Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Found this one too. Never heard the national uproar on this one either.

[youtube]-9mL5DKjnkY[/youtube]

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Did the kid die? Did the cops investigate? Did no one get arrested?

Also, to quiet you curiosity, there were a couple of arrests made in the beating and stripping of the Baltimore man. CNN reported on it.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 pm

No. But she did.

[youtube]WwSolQx9Ysg[/youtube]

"He's a good kid"

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Oh, they're at a hearing? Good they were arrested and the aggrieved can have their day in court to get justice served. Good find.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:21 pm

They were arrested because they had concrete evidence, not intense media pressure. This whole thing has been driven by the media.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm

If Zimmerman had a Hispanic mom & a Hispanic pop would it be national news that a Hispanic shot a black kid? Nope, thus the new term, "White Hispanic."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Here's the image of Zimmerman the media ran with with it first went National (I think it's from 06?)

Here's what he actually looks like today

Here's the image the media ran with of Martin when it first went National

Can't find a recent one of him. Don't think his folks have put one out there. Maybe this?

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Rat, you seem to think the problem that everyone has on this case is that they're upset that there was no publicity on this trial in the beginning. This is extremely far from the truth. The question was whether or not the police took it seriously when investigating it and thus leading to an arrest. Everything you keep showing is about people doing something wrong, an investigation taking place and an arrest being made. You are proving the point. They were arrested because an investigation was made, not because the police said, "well the perpetrator said he had no choice, we'll accept that."
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Dude, the outrage was initially about the dead kid and no arrest. It made 3 paragraphs in the local paper. It sat dead in the water for 3 weeks. A Twitter campaign was started to drum up attention and it gained steam. EVERY FUCKING CLIP you posted was about people getting arrested for fucked up crimes that were perpetrated by black people against white people. EVERY FUCKING THING you've posted included information about offenders being arrested. This Martin issue is about the arrest. Please understand it. You, 10ac and BRM are making the laziest fucking argument ever, over and over again. It's mindblowing. It's been said by myriad people that this would not have been a story if they would have arrested Zimmerman from the jump...found guilty or not guilty.

You are correct about it being driven by the media (which in a way is correct, the same way Arab Spring was driven by the media), but that is because justice was not served...and it has been done successfully and unsuccessfully across the racial spectrum; from Todd Willingham to various others I can't recall off the top of my head.

I have no idea why you guys keep laying on this racial shit like it's the crux of the issue. It's not. It's so idiotic to me.
Last edited by Bklyn on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:44 pm

The police didn't pursue it because of the "Stand your ground" law and the fact his injuries and witness statements seemed to go along with his story. Add in the police history with that neighborhood. My bitch is with the whole White-Black thing. It's really not. Yet that's where Al and the media have taken it. Should he have been charged? I don't know. Martin isn't here to tell his side of the story. Probably if only to find out more of the facts. Murder 2? No way, that's reaching and a political move for the next election. "Hey look, I tried black people, vote for me". I hate this OJ, Casey Anthony, Zimmerman media shit. Hate it.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:47 pm

The first pics of Zimmerman were because that's all that was available of public record at that point in time. I think the first is from the arrest he had. The second photo they ran in the media was one that was more recent. It looked like a work photo/ID batch type of thing. The one you posted is from the arraignment, I believe.

Just think, you could've had that photo in early March if they would have arrested his ass like most competent police departments do in this country.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Or you could have waited until you got everything together and not rushed to judgement. Or caved to the media.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:38 pm

The police rushed to judgement by not arresting him...which is likely to be a main contributor in the public not having a really clear picture of what happened that night, and Zimm quite possibly getting acquitted.

Like Simon wrote, SYG changes it so the state now has to prove that you were not justified in taking a human life, instead of how its been since the inception of our laws when the person had to prove they were justified in killing.

As a result, the police whiffed on their responsibility (in a case that is not even SYG) to tag and bag evidence that would tell the whole story and instead let a man go home.

