eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by eCat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 pm

I must have messed up karma big time

two nights in a row I've cut a water line (where a water line isn't supposed to be). Because of it tonight I'm pretty sure I fried our $700 convection microwave. I'm letting it dry now but I'm not holding out hope its good to go
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 am

you remodeling?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 am

Sounds like karma is nudging you towards building that tandoori oven, SaheebCat...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:30 am

oh man..

yea I've gutted the guest bath upstairs.

I was cutting the sub floor to run new water and waste lines and unknown to me the plumber who did the original job curved a copper pipe to go around a floor joist which put it right in line with where I was cutting. It supposed to be a straight pipe going up the wall.

by the time I got downstairs to turn the water off, then back up to the garage to cut the power ,the microwave was buzzing.

luckily about 5 years ago I converted the kitchen to GFCI outlets and they tripped.

I thought the microwave was fried which sucks because this was a high dollar sumbitch my wife talked me into buying. Fortunately this morning before I took it out, I decided to test the outlet and sure enough there was no power.

Now everything is back. I just have a long weekend ahead of running new lines and concrete board for the shower.

I've never used pex and sharkbite connectors before but it looks like this is going to make the job much easier.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am

eCat wrote:oh man..

yea I've gutted the guest bath upstairs.

I was cutting the sub floor to run new water and waste lines and unknown to me the plumber who did the original job curved a copper pipe to go around a floor joist which put it right in line with where I was cutting. It supposed to be a straight pipe going up the wall.

by the time I got downstairs to turn the water off, then back up to the garage to cut the power ,the microwave was buzzing.

luckily about 5 years ago I converted the kitchen to GFCI outlets and they tripped.

I thought the microwave was fried which sucks because this was a high dollar sumbitch my wife talked me into buying. Fortunately this morning before I took it out, I decided to test the outlet and sure enough there was no power.

Now everything is back. I just have a long weekend ahead of running new lines and concrete board for the shower.

I've never used pex and sharkbite connectors before but it looks like this is going to make the job much easier.
In all honest, I admire and envy the fact you are so damn handy around the house. My father built our house himself (subbed out the plumbing, roof, concrete and masonry work), and though he tried, I was never able to learn and utilize those skills.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 am

you have a job that affords you the ability to pay people to do those things.

My rural poverty roots will not allow me to pay a professional to do a job I can learn how to do on the internet or by reading a book.

thus, you will never have a microwave short out because you cut a water pipe.

My motivation has also been that if I do it myself, I get to by cool tools with the money that would otherwise go to a professional

I had a guy quote me $4300 to resurface my driveway. The look on my face when he shot me that number told him he would not be doing the job for that kind of money.

Now I have my next project after this.

crashcourse
Senior

Post by crashcourse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:55 pm

doing all the water rooms which all badly needed upgrade

on the third bathroom which is going to involve reframing for firs time

I tear it all out and have a girl who teaches that works part time in summer doing construction at 20/hour she's do the frame/drywall and mudding .

I have both an electrical and plumber that work weekends as a side job.

this is the third bathrrom in 3 years

next year kitchen likely all IKEA shit

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 pm

"she's do the frame/drywall and mudding . "

I wish someone would frame you for a murder you didn't commit...

crashcourse
Senior

Post by crashcourse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:11 pm

weak

epic fail

must be Friday afternoon

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Bong Happy Hour
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:18 am

eCat wrote:you have a job that affords you the ability to pay people to do those things.

My rural poverty roots will not allow me to pay a professional to do a job I can learn how to do on the internet or by reading a book.

thus, you will never have a microwave short out because you cut a water pipe.

My motivation has also been that if I do it myself, I get to by cool tools with the money that would otherwise go to a professional

I had a guy quote me $4300 to resurface my driveway. The look on my face when he shot me that number told him he would not be doing the job for that kind of money.

Now I have my next project after this.
My parents got to the point where they paid someone to do everything, but dad knew he could do all of that shit had he wanted to do so. Me? Not so much.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 am

DS, didn't your parents hit the big time with the tobacco buyouts?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 am

Dad stopped farming a few years before I was born, but he still owned allotments. He did alright with the buyout, but he didn't receive enough to retire.

Now, his buddy received four million and then made millions more by growing on contract the next several years. He retired after that good run because he knew the tobacco companies would stop doing so many contexts and stop buying. He was right. The companies aren't renewing a lot of contracts and you have people who spent millions (and did it with loans) and no guaranteed contracts now. The next great farming collapse is about to happen.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:48 am

The next great farming collapse is about to happen.
Sounds ominous. Please elaborate. Were you referring to tobacco farming, or other crops as well? I have a farm that grows pine trees, so I need to know.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:57 am

I'm waiting to pounce on this. Farmland prices have already started coming down due to global surplus of food. Would like to lock in on something.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I took a beating in 2008. The economic crash caused the price of lumber to plummet. At the same time, my trees started getting pine beetles, which meant I had to clear cut all the trees immediately (well before their maturity) or run the risk of having them all getting infested and therefore unmarketable. My once-every-15 years harvest was a disaster financially.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:33 pm

DS is right about hard times for eastern NC farmers. Tobacco was always the money crop, and now the big boys have total control over who gets to grow. Not many farmers around here are big enough to make it on other crops. Sweet potatoes have helped some. There will be many folks getting out of farming around here over the next several years...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:16 pm

To make real money in farming these days, you need to have a BIG farm and run it extremely efficiently and scientifically. The days of the small family farm planting by the moon are over.

Anything less than 1,000 acres makes you a hobby farmer like me.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 pm

I've been catching up on Westworld the last few weeks. It's a great new spin on the human vs robot tale that's been going on for some time. You guys think there's anything to this theory about intelligence being nothing more than peacock feathers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fynf9wHR7HI
Butt juice

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:34 am

hedge wrote:DS is right about hard times for eastern NC farmers. Tobacco was always the money crop, and now the big boys have total control over who gets to grow. Not many farmers around here are big enough to make it on other crops. Sweet potatoes have helped some. There will be many folks getting out of farming around here over the next several years...
Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is growing sweet potatoes now. I can't imagine that ending well for most of them.

I have seen farm land in bfe going for well over $5,000.00 per acre. It's fucking ludicrous. Some people are getting over $150 per acre on leases. The farm credit entities have been handing out loans and credit lines like crazy. By the end of the decade, things will look like the mid and late eighties all over again.