Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:38 am

eCat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:34 pm
innocentbystander wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:36 pm regarding your George Bailey avatar eCat, I made the family watch It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve. There is so much Americana in that movie that has had such an impact and influence over our culture as US citizens (and how we live among each other), its amazing that movie has touched us in so many ways. To think that a man with so much potential can touch so many lives even if all that he does, is entirely localized. He financed a suburb and improved the lives of 1000 people. And they love him for it. Its truly amazing.
The movie actually didn't do well in theaters , post war America's taste for movies wasn't about the Norman Rockwell paintings brought to life. They were tired of Mom and apple pie. It wasn't until it became Saturday afternoon public domain fare that it became appreciated for portraying a way of life that appealed to the working class.

That and Mr. Smith goes to Washington represent an America that everyone wants but knows could never exist.
Yup.

IMHO, the box office numbers are not a good reflection on how good a movie that has been created. The Box Office numbers for Shawshank Redemption also sucked, but that is (arguably) the greatest movie ever made.

The problem here is the marketplace. Who goes to movies and pays full ticket price at the box office the moment it is released? Boys age 14 to 28. That is pretty much the target marketplace for motion pictures at the box office, grown boys and very young men who are NOT getting laid at the moment but want to hang out with other guys who are not getting laid, with somewhere to go, and be mindlessly entertained. And what does that market (that is willing to pay full price) want to see? Sex and nudity. Explosions. Non-stop violence. CGI. And they want it fast as they have ADHD and can't focus on an interesting plot/story line. Now I think with direct streaming, things are changing (as is the marketplace) but until theaters go away, Marvel Movies (with basically no plot beyond what we are expecting and non-stop action) will be the movies that do well for the $$$$$$.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 am

if you have no idea, then you probably shouldn't guess. Believe in the science and all that horseshit.........

------------------

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday significantly revised downward the estimate of the percentage of new COVID-19 infections in the U.S. caused by the omicron variant of the virus.

According to agency data, omicron accounted for about 59 percent of all U.S. infections as of Dec. 25. Previously, the CDC said the omicron variant comprised 73 percent of all cases for the week ending Dec. 18. But that number has now been revised to 22.5 percent of all cases.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:14 am

Saying The Shawshank Redemption is possibly the greatest movie of all time is another one of IB’s incredibly stupid moments.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:25 am

He doesn’t hold Smokey and the Bandit in high esteem like most Eastern North Carolinians.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:28 am

DooKSucks wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:14 am Saying The Shawshank Redemption is possibly the greatest movie of all time is another one of IB’s incredibly stupid moments.
Maybe. From a purely "objective" sense, it does have the highest rated IMDB movie rating of any movie ever made in the history of, ever. But no one really cares what you think DS. I have an opinion and you are welcome to your opinion. So, that's that.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:51 pm

It’s a good movie but greatest of all time? Hardly

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:36 pm

It's not. Don't forget, IB is a follower. Not a leader.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:37 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:51 pm It’s a good movie but greatest of all time? Hardly
I could say that it is arguably the best movie of all time. You could argue against it. That's fine.

What you have not done is provide the name of another movie that you think is the greatest. All you did was criticize me.

Coward.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:47 pm

Ghislaine Maxwell

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ghislaine ... n-sex-ring

Guilty on 5 of 6 counts:
  • conspiracy to entice a minor to travel to engage in illegal sex acts
  • transporting a minor with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity
  • conspiracy to transport a minor with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity
  • sex trafficking conspiracy
  • child sex trafficking.
The jury found her not guilty of a six charge: enticing a minor to travel to engage in illegal sex acts.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:29 pm

There goes my 9 o'clock

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 pm

270584420_5345683238781250_1800430543560202203_n.jpg
270584420_5345683238781250_1800430543560202203_n.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 353 times

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 am

this made me laugh

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:07 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 pm 270584420_5345683238781250_1800430543560202203_n.jpg

Well rat, they do have a list of powerful men that the federal government KNOW worked with Epstein (in one way or another), many of which were listed on the flight logs of the Lolita Express
  • Prince Andrew
  • Bill Clinton
  • Bill Gates
  • Leon Black
  • Alan Dershowitz
  • Donald Trump
We all know who Prince Andrew fucked. We all know Bill Gates' wife divorced him for whatever HE did with Epstein (and he's not telling anyone.) We all know about Leon Black. We all know that one of President Clinton's Secret Service agents (who was protecting him at the time) was killed while he was on a small boat watching Clinton on Epstein-pedophile-island (that happened.) And we all know about the civil suit with Alan Dershowitz and all the depositions that Leslie Wexner had to give just 3 weeks ago in that case.