Shameful shit.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

The police had nothing else to go on besides Zimmermans statements, his smashed in nose & back of his head, witness statements and knowing that it was not only he who called them out to his neighborhood on a daily basis because of constant break ins. He said at his hearing that he thought Martin was closer to his age than 17. Anyone seen a pic of the kid post 2011? I would rather the cops take 2 weeks, months to research a case than make a snap judgement because Al Sharpton was gonna come to town if they didn't.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: I would rather the cops take 2 weeks, months to research a case than make a snap judgement because Al Sharpton was gonna come to town if they didn't.

they werent going to wait 2 weeks or do months of research to do a damned thing, it was an open & shut case before the media got involved

you really think that police department was in the process of preparing for an arrest before the media buzz?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Heh. Cops should always make a snap judgement on a murder. What they should do is process the person, take his statement. Photo his clothes. Take those clothes into evidence. Photo the position of the body. Take witness statements. Test the shooter for drugs and alcohol (like they did the boy). Put him in bracelets and take him to the precinct and process him for prints, powder residue and other physical issues. If that means he stays overnight, then so be it. AFTER that, then the DA can decide if he wants to move forward with an indictment.

I don't think any of the above are unreasonable in a homicide. A lot of the above did not occur.

They do more in a suspected DUI than what they did in Sanford.

Al Sharpton did not need to know about this...and since he did, shame on Sanford PD for letting it get to the point where he hopped a plane to cause a fuss.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:04 pm

I take back my original (2nd) sentence. Police don't need to make a snap judgement on an arrest. It should be procedural what you do whenever a homicide is committed and the person who admits to the homicide is standing there. Snap judgements shouldn't factor, at all. Snap judgements are for exigent circumstances. This was not that.

I can't fathom a legitimate reason why a full process is not executed when a homicide takes place, unless you just don't want to do the work.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Bklyn wrote:Heh. Cops should always make a snap judgement on a murder. What they should do is process the person, take his statement. Photo his clothes. Take those clothes into evidence. Photo the position of the body. Take witness statements. Test the shooter for drugs and alcohol (like they did the boy). Put him in bracelets and take him to the precinct and process him for prints, powder residue and other physical issues. If that means he stays overnight, then so be it. AFTER that, then the DA can decide if he wants to move forward with an indictment.

I don't think any of the above are unreasonable in a homicide. A lot of the above did not occur.

They do more in a suspected DUI than what they did in Sanford.

Al Sharpton did not need to know about this...and since he did, shame on Sanford PD for letting it get to the point where he hopped a plane to cause a fuss.
So you are making a judgement that it was murder. Why?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Bklyn wrote:I take back my original (2nd) sentence. Police don't need to make a snap judgement on an arrest. It should be procedural what you do whenever a homicide is committed and the person who admits to the homicide is standing there. Snap judgements shouldn't factor, at all. Snap judgements are for exigent circumstances. This was not that.

I can't fathom a legitimate reason why a full process is not executed when a homicide takes place, unless you just don't want to do the work.
Didn't see that before I posted the last.

Sometimes homicides aren't really homicides after people take the time to breath a little bit.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:15 pm

So you are making a judgement that it was murder. Why?
No, I'm not. The judgement is that a homicide took place and a procedure should be codified where specific steps need to occur in order to have the clearest picture possible.

At that point, no one is saying it was murder (in the legal sense). It's acknowledging the incident for what it is at the base level (a homicide) and going straight to procedures.

A cop pulls over a car driving erratically and the driver is slurring his words. The police officer isn't judging that he is drunk, just that a circumstance now requires him to execute the procedure he's been trained to execute when he suspects a drunk driver. After that breathalizer and field test, then he has a clearer picture.

He doesn't smell his breath, take him to the station where the guy says he had one beer, sipped over a few hours, was driving home dropping cigarette ash on his lap causing him to swerve and the police let him go because it was all plausible.

I'm asking for a level of due diligence on a homicide (we all can agree a homicide happened) that ALL police should do in order to get the clearest picture possible on the situation. It did not happen in this ZimMart case.