Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by aTm » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:54 pm

I recommend you use google. type in what items you want to search for and then add "site:goatpen.net"

I had to clear out the database table that was storing every single search term because our hosting company didnt like that there was a ridiculously huge database being generated by the site. They shut us down for a day or so and I had to fix "issues" they had. It seemed like what they were mainly concerned with was sites generating database tables that were just ever growing batches of robot comment spam. So basically the search only goes back to the point I cleared it out, since only posts since then were added to the new search archive table.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:11 pm

anybody watch westworld yet?

2 episodes behind but should have them done by the final episode this week

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:52 pm

I wish you were somewhere west of this world...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am

fail

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Our latest techno acquisition just missed their forecast by 109%

I'm not sure how that's even possible.

They cost us more than they took in

and that isn't some kind of write off accounting trick

that is ummm...we don't know what we're doing.

I picked a bad week to pitch more headcount.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:47 pm

But when he arrived in Manhattan, U.S. companies did not yet worship at the altars of style and elegance. That era’s capitalists were monotheistic: Efficiency was their only god. American factories—with their electricity, assembly lines, and scientifically calibrated workflow—produced an unprecedented supply of cheap goods by the 1920s, and it became clear that factories could make more than consumers naturally wanted. It took executives like Alfred Sloan, the CEO of General Motors, to see that by, say, changing a car’s style and color every year, consumers might be trained to crave new versions of the same product. To sell more stuff, American industrialists needed to work hand in hand with artists to make new products beautiful—even “cool.”

Loewy had an uncanny sense of how to make things fashionable. He believed that consumers are torn between two opposing forces: neophilia, a curiosity about new things; and neophobia, a fear of anything too new. As a result, they gravitate to products that are bold, but instantly comprehensible. Loewy called his grand theory “Most Advanced Yet Acceptable”—MAYA. He said to sell something surprising, make it familiar; and to sell something familiar, make it surprising.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ol/508772/
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:34 am

funny you linked this

I'm about to make a pitch to a Senior V.P. to take over sales training in our company and in that article they mentioned scientifically designed workflow which is what I'd be teaching the salesmen, but our bread and butter is maintenance revenue - year over years static income where the customer gets the new and shiney latest as part of their maintenance fee.

When we cut costs, we hire more salesmen and move the "new and shiney" division to India. Its an approach I've been against for years.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 pm

I've decided to download LastPass and use generated passwords that I can access for all of my accounts, rather than remember them all. Holy fuck, no wonder I can't remember all of these logins. I'm over 50 fucking accounts already and I keep remembering and thinking of other ones that I hadnt thought of yet all the time.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Between me and my wife, we have over 600 logins in our 1Password vault. I'm sure there are duplicates in there but still it's ridiculous. And, despite using 1Password, I bet we have a lot of the same passwords in there.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:43 pm

There are (were) about 10-20 things that I had to either reset the password or lookup the login every single fucking time i needed to login since I only needed to a couple times or a few times a year. And of course all the important shit used to have basically the same password as every other thing with minor variations, otherwise I'd never be able to remember all that. I also just discovered during this process that my shitty 4 digit pin on my phone allows you to actually view all apple keychain passwords stored on my phone if you know it, so hopefully I can shut that down and have safari and chrome use lastpass extensions instead.

SnoodGator
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by SnoodGator » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Great program aTm. Best part is sharing a password with others (wife) and being able to change the password yet she can still use it.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:53 am

I had to create a MS email account to fire up my son's Xbox he got from his grandparents yesterday. By the time I was done remembering all the passwords I needed for that whole process (Netflix, Skype, Minecraft, etc), I realized I had forgotten the one for my online banking when I went to check my balance last night. It just vaporized in my memory. Now I'm going to have to go through a ton of shit to get a new one in place unless it just comes back to me.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Morons

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm

"I realized I had forgotten the one for my online banking when I went to check my balance last night. It just vaporized in my memory."

Sounds like the money in your account has something in common with the passwords in your memory...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:52 am

Shut the fuck up

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:47 pm

ATM

whats involved in creating a box for GIFV to be embedded here? Is it a matter of flipping a switch on phpBB or adding some code to the index file like this

<center><iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="660" height="370" src="//i.imgur.com/$1.gifv#embed"></iframe></center>?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:16 pm

That looks right...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:28 pm

hedge wrote:That looks right...

ok, lets go with that

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:17 pm

I may be able to activate an extension (info from the link below) that allows us to just post the url's for lots of places directly rather than using the bb code or html code at all. I'll look into it.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2272431

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:37 pm

This looks like it will be a rather involved process where we need to update the board from 3.0.x to 3.1.x and may invalidate some of the style modifications and such we have made, but probably is something we need to go ahead and do to stay up to date with cool stuff to add and actually be using a supported product. So, #1 Im not gonna rush this yet, cuz I dont wanna break the board, and #2 when I do do this it may take a while to get the look of the site back to where it needs to be, I dont know how much is change going to be forced upon the site when I update the board software.