Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Alabama Crimson Tide

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:36 am

I disagree. See, what everyone forgets is when there were no scholarship limits, everybody had to deal with that. For example, you couldn't count on getting a Georgia lean because they had no spots, because they did. And there are absolutely just as many great coaches, they just coached a different game than the modern coaches do.

Saban has to keep winning. If he does, he will be in the conversation. Right now, Bryant coaching at Bama over the end of the 1950's, all of the 1960's, all of the 1970's, and the beginning of the 1980's, with all the changes and evolutions of the game, and still staying at or near the top gives Bryant the edge for now.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

DDAL
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgia
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by DDAL » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:28 am

Saban may win his 5th recognized national championship and most likely his 5th SEC title in just 15 years. I wasn't around during the Bear's era, but it is hard to imagine he was any better than that.
34 Years and Counting...

Orangefreak
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by Orangefreak » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:44 am

10ac wrote:Kiffin was just toying with them. Making them feel like they had a chance. There's no one in the country that could do what he has done. Why even keep Saban around?
Indeed. In fact, a little bird is whispering if The Nick is not run out of town immediately, Lane will be packing for Gainesville soon. :ugeek:
Let the Jones era begin

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:52 am

DDAL wrote:Saban may win his 5th recognized national championship and most likely his 5th SEC title in just 15 years. I wasn't around during the Bear's era, but it is hard to imagine he was any better than that.

Saban has three MNCs at Bama, Bryant had six. But, back then, they had some much different rules for getting to the game, and when the polls came out, and some other factors that influenced who got the nod. I think looking at SEC championships or co-championships is telling.

SEC championships (or co-championships) under Bryant:

1961 Alabama
1964 Alabama
1965 Alabama
1966 Alabama
1971 Alabama
1972 Alabama
1973 Alabama
1974 Alabama
1975 Alabama
1977 Alabama
1978 Alabama
1979 Alabama
1981 Alabama
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

DDAL
Sophomore

Post by DDAL » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Georgia won in 1981
34 Years and Counting...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:04 pm

It was a co-championship.
— Abraham Lincoln

DDAL
Sophomore

Post by DDAL » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Who played in the Sugar Bowl?
34 Years and Counting...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:42 pm

The Sugar Bowl Committee selected Georgia. Alabama went to the Cotton (back when it was a major bowl).

But both Georgia and Alabama were undefeated in SEC play that year. It was a co-championship.
— Abraham Lincoln

savgator
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by savgator » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:52 pm

The sugar bowl wanted Walker not Georgia

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:25 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Since the start of 2008, 83-10.

Records of 12-2, 14-0, 10-3, 12-1, 13-1, 11-2, and 11-1 (so far).

Outstanding.
Especially when you consider in a majority of weeks of those seasons, Bammer was in 'trouble' and 'expected to lose' most of those games. *snort*

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm

AlabamAlum wrote: Saban has three MNCs at Bama, Bryant had six. But, back then, they had some much different rules for getting to the game, and when the polls came out, and some other factors that influenced who got the nod. I think looking at SEC championships or co-championships is telling.
EFZ. There is no such thing as a 'co-championship' anymore. In Bryant's time the SEC season totaled 6 games; you only played 5 of the other teams twice in a 10 year span, and the no-scholly limits heavily tilted the field in the haves favor - Bryant had a much easier time padding his roster (keeping prized recruits off of other teams) than the have-not programs of the day doing the same.

It is largely an apples vs oranges comparison, but I'd still give a slightly higher grade to Saban's oranges over Bryant's apples.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Congrats on a well-played win, AA. Now go represent and win another NC for the SEC.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

The Gray Ghost wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote: Saban has three MNCs at Bama, Bryant had six. But, back then, they had some much different rules for getting to the game, and when the polls came out, and some other factors that influenced who got the nod. I think looking at SEC championships or co-championships is telling.
EFZ. There is no such thing as a 'co-championship' anymore. In Bryant's time the SEC season totaled 6 games; you only played 5 of the other teams twice in a 10 year span, and the no-scholly limits heavily tilted the field in the haves favor - Bryant had a much easier time padding his roster (keeping prized recruits off of other teams) than the have-not programs of the day doing the same.

It is largely an apples vs oranges comparison, but I'd still give a slightly higher grade to Saban's oranges over Bryant's apples.

Well, 7 SEC games many of those years. I still think it was just as hard. Most of all teams in what is now considered the "Power 5" were the "haves" and they could load for bear (literally and figuratively). So, while I concede the Middle Tennessee's of the world weren't a factor early in Bryant's career, the "haves" were. And considering what Bryant had to go through with changes to the game - from single platoon to the changes to aid the passing game - he still won.

Also, remember that his last three championships happened after scholarship limits started. He evolved and succeeded with whatever changes he faced.

Edge, Bryant. Two or three more championships and Saban will arguably have the edge. But it won't be a slam dunk even then. The kind of three decade success Bryant had is really incredible.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

The Gray Ghost wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:Since the start of 2008, 83-10.

Records of 12-2, 14-0, 10-3, 12-1, 13-1, 11-2, and 11-1 (so far).

Outstanding.
Especially when you consider in a majority of weeks of those seasons, Bammer was in 'trouble' and 'expected to lose' most of those games. *snort*

You know we will lose to Mizzou, correct?
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Congrats on a well-played win, AA. Now go represent and win another NC for the SEC.

Thanks. Malzahn is a helluva coach. No one has sliced through Saban's D the way Malzahn did. Ever.

Also, looks like AU fired Ellis. Muschamp?
— Abraham Lincoln

DDAL
Sophomore

Post by DDAL » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Better do it before Spurrier gets him.
34 Years and Counting...

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by KeviNole » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Or Sumlin.

I guess everyone is firing their DC to pick up Muschamp. It'd be funny if he decided just to sit out a few years and relax.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:13 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:Congrats on a well-played win, AA. Now go represent and win another NC for the SEC.

Thanks. Malzahn is a helluva coach. No one has sliced through Saban's D the way Malzahn did. Ever.

Also, looks like AU fired Ellis. Muschamp?
I wish Ellis Johnson well in his future endeavors, but he needed to go. Our defenses have been descending to Ted Roof levels of sucktitude as the season progressed.

I'd love to get Muschamp. You'd think hiring an ex-head coach as a coordinator might be a problem, but Saban's hire of Kiffin was a big success. There's no reason Muschamp couldn't be a good DC hire for us. I wouldn't mind Chizik as DC for that matter. He was a disaster as HC, but a he was a superb DC under Tubby.

Another intriguing possibility I heard mentioned is Bo Pellini. As of today, he is available. He was a very good DC at LSU too.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah. Pelini will be a hot name.
— Abraham Lincoln

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:48 pm

If Bo Pelini has to become a DC again that is insane. 7 years to start his career and 67 wins? Some school better snap him up as a head coach. I'm pretty sure Nebraska is about to head back to the shitter and I'm going to laugh because they are bringing it down on themselves again. Enjoy your new Callahan.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.