Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm

cheap and widely available heroin is keeping meth from making a comeback in our area
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 pm

see. Every drug has some benefit.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:21 pm

This is a bit of a surprise. Don't think it will last.

Poll finds gun owners, even NRA members, back some restrictions

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-finds-gun-ow ... 30922.html
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:22 pm

Wait, I stand corrected. That poll was actually conducted in May.
My Dad is my hero still.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Blame the video games!
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 pm

I am a member of the NRA and I have guns. I support common sense restrictions,limits and checks.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Ditto.
Let 'er Blow!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 am

I do not support limits or restrictions of any kind on law abiding citizens who are mentally stable.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 am

About one in 10 employers plan to drop health coverage when key provisions of the new health care law kick in less than two years from now, according to a survey to be released Tuesday by the consulting company Deloitte.

Nine percent of companies said they expect to stop offering coverage to their workers in the next one to three years, the Wall Street Journal reported. Around 81 percent said they would continue providing benefits and 10 percent said they weren't sure.

The companies, though, said a lot will depend on how future provisions of the law unfold, since most of the key parts are scheduled to take effect in 2014. One in three respondents said they could stop offering coverage if the law requires them to provide more generous benefits than they do now, if a tax on high-cost plans takes effect in 2018 as scheduled or if they decide it would be cheaper for them to pay the penalty for not providing insurance.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 am

No limits or restrictions of any kind? Unfettered access to any kind of weapon?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 am

I support restrictions. I still don't see the point in someone owning a weapon that can fire off 100 rounds in a short time. What is the purpose of owning one?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 am

AlabamAlum wrote:No limits or restrictions of any kind? Unfettered access to any kind of weapon?
again, by a law abiding citizen? absolutely

what is the purpose of owning a car that can go 180mph? Everclear alcohol? 100 disc CD players?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 am

Hmmmm. I appreciate your libertarianism, eCat. Personally, I do not want the general population with SAMs or BunkerBusters or uranium-depleted ammo, etc, etc.

I'm okay with fully auto stuff, but a federal license is probably a common sense requirement in my book.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 am

AlabamAlum wrote:Hmmmm. I appreciate your libertarianism, eCat. Personally, I do not want the general population with SAMs or BunkerBusters or uranium-depleted ammo, etc, etc.

I'm okay with fully auto stuff, but a federal license is probably a common sense requirement in my book.
I can understand that but until there is an affordable surface to air missile at your local gun shop, then this line of thinking is hyperbole. Supply and demand, as well as the common sense of the average law abiding citizen make these coffee talk discussions only. Secondly I think its reasonable to believe that there is no justification for an individual to own a single purpose weapon designed to take down an airplane - unless that is - our government started using airplanes to take out citizens (stayed tuned for armed drones flying over American soil). I can support an argument where a SAM doesn't fall within the guidelines of self defense or a well armed state militia - and that has nothing to do with restrictions or bans, and everything to do with the definition of the second amendment and the context of how they are used.

Do I have the right to buy a tank? a howitzer? a gatlin gun? yes? do I have a right to own a tank in a suburban neighborhood where my rights of ownership (noise, weight restrictions, safety) impede on the rights of others? no.

if someone owns a 300 acre farm and wants to buy a tank, I say more power to them. As a free country, it is incumbent upon me to have not only the trust to believe that a law abiding citizen will use not use it illegally or against society, but extend the right to that person to own it without obstacles out of fear of what they *might* do with it.

The core issue of restrictions is the slippery slope argument so well used by the NRA. I'm actually not a fan of the NRA for several reasons but I don't want a politician , especially the kind of politicians we have today, ever in a position to determine what is reasonable for me in my decisions to protect myself or, perhaps, more importantly, arm myself (along with millions of others) as a deterrent for abuse of power by said politicians.

An extreme example, but I think there can be a compelling argument that if the BATF knew the Branch Davidians were armed to the teeth with superior firepower, they might have chose to actually knock on their door as opposed to kick it down. I firmly believe we need that balance of power in a democracy where our public servants are armed with lethal weapons.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 am

We will have to disagree on this. Regardless of cost, a SAM, should be outside the ownership of a citizen. I can imagine militias and others using it, and I don't think it would just be Donald Trump rich who could have these. Kits and Chinese versions would be available.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 am

Owlman wrote:This is a bit of a surprise. Don't think it will last.

Poll finds gun owners, even NRA members, back some restrictions

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-finds-gun-ow ... 30922.html
I read that poll and didn't see where it focused on the amount or type of weapon as restrictions and focused on , what I've been saying , law abiding citizens (only) owning weapons.

background checks, terrorist watch list, etc - are all pretty accepted norms.

Where people have heartburn regarding these checks is what is done with the information after it has been supplied. Does the government need to know I purchased a 40 round clip for a mini-14? absolutely not.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 am

AlabamAlum wrote:We will have to disagree on this. Regardless of cost, a SAM, should be outside the ownership of a citizen. I can imagine militias and others using it, and I don't think it would just be Donald Trump rich who could have these. Kits and Chinese versions would be available.

if there was demand for it by the general public, they'd be available now. I promise you that once we have armed drones on American soil, there will be surface to air missile kits (or some kind of weaponry to take down a drone). First it will be black market underground stuff but as it is brought to the forefront, probably after the first drone kills an innocent civilian, they'll be out there.

and rightfully so I might add.

We should never have advanced weaponry used against our own citizens that they cannot defend against.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:56 am

I would think that SAMs are illegal now and not covered by the federal license.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 am

AlabamAlum wrote:I would think that SAMs are illegal now and not covered by the federal license.
I'm sure they are but there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, again, an extreme example- and perhaps not entirely realistic but maybe selling a tracking system separately from a rocket that just happens to have a plug for the tracking system. Individually neither is a weapon capable of taking down a drone but together.......

We saw that with the assault weapon ban - gun kits that had everything but the receiver and then people selling the receiver as a block.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 am

We are all law abiding citizens. Until we aren't.