Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by eCat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 am

no, but I bought a Burton snowboard, boots and Smith goggles. I was going to start learning in November at the local ice mountain we have here that passes as a ski spot. I can ski a little but I like the idea of snowboarding because I'm thinking falling back on your butt is easier than falling with skis.

Our technology advancements has eliminated my courier job. Not sure I'd be up to driving to Colorado anyways
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:35 am

"because I'm thinking falling back on your butt is easier than falling with skis."

You won't think that after your first couple of falls on a snowboard. And if you try to learn on an ice mountain, you're definitely going to fall more than you would on good snow. Once you get the hang of it, though, you'll like it. Better put on a couple of pairs of Depends to start off with, for some extra cushion...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 pm

well I broke my leg the first time I went skiing on that ice mountain about 10 years ago so.....

but its a moot point now, I'm almost positive the trip will be canceled.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:55 pm

I can't remember the last time I skied on the east coast...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:41 pm

I went tubing in rehab.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm

I bought a rustic place in the mountains this past December. It’s 1.5 hours from main residence and is walking distance to a good-size lake. I was initially going to Vrbo it, but, instead, have been living there most weekends myself. Sometimes with family, sometimes by myself (which is my favorite) I’ve never been more relaxed on weekends in my life until now. I now have no desire to travel anywhere else and it’s convenient. I’ve found my sweetspot.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 pm

That's great. There are some nice spots in western NC. Whereabouts is your new honey hole?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm jealous. I'd love to have a small place like that. Having a "vacation" home is a pipe dream for me

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm

Lake Glenville, just north of Cashiers. 25 minutes south of Western Carolina University.

When we moved to Greenville sc, I downsized my primary residence to about 2/3 value so my payments were less. Then I just bought a 40 yr old house in the mountains with no central heat/air (It hardly ever gets higher than 80 degrees in summer and I have a fireplace, a Franklin stove, and two old electric registers to heat in winter). So, it ends up I have two places with 150% of the payments I had for the one Charlotte house. It helps that two of my three kids now are done with college and on their own and the third is attending local state university so I can swing the extra.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 pm

eCat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:04 pm I'm jealous. I'd love to have a small place like that. Having a "vacation" home is a pipe dream for me
Work harder

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 am

sardis wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm Lake Glenville, just north of Cashiers. 25 minutes south of Western Carolina University.

When we moved to Greenville sc, I downsized my primary residence to about 2/3 value so my payments were less. Then I just bought a 40 yr old house in the mountains with no central heat/air (It hardly ever gets higher than 80 degrees in summer and I have a fireplace, a Franklin stove, and two old electric registers to heat in winter). So, it ends up I have two places with 150% of the payments I had for the one Charlotte house. It helps that two of my three kids now are done with college and on their own and the third is attending local state university so I can swing the extra.
I'd be happy to downsize to make the trade off, but distance wise there isn't anything within 4 hours.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:52 am

Everyone in our neighborhood either has a place in Blowing Rock or their parents have places in Blowing Rock. One of the wife's uncles summers at Mountain Air in Burnsville. I haven't been to the mountains since New Years 2011/2012. It's just not my speed. I guess the mountains are great, but I would rather be near salt water, preferably one of the less touristy, more gritty or less commercially developed locales.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:38 am

Topsail?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 am

I think as you get older you get the beach gets less appealing, it just becomes annoying - the heat, the sand, sunburn, salt

Just visiting east coast mountains, which I love, you don't really get the full mountain experience. When we went to Banff, the air really is different. Everything smells like a car air freshener, it just feels pure. But east or west, I just feel more connected to mountains

Wish I could live near them.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 am

eCat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 am I think as you get older you get the beach gets less appealing, it just becomes annoying - the heat, the sand, sunburn, salt
Yeah. That's why Florida is overwhelmed with old retirees.

You either love the ocean or ya don't. Hilton Head is my heaven on earth but my second is Jackson Hole. You visit there and you'll never want to come back.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 am

I was at HH over Memorial Day weekend and it’s nice, but I can only take the beach for about an hour. The crowds are getting bigger and bigger every year there. What is going on in the Forest Beach area?

I think I like the mountains better because of the cool weather and the fact I hate being around people

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 am

HHI is more than just the beach. Up my way in South Forrest it's never very crowded and yes, besides sunrises and sunsets I can only handle an hour or so. But I can take my boat out whenever I want and hang with the dolphins or jet ski. Coligny is within walking distance with great restaurants and nightlife. It's a bike place. You can do anything with a bike.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 pm

North Carolina beach towns have definitely gotten more and more crowded over the years, but places like Morehead and I suspect most others are still nice in the spring and fall (and winter, really). I try to avoid going down over the big summer holidays, but really anytime before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, it's a different world...

Never been to Jackson Hole, but I lived in western Montana for a little while and have a friend who used to live just outside Aspen and another who still lives in Telluride and have visited both many times, along with ski trips to Tahoe, Utah, other spots in Colorado, etc. Wish I had spent more time in the Sierras and Klamaths when I lived in Cali. Hell, I never even went to Yosemite, which is a crime on my part. I love the mountains...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm

As long as you're in the mountains you're ok.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:25 pm

The real mountains. Not that eastern bullshit