Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Uncle Bud

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:04 am

"if the nba wants to pull the all star game then by all means every fan in Carolina should boycott the nnba for a month"

Even the ones who don't agree with the law that the NBA pulled the game over?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:11 am

I just wonder if Kaepernick has really thought out the long term consequences of his decision or if he just thought like so many others he could spout off his opinion and then just remain status quo on every other aspect of his life.

He's doubled down but I wouldn't be surprised to see a mea culpa in about 10 months
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:16 am

I think he was irrelevant and in danger of losing his job, when he does now, he can blame his outspokenness.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:19 am

AlabamAlum wrote:I think he was irrelevant and in danger of losing his job, when he does now, he can blame his outspokenness.

yea, its a given there but where he lands and what he does is still in question
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:31 am

if you agree with the law the nba pulled the game over go support the nba

If colin doesn't respect the flag and the usa go play Canadian football. the nfl/press doesn't film people who crash the field maybe colin should be ignored also

I'd love to see him get cut over this

his message labeling cops as the bad guys fuels more and more disrespect and anger to the first line of protection we have

nobody is saying that cops are perfect and there are going to be some fucked up encounters with imperfect cops

but the pendulum has swung way to far in most of America fueling Baltimore riots/Milwaukee riots and massacres in dallas, baton rouge, newyork city and now some washed up qb wants to add a little fuel to the fire. wtf cut his ass

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:18 am

He has a right to not pledge his allegiance if he feels the country is not constitutional for him. He may suffer the consequences, but that's his decision. I, myself may be in the same boat in the near future if the 1st and 2nd amendments keep getting eroded.

"f the nba wants to pull the all star game then by all means every fan in Carolina should boycott the nnba for a month"

Are you kidding? You know how much those season tickets cost?

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:57 am

eCat wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:I think he was irrelevant and in danger of losing his job, when he does now, he can blame his outspokenness.

yea, its a given there but where he lands and what he does is still in question
True. But I think his days are numbered and he knows it. Sitting atop a bank of $64 million, he doesn't have to worry where or if he lands.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:17 am

sardis wrote:He has a right to not pledge his allegiance if he feels the country is not constitutional for him. He may suffer the consequences, but that's his decision. I, myself may be in the same boat in the near future if the 1st and 2nd amendments keep getting eroded.
I'm not going to get up in arms about it one way or another - but Americans in general probably don't relate to a multi-millionaire pro athlete who talks about the United States being an oppressive country. There is a way to do it - alienating your meal ticket isn't it.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 am

How dare Colin sit during the playing of the song that everyone else uses as an opportunity to hit the bathroom or buy their beers at the stadium...

Either way...I love the discourse and the opinions. The beauty of it all is that Kaep can do this and we all can weigh in publicly without anyone being prosecuted, persecuted, killed or otherwise physically harmed.

I didn't stand for the anthem for awhile when I was in college. It was because when I got to Howard and was flooded with so much history and information that my "world-class" level of honors US education neglected to tell me, I became very angry at the country and the institutions that seemingly tried to get me to hate, doubt or otherwise undervalue myself. I was particularly angry that I learned so much in college that debunked some of what was programmed in my in HS curriculum (particularly). I realized that all these National Honor Society kids I went to school with would probably never know what I found out/was exposed to. The people who were being coached to be the future leaders of the world were fed History, Art and Social Studies through a prism of European excellence that was a half-truth. I felt disrespected by the institutions of America, so I decided I would not be respectful to it.

I've changed in my actions, but the disappointment in that reality of education has not changed. I keep it in mind as my kids are entering into the school system (even though their schools, so far, have done a decent job of things...but it's early). I just know enough to know that with all the flaws that exist, The Grand Experiment that is this democracy is the best venue going to realize the full potential of its citizenry. So, I now stand for the anthem (when I'm not going to the bathroom or buying beer).
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 am

Bklyn wrote:How dare Colin sit during the playing of the song that everyone else uses as an opportunity to hit the bathroom or buy their beers at the stadium...

Either way...I love the discourse and the opinions. The beauty of it all is that Kaep can do this and we all can weigh in publicly without anyone being prosecuted, killed or otherwise physically harmed.

