Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:39 pm

lol

Uh, I mean...not funny, man.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Just sayin.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:20 am

The spectre of defending/implementing ObammerCare claims another Dim as Ben Nelson announces retirement....Obammer may be able to claim credit for losing both houses.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 am

Toemeesleather wrote:Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the federal government.

The Volt subsidies flow through multiple companies involved in production. The analysis includes adding up the amount of government subsidies via tax credits and direct funding for not only General Motors, but other companies supplying parts for the vehicle. For example, the Department of Energy awarded a $105.9 million grant to the GM Brownstown plant that assembles the batteries. The company was also awarded approximately $106 million for its Hamtramck assembly plant in state credits to retain jobs. The company that supplies the Volt’s batteries, Compact Power, was awarded up to $100 million in refundable battery credits (combination tax breaks and cash subsidies). These are among many of the subsidies and tax credits for the vehicle.

It’s unlikely that all the companies involved in Volt production will ever receive all the $3 billion in incentives, Hohman said, because many of them are linked to meeting various employment and other milestones. But the analysis looks at the total value that has been offered to the Volt in different aspects of production – from the assembly line to the dealerships to the battery manufacturers. Some tax credits and subsidies are offered for periods up to 20 years, though most have a much shorter time frame.

GM has estimated they’ve sold 6,000 Volts so far. That would mean each of the 6,000 Volts sold would be subsidized between $50,000 and $250,000, depending on how many government subsidy milestones are realized.

If those manufacturers awarded incentives to produce batteries the Volt may use are included in the analysis, the potential government subsidy per Volt increases to $256,824. For example, A123 Systems has received extensive state and federal support, and bid to be a supplier to the Volt, but the deal instead went to Compact Power. The $256,824 figure includes adding up the subsidies to both companies.

The $3 billion total subsidy figure includes $690.4 million offered by the state of Michigan and $2.3 billion in federal money. That’s enough to purchase 75,222 Volts with a sticker price of $39,828.

Additional state and local support provided to Volt suppliers was not included in the analysis, Hohman said, and could increase the level of government aid. For instance, the Volt is being assembled at the Poletown plant in Detroit/Hamtramck, which was built on land acquired by General Motors through eminent domain.

“It just goes to show there are certain folks that will spend anything to get their vision of what people should do,” said State Representative Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills. “It’s a glaring example of the failure of central planning trying to force citizens to purchase something they may not want. … They should let the free market make those decisions.”

“This might be the most government-supported car since the Trabant,” said Hohman, referring to the car produced by the former Communist state of East Germany.

According to GM CEO Dan Akerson, the average Volt owner makes $170,000 per year

Sustainable!!!
2.3 billion? Didn't that much U.S. cash go missing in Baghdad?

Consider which has a better future...battery-powered vehicles, or Iraq? I know which one I have more confidence in.

But hey, we backed one gambit with a couple bil. The other will likely top a couple of tril. Funny how Fox picks and chooses it's targets wrt government waste.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 am

lmao at the hatred for the 1!
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Heh. It may actually be 9:1 where Hack lives.

Not around these parts, though.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:24 pm

It's a lot worse than 9:1 here. Probably less-so where you are. 9:1 is a conservative estimate across the nation.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:18 pm

lol You really climbed out on a limb with that 'probably less-so where you are'.

Our lone daily newspaper is republican (back when we had two dailies they were both R). All of our radio programming is conservative - local, national, syndicated - whatever. That includes all of the noted right-wing talking heads plus some regional and home-grown ones; no liberals anywhere to be found.

TV-wise, here Charter & Comcast give Fox News an HD channel - no other cable news network gets that kind of treatment. Fox News permeates everyday life around here - restaurants, health clubs, waiting rooms...even Sportsclips for crissakes. For all I know I may watch more FN than the average registered republican - even if most of it is just second-hand viewing. Hate Fox News?? Not a chance - that'd be like hating the sun at my back...or the wind in my hair.

Yeah, I always get a kick out of Hack's "9:1 media" ravings. He's like the pull-my-finger relative who tries to convince the kids that Bigfoot really exists and that commies put stuff in their drinking water.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:06 pm

:::yawn:::

Too silly to even warrant a response.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Typical

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Totally Hack

on any subject

puterbac
Senior
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by puterbac » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:41 pm

bluetick wrote:lol You really climbed out on a limb with that 'probably less-so where you are'.

Our lone daily newspaper is republican (back when we had two dailies they were both R). All of our radio programming is conservative - local, national, syndicated - whatever. That includes all of the noted right-wing talking heads plus some regional and home-grown ones; no liberals anywhere to be found.

TV-wise, here Charter & Comcast give Fox News an HD channel - no other cable news network gets that kind of treatment. Fox News permeates everyday life around here - restaurants, health clubs, waiting rooms...even Sportsclips for crissakes. For all I know I may watch more FN than the average registered republican - even if most of it is just second-hand viewing. Hate Fox News?? Not a chance - that'd be like hating the sun at my back...or the wind in my hair.

Yeah, I always get a kick out of Hack's "9:1 media" ravings. He's like the pull-my-finger relative who tries to convince the kids that Bigfoot really exists and that commies put stuff in their drinking water.
Is the sentinel republican? Haven't they backed some Dems recently? Or maybe I am confusing it with the DDN (which is communist).

I've seen CNN on plenty of times in waiting rooms, airport, bars, etc.

But the ONE doesn't come close to equaling the audience of ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, PBS and yet look at all the consternation it conjures up. BTW Chris Wallace is the interview in playboy this month.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:The spectre of defending/implementing ObammerCare claims another Dim as Ben Nelson announces retirement....Obammer may be able to claim credit for losing both houses.
The Father of the Cornhusker Kickback will be gone, but not forgotten. He and his co-conspirator Mary Landrieu - the Mother of the Louisiana Purchase - will probably wind up on K Street making the really big bucks. They've demonstrated an aptitude for soliciting legalized bribes.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Tick,

So what are you seeing on premiums and coverage in health insurance for next year?

We already get to feel the affect of Oprama Care here.

We used to have two choices that were 90/10 with one offering out of network coverage and the other not. I was on the one without since all our docs are in network.

Now you have the 90/10 choice with out of network that is a couple grand more than last year and an 80/20 that is more expensive than the 90/10 was last year.

There are all these things that are covered 100 % by law that we will never use. BTW there should ALWAYS be some sort of co-pay. Nothing, IMO, should be 100% with no copay.

So due to no lifetime limits, covering of retards up to 26 years old on Mom and Dad, and all these other items that are forced to be 100 covered I have to pay more for a smaller benefit.

Good stuff.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I don't see why I have to pay health care premiums which go to pay the medical bills of lazy unproductive sick people.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Would you rather stick them in a slave farm?

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm

you say that like it would be a bad thing.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Wait till his grandkid grows up. It's gonna kill him.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Hack also reminds me of Chavez. Bush might have had the hurricane machine but Obama will give you cancer with a snap of his Muslim fingers.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:18 am

We should bring back workhouses and debtors prisons for the unemployed. That will make them productive.