rests like recliners at home.

I bought it with 90K miles for less than $10K, put another 100K on it and sold it when the sliding door broke and the cruise control went out. It had some adaptive cruise control thing that kept up with the pace of cars in front of you.

I used to think I'd only buy a Honda or Toyota, but lately I think Honda has dropped down a bit in quality. But I'm also done buying luxury cars - I won't be buying any more cars that require premium gas, 20" z rated 45 series tires or even navigation. Give me Apple Play in a car which they pretty much put in the base models now and I'm good.

Right now I'm thinking my next car is a 4cyl AWD Camry
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 am

DooKSucks wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:36 am
Jungle Rat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:40 pm Down here in Beaufort until Friday morning (got here yesterday). House hunting.
You and every other Ohioan....

It's that time of year when you assholes start migrating down.
You live in North Carolina. Shut the hell up. South Carolina laughs at you.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 am

I live in SC and DS is closer to Beaufort than I.

The CT6 is great because its AWD and Apple Carplay. The only bothersome thing is the electronics can get funky in GM cars. Also, the car seems to be an animal magnet since I've hit cats, deer, and a bear in 4 years I've owned it.

To me, an AWD mini-van is the ultimate utility vehicle if you can get by the stigma. The wife had Honda Odysseys when the kids were younger and that was the best thing for our trips and moving shit. When the kids left she demanded that she goes back to a sedan. We bought her a new Mazda 6 for $29K. No AWD, but with a V6 and Apple Carplay it's not bad for the money. Problem is now I'm suck with two sedans and not a vehicle to pick up stuff at Lowe's. Need to get an old beater truck to puts up to the mountains and haul stuff. Son insists I stick with GM and not Fords for old trucks. Has to be v8 and AWD.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:26 am

sardis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 am I live in SC and DS is closer to Beaufort than I.
Stop scaring me

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:01 am

sardis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 am I live in SC and DS is closer to Beaufort than I.

The CT6 is great because its AWD and Apple Carplay. The only bothersome thing is the electronics can get funky in GM cars. Also, the car seems to be an animal magnet since I've hit cats, deer, and a bear in 4 years I've owned it.

To me, an AWD mini-van is the ultimate utility vehicle if you can get by the stigma. The wife had Honda Odysseys when the kids were younger and that was the best thing for our trips and moving shit. When the kids left she demanded that she goes back to a sedan. We bought her a new Mazda 6 for $29K. No AWD, but with a V6 and Apple Carplay it's not bad for the money. Problem is now I'm suck with two sedans and not a vehicle to pick up stuff at Lowe's. Need to get an old beater truck to puts up to the mountains and haul stuff. Son insists I stick with GM and not Fords for old trucks. Has to be v8 and AWD.
$1200 Toyota 4WD SR5 with 105K miles. Put another $500 in it to get it right. Might paint it, might not - don't really give a fuck as its my home depot/mulch/firewood hauler. Its got the 3.4L V6 though, which is what I wanted.

honestly if I stumbled across another Toyota Sienna AWD Limited Mini van for a decent price, I'll probably but it again. I'm past the stigma.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 am

" Also, the car seems to be an animal magnet since I've hit cats, deer, and a bear in 4 years I've owned it."

Murderer...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 am

"$1200 Toyota 4WD SR5 with 105K miles. Put another $500 in it to get it right. Might paint it, might not - don't really give a fuck as its my home depot/mulch/firewood hauler. Its got the 3.4L V6 though, which is what I wanted."

Nice air compressor...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:42 am

you should see the electric hoist I just installed

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 am

Dad’s shop had a 120 gallon compressor tank with a 7.5 or 10hp motor, and hookups routed throughout the building. He also had a curved top Lincoln welder, an oxy-acetalyne setup, two heavy duty drill presses, two tool tall carts packed with every type of wrench, socket or accessory you would ever need, hoists/lifts/jacks, a large metal band saw, and every type of drill and saw imaginable. I thought every dad had a setup like that when I was a kid lol

You would be in heaven, e.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:52 am

"He also had a curved top Lincoln welder, an oxy-acetalyne setup"

56 second mark:

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am

DooKSucks wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 am Dad’s shop had a 120 gallon compressor tank with a 7.5 or 10hp motor, and hookups routed throughout the building. He also had a curved top Lincoln welder, an oxy-acetalyne setup, two heavy duty drill presses, two tool tall carts packed with every type of wrench, socket or accessory you would ever need, hoists/lifts/jacks, a large metal band saw, and every type of drill and saw imaginable. I thought every dad had a setup like that when I was a kid lol

You would be in heaven, e.
yea I would. If I buy a new house in the next couple of years (meaning I still have enough productive years left to take advantage of it) I'm building a workhop that is about 40 x 40 just to hold all the stuff I play with

I have a mig and an arc (stick) welder. The real skill is tig welding. I wish I could do that.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:59 am

hedge wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:52 am "He also had a curved top Lincoln welder, an oxy-acetalyne setup"

56 second mark:

When the world is coming to an end and our apocalypse is here, medical doctors, welders, farmers (animal and veggie), plumbers, electricians, mechanics, and carpenters, their value in life will skyrocket. They will make all the decisions. And our survival will depend entirely on their willingness to work hard and train others. Computer scientists? Fuck us, we bring nothing to the table.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:22 pm We're not your fucking Google.
I know but you guys may have an expertise on pick up trucks that would help. Sometimes (often) the internet.... lies.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:08 pm

"Sometimes (often) the internet.... lies."

We criticize in others what we most dislike about ourselves...