AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:35 am

Consider me her guardian angel.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:50 am

"Getting ready to take my baby girl down to Bama tomorrow to start school. Wife has broke down crying at least 4 times this week."

That's b/c she knows she'll have to start coming up with different excuses to not have sex with you...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 pm

You will see the biggest difference in your girl probably by the first time you go to Tuscaloosa to visit, but certainly by Thanksgiving. It's not like they become adults in 2 months, but it will seem like you're at least starting to have a relationship with an adult, even if it's just drinking together (you may already be doing that, but I doubt it). It's kinda nice, actually...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:55 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Consider me her guardian angel.
E, you're fucked

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 pm

10ac wrote:
Tree wrote:This is the boxing thread right? I'm sure some of you guys have seen this but it's always amazing to me how the guy who whipped Ali's ass twice gets stopped in his tracks by a behemoth in his heyday. Schoolyard bullying at its best.

[youtube]W4-WjL8jIyQ[/youtube]
And then "Rope-A-Dope".
Without the rope-a dope strategy he would have almost certainly lost to Foreman. That would have made 3 opponents, Frasier, Foreman, and Norton, that handled him in his prime (I don't count the fights towards the end of his career that he only fought for the money and probably would still be alive today if he hadn't). This all begs the question though. Who exactly did he beat that was any good? Frasier once. Who else? The Liston fight clearly doesn't count.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 pm

How are you saying Foreman "handled" Ali? He knocked him out in the 7th round. Also, he beat Frazier and Norton twice each. I will admit, though, that if Foreman hadn't retired after the Ali fight and had watched the tape, he would've likely destroyed him in a rematch...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm

that was a tough trip.

She's at a good place though.

I'm glad she chose Bama over UK.

I suspect she is going to change quite a bit - she's going to become more independent which she needs. She'll make some mistakes, but she'll be stronger because of it.

Now we got to fix the boy.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Neuter?
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Trade in

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 am

I'll listen to all suggestions
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:15 am

Laps
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 am

What is his issue? Grades? If so, carry him to a few games to visit his sister. Let him see the fun, the co-eds, and what independence looks like. Then take him to the local community college when you get back home and explain how he can take classes there, hold down a job, and live at home (of course he will need to pay rent through chores).
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 am

Yeah, you better emphasize the chores, if the MIF's youngest is any indication, these kids don't mind at all living at home and in fact seem to prefer it...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:39 am

AlabamAlum wrote:What is his issue? Grades? If so, carry him to a few games to visit his sister. Let him see the fun, the co-eds, and what independence looks like. Then take him to the local community college when you get back home and explain how he can take classes there, hold down a job, and live at home (of course he will need to pay rent through chores).
he already regrets not doing what she did in school but I think have bigger issues.

He won't be going to school this year as he got put on academic probation for the second time. I told him I wasn't writing out a check for a Kawasaki KLR650 each semester just to watch him piss it away

and since he isn't in school, as an alternative to paying rent he owes me 30 hours of work each month. Once he decides its time to get serious about life (which better come sooner rather than later) then he goes back to focusing on school and I cover the tab for everything.

This month he seals the driveway and caulks the house. Next month he puts up insulation and drywall in the workshop attic (once summer goes away), after that he demo's the basement bathroom, and starts learning to wrench a car. Finally in November he paints the house

While I benefit from all this work, the work I'm having him do isn't random. Every man needs to know how to hang, mud and sand drywall, he needs to know how to paint, how to change and gap spark plugs change transmission oil - so that drives toward independence. I'm hoping one of two things happen. He either gets some self confidence in himself on doing some projects around the house or he decides this work sucsk so bad he needs to get a skill someone is going to pay him well to do.

Another thing, I'm fucking sick of the cycle of despair on social media. Every kid out there is convinced they are depressed and life is horrible. He is falling victim to that groupthink mentality. They are fucking depressed because they spend all their time on social media talking about being depressed. Go out and do something.

I'm buying him a kayak next week in an effort to get him off that nonsense.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:52 am

hedge wrote:Yeah, you better emphasize the chores, if the MIF's youngest is any indication, these kids don't mind at all living at home and in fact seem to prefer it...
I need to come visit...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:58 am

eCat wrote:This month he seals the driveway and caulks the house. Next month he puts up insulation and drywall in the workshop attic (once summer goes away), after that he demo's the basement bathroom, and starts learning to wrench a car. Finally in November he paints the house

While I benefit from all this work, the work I'm having him do isn't random. Every man needs to know how to hang, mud and sand drywall, he needs to know how to paint, how to change and gap spark plugs change transmission oil - so that drives toward independence. I'm hoping one of two things happen. He either gets some self confidence in himself on doing some projects around the house or he decides this work sucsk so bad he needs to get a skill someone is going to pay him well to do.
My dad tried that with me, and much to his chagrin (and as I grow older, mine as well), the lessons didn't have lasting effects. I come from a family of electricians, farmers, engineers, machinists, construction managers, etc (Hell, my father built the house -- and did everything but the plumbing and masonry -- in which I was raised), and I figured out during all of those lessons: "Fuck, I need to go to law school."
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am

"Hell, my father built the house -- and did everything but the plumbing and masonry -- in which I was raised"

On the bright side, I'm sure the cost of the materials was pretty reasonable in Mar Mac...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:29 pm

DooKSucks wrote:
eCat wrote:This month he seals the driveway and caulks the house. Next month he puts up insulation and drywall in the workshop attic (once summer goes away), after that he demo's the basement bathroom, and starts learning to wrench a car. Finally in November he paints the house

My dad tried that with me, and much to his chagrin (and as I grow older, mine as well), the lessons didn't have lasting effects. I come from a family of electricians, farmers, engineers, machinists, construction managers, etc (Hell, my father built the house -- and did everything but the plumbing and masonry -- in which I was raised), and I figured out during all of those lessons: "Fuck, I need to go to law school."

I'd consider that a success as a parent

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:17 pm

military

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm

I tried to sell him on the coast guard a few weeks ago