I didn't stand for the anthem for awhile when in college. It was because when I got to Howard and was flooded with so much history and information that my world-class level of honors US education neglected to tell me, I became very angry at the country and the institutions that seemingly tried to get me to hate, doubt or otherwise undervalue myself. I was particularly angry that I learned so much in college that debunked some of what was programmed in my in HS (particularly) and I realized that all these National Honor Society kids I went to school with would probably never know what I found out. The people who were being coached to be the future leaders of the world were fed History, Art and Social Studies through a prism of European excellence that was a half-truth. I felt disrespected by the institutions of America, so I decided I would not be respectful to it.

I've changed in my actions, but the disappointment in that reality of education did not change. I just know enough to know that with all the flaws that exist, The Grand Experiment that is this democracy is the best venue going to realize the full potential of its citizenry.
the institutions of America that had you in college... and prepared you for a life on Wall St. making an income that few of those National Honor Society (read: entitled white kids) will never see?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:44 am

I'm not following you.

Are you saying that I should have been totally fine with the results of my education (regardless of the psychological scars it could have brought to me) because it allowed me a level of economic freedom not enjoyed by many? Is it kind of like Michael Jackson should be good with the abuse of his father because it lead to Thriller?
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 am

"but Americans in general probably don't relate to a multi-millionaire pro athlete who talks about the United States being an oppressive country."

Evidently, however, quite a few do relate to a multi-millionaire businessman who talks about the United States being oppressed by all manner of foreign countries and religions...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 am

Bklyn wrote:I'm not following you.

Are you saying that I should have been totally fine with the results of my education (regardless of the psychological scars it could have brought to me) because it allowed me a level of economic freedom not enjoyed by many? Is it kind of like Michael Jackson should be good with the abuse of his father because it lead to Thriller?
no, I'm more concerned with those National Honor Society types that were fed a history of European exceptionalism. I'd like to know what history was being taught to them that led to psychological scarring for African Americans.

and in particular how it created a bias that limited opportunities for minorities.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 am

And, for the record, my NHS kids reference wasn't exclusive to white kids. It was about all the kids learning at an "elite" level...but being underserved in the content of its curriculum. That is just as much about the Black or Indian kids as it was for the white ones.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:57 am

"Is it kind of like Michael Jackson should be good with the abuse of his father because it lead to Thriller?"

It takes a little sand to make a pearl...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:13 pm

eCat wrote: no, I'm more concerned with those National Honor Society types that were fed a history of European exceptionalism. I'd like to know what history was being taught to them that led to psychological scarring for African Americans.

and in particular how it created a bias that limited opportunities for minorities.
If I understand your question...

A curriculum that pushes a history of European exceptionalism can make students inherently believe that the contributions to society were exclusive to that sect. The practical example of that is Rep Steve King, when talking about diversity in the GOP, asked "where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about...?" Ignorance is the soil that sows intolerance. I'm saying we all lose as people when information is filtered to consciously or unconsciously leave out the whole story.

My AP History teacher in HS had a section of the curriculum that dealt with slavery and the economic outlays the slave owners had in order to maintain their human chattel. It was presented as if the economic risk was greater with slaves than without...which (looking back) is ridiculous, racist and dangerous. I have more examples than that...but that was the worse. Most were smaller points...concerning the books we read in AP English and things of that nature. For some kids, that was the most in-depth they were going to go into the history of slavery as they moved onto school with majors that did not center on the humanities.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 pm

"My AP History teacher in HS had a section of the curriculum that dealt with slavery and the economic outlays the slave owners had in order to maintain their human chattel. It was presented as if the economic risk was greater with slaves than without...which (looking back) is ridiculous, racist and dangerous."

I don't know the context of how it was being presented

but was it factual?

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:01 pm

9 dead 50 shot in Chicago this past weekend after wades cousin was killed

450 dead for the year well on pace to eclipse the 504 murders committed in 2012

how bout protesting that BLM

how bout protesting that colin

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:09 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:09 pm

crashcourse wrote:9 dead 50 shot in Chicago this past weekend after wades cousin was killed

450 dead for the year well on pace to eclipse the 504 murders committed in 2012

how bout protesting that BLM

how bout protesting that colin
BLM's charter is very specific - they focus on government overreach

they just chose a name that most reasonable people would consider much more outreaching than what they actually focus on.

their concerns in regards to why they feel there is governmen overreach probably has alot to do with the % of African Americans who comprise that 450 in Chicago

but that's none of my business.