Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

I just read that if you are involuntarily bumped then you can demand a cash reward as opposed to a voucher.

I took the voucher once - a free round trip domestic ticket and then found out it expired in a year and was non transferable when I read the fine print.

It was essentially worthless to me. But I volunteered to be bumped so that's on me.

It should have never got to the point where a passenger was seated on the plane and then asked to volunteer to leave. If you're sitting in the terminal with luggage in tow, people will jump at a $500 voucher.

Seated, ready to leave with your stuff in the overhead bin, that price just doubled easily. In this case that wasn't enough.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:05 am

hedge wrote:What about an app that allows everybody on the plane to put in their bid on what they'll take to get bumped? Then they just take the lowest bidders and it's all voluntary. Kinda like a Dutch auction...

I like that idea. What is your inconvenience price? You could call it something like TimeWorth.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:09 am

I have taken a bump deal once. Got $400, a hotel, a meal voucher, and stayed an extra night in San Diego. My only complaint was the hotel was at the Courtyard at the airport as opposed to someplace a bit closer to Market Street. Still had fun. Although, looking back, my taxi and bar tab combined took a good chunk of my 400 bucks.

THOSE BASTARDS!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:15 am

eCat wrote:I just read that if you are involuntarily bumped then you can demand a cash reward as opposed to a voucher.

I took the voucher once - a free round trip domestic ticket and then found out it expired in a year and was non transferable when I read the fine print.

It was essentially worthless to me. But I volunteered to be bumped so that's on me.

It should have never got to the point where a passenger was seated on the plane and then asked to volunteer to leave. If you're sitting in the terminal with luggage in tow, people will jump at a $500 voucher.

Seated, ready to leave with your stuff in the overhead bin, that price just doubled easily. In this case that wasn't enough.
Yeah, it seems there is a DOT minimum cash value formula based on your ticket price and how soon they get you to your original destination that youre entitled to if bumped involuntarily.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 am

CEO for united still blaming the passenger

PR nightmare could have been settled for a thousand bucks

course those passengers that were asked in the first place were never told they could get up to a 1000 in cash

united put that out after the fact

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 am

just read a story about a woman who buys two tickets on a habitually overbooked flight for a busy holiday months in advance, shows up at the airport and waits for them to offer serious money , sells her ticket and goes back home with a $800-$1500 profit.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 pm

hedge wrote:What about an app that allows everybody on the plane to put in their bid on what they'll take to get bumped? Then they just take the lowest bidders and it's all voluntary. Kinda like a Dutch auction...
Delta does that when you check in.
Let 'er Blow!

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:19 pm

I feel like United does too on a couple flights I have taken...but maybe it's not for the regional carries DBA United Express or whatever.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:30 pm

[img2][/img2]

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 pm

[youtube]1Y8HdeHtOJs[/youtube]
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Hopefully this PR nightmare forces United to do a win back business sale soon. I want to / need to go to Asia later this year and cheaper airfare would really help.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Where in Asia, Cletus?

So far, I have only done Japan x2, Bangkok x1, and India x1. I need to do more.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm

It annoys me a bit to see Continental's logo plastered all over the United web memes. Was better when they were our local airline.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Saint » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Seems like if the doctor really did have to see patients in Louisville and the airline goons horsecollared him and gave him the boot, he really would have grounds for a lawsuit.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:22 pm

except he's been convicted for giving out prescription drugs in exchange for gay sex

not that it matters in this case, being a doctor shouldn't matter in this case - everyone has a reason to be going somewhere.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:26 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/united ... spartanntp
United Airlines clarified Tuesday that the flight in which a man was dragged off, screaming, Sunday was not overbooked.
According to USA Today, United and its regional affiliate, Republic Airlines, which operated the flight, needed to remove four passengers to accommodate crew members who needed to be in Louisville on Monday. United had initially said the flight was overbooked.
United’s chief executive, meanwhile, defended his employees, saying the passenger, who refused to give up his seat, was belligerant. The battered and bloodied man was dragged back to the terminal at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.
One of the officers involved in the incident was placed on leave pending an investigation. But international outrage continued Tuesday, with United’s stock price falling, memes exploding and disturbing videos of the incident shared across the world.
Let 'er Blow!

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:29 pm

That the seats were needed for stewardesses (and probably at least one gay steward) is even worse than overbooking.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:45 pm

"So far, I have only done Japan x2, Bangkok x1, and India x1. I need to do more."

I've heard people who have visited India say that India stands for "I'll never do it again"...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Hong Kong

Saint
All-American