Donald Trump? We all know about him as well. Epstein was a member at Mar-A-Lago. Epstein and Ghislaine tried to recruit young girls who worked at Mar-A-Lago. That is where they met Virginia Roberts. Her dad (Sky Roberts) also worked for Donald Trump at Mar-A-Lago where he got his daughter a job. Apparently, Virginia went for whatever financial offer that Epstein and Ghislaine offered. (It appears she may have needed money for drugs.) What got Epstein BOOTED from Mar-A-Lago was he tried to solicit another girl there who worked for Trump who was ALSO the daughter of a member. Unlike Virginia Roberts, this under-age girl was NOT a drug addict and was grossed out by Ghislaine and Epstein. She told her boss who told Donald, and Donald told Jeffrey to get the fuck out. That was (apparently) the last time Donald and Jeffrey had contact (sometime AFTER this picture.)

Me personally? I say, the hell with ALL these guys. If the FBI or the justice department can contact any of the girls (kinda whores) who fucked any of them (when they were underage) then I say, if those girls (now grown women) are willing to take the stand and testify in court, throw them all the in federal penn regardless of how many billions of dollars they have or whomever they know. I don't give a FUCK about Bill Gates and I don't care if this ruins Microsoft.

So Ghislaine was found guilty. She is going to get about 65 years. So this is a life sentence for her, she is 60. If she ever wants to live any of her remaining years outside of prison, she has to be a rat. And to be honest, I want her to rat the "Johns" out. We all do. I would be happy if the fed traded back to her 5 years of freedom for every "John" she rats out that they can prosecute and incarcerate. I want her to be the Federal government's #1 witness now that they have a bargaining chip (her freedom.) I say they should use that.

I'll close with this, rat, eCat, you guys are Ohio residents. Have either of you ever been to New Albany Ohio? You guys know who this Leslie Wexner guy is? He lives right there in your state, in New Albany wherever the fuck that is. He may very well be the central kingpin to ALL of these shenanigans (even over the late Epstein.)

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:21 am

innocentbystander wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:37 pm
DooKSucks wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:51 pm It’s a good movie but greatest of all time? Hardly
I could say that it is arguably the best movie of all time. You could argue against it. That's fine.

What you have not done is provide the name of another movie that you think is the greatest. All you did was criticize me.

Coward.
In no particular order: To Kill a Mockingbird, Godfather, Godfather II, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, North by Northwest, Schindler's List, The Graduate, Some Like it Hot, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Silence of the Lambs, One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest, Bonnie and Clyde, Raging Bull, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Searchers, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape, and that's just a random list of classic / "all time great" type movies of off the top of my head that I can guarantee any group of critics and intelligent people would all poll far above Shawshank.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:23 am

your chosen profession puts To Kill a Mockingbird #1 in your eyes.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:31 am

Fun random fact: Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape was largely based off of man from my hometown (Dortch Lewis). Lewis wouldn't talk about the war much but the local paper's longtime editor (who was the man's friend) finally got him to relent and do a Q&A after a viewing of the movie. Lewis said that the worst thing the Germans could do was place him in the "cooler" because those periods of isolation allowed for him to focus on his planning without disturbance...

Here is the man's NYT Obituary:

John D. Lewis, 84, Pilot in 'The Great Escape'

Aug. 13, 1999

John Dortch Lewis, whose exploits as a prisoner of war in Germany provided the basis for the character played by Steve McQueen in the 1963 film ''The Great Escape,'' died of pancreatic cancer Sunday at his home in Goldsboro, N.C. He was 84.

Gene Price, a friend and the former editor of The Goldsboro News-Argus, described Mr. Lewis, a partner in an insurance agency, as a reclusive man who kept his wartime memories largely to himself. But several years ago Mr. Price prevailed on him to attend a showing of the film and answer questions.

In the film, directed by John Sturges, Mr. Lewis was transposed into an American flyer named Hilts, who single-mindedly keeps trying to escape from Stalag Luft No. 3, where the Germans held 600 Allied prisoners. Many spent a year secretly building three escape tunnels they called Tom, Dick and Harry.

In real life, Mr. Lewis crawled, climbed and conned his way out of the camp three times, only to be caught, returned and punished. He was successful on his fourth try.

''The night they showed the movie,'' Mr. Price recalled, ''John said they had Hollywooded his character a bit: he never rode a motorcycle out of the camp and he never had a baseball glove in there.''

When Mr. Lewis was asked what led him to keep trying to escape despite punishment, he answered, ''I just wanted to come home.''

And when Mr. Price asked him what role fear had played in his actions, his friend replied: ''None at all. I knew from the start that it would be a long war and that I probably wouldn't come out of it alive, so I just wanted to run up the best score that I could.''

According to his son, John Lewis Jr., Mr. Lewis started thinking of escape even before he was brought to Stalag Luft No. 3, in Polish Silesia.

His P-39 Bell Air Cobra had been shot down over North Africa and for several weeks Mr. Lewis avoided capture in the desert by darkening his skin with clay and wearing Arab dress. When he was caught and taken to the camp in 1943, he began scavenging items that might aid him in escaping, first using some items to make moonshine liquor.

As represented in the book from which the film was adapted, also called ''The Great Escape,'' most of the airmen were also preoccupied with escape. The author, Paul Brickhill of Australia, wrote from his experiences as a captured pilot.

Mr. Brickhill, who knew Mr. Lewis, described how the prisoners planned and built not only escape tunnels but also dummy passages intended to befuddle the Nazis. For their part, the Germans had a unit called ferrets who constantly kept probing for underground passages.

After one of Mr. Lewis' escapes, he was brought back to face the German commandant, who asked him to give his word that he would not try to escape again. If he promised that, the commandant said, after the war he would make Mr. Lewis the police commissioner of New York.

Mr. Lewis replied that he could not give such assurances and that, in any case, he was planning on becoming the Mayor of Berlin. He was sent to the isolation cells and put on a diet of bread and water.

On his final -- successful -- escape, Mr. Lewis, an accomplished hunter and outdsoorsman, bolted from a train carrying prisoners and made his way across much of Europe to the advancing Allied lines. This occurred during the last stages of the war, not long after the night when 76 British airmen escaped through the tunnel called Harry, the incident that is the central theme of the movie.

Of the 76 airmen who emerged on the other side of the barbed wire, only three made it to Britain. Within a few days, 50 were captured after an extensive Nazi manhunt and were shot to death on the orders of the high command. The rest were caught and returned to prison camps.

Mr. Lewis, a graduate of the University of North Carolina, had gone off to fight in World War II more than a year before the United States entered the conflict. He told his friend, Mr. Price, that he felt strongly that ''Hitler had to be stopped,'' and enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force.

In the desperate months after France fell, he flew canvas-covered Hawker Hurricane fighters across the British Channel, and he flew in the raid on Dieppe in August of 1942, where Canadian forces suffered great casualties.

Soon after, on a mission over France, his plane was disabled by enemy fire. He managed to bring it back over the English Channel, where he crash-landed in the countryside. His Canadian superiors ordered him to stop flying because of his injuries but, eager for more adventure, he transferred to the United States Air Corps.

In addition to his son, Mr. Lewis is survived by his wife, Carolyn Stenhouse Lewis; two daughters, Millie Rostan, of Pinehurst, N.C., and Caroline Miles, of Pittsboro, N.C.; two sisters, Ellen O'Berry and Elizabeth Lewis, of Southern Pines, N.C., and nine grandchildren.

A version of this article appears in print on Aug. 13, 1999, Section A, Page 19 of the National edition with the headline: John D. Lewis, 84, Pilot in 'The Great Escape'.

---

A UNC graduate...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 am

"I don't give a FUCK about Bill Gates and I don't care if this ruins Microsoft."

Bill Gates stepped down as CEO of Microsoft many years ago. He has no role in the running of the company and most of his wealth now is not a result of his Microsoft stock. Nothing that happens to Bill Gates personally would affect Microsoft at all...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:33 am

eCat wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:23 am your chosen profession puts To Kill a Mockingbird #1 in your eyes.
I have loved it since I first saw it when I was 14 or 15.

I am sure my profession / desire to be an attorney has something to do with my love of the movie, but it's an amazing story regardless.

I know an attorney who named his son Atticus because of the movie / book.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:34 am

hedge wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 am "I don't give a FUCK about Bill Gates and I don't care if this ruins Microsoft."

Bill Gates stepped down as CEO of Microsoft many years ago. He has no role in the running of the company and most of his wealth now is not a result of his Microsoft stock. Nothing that happens to Bill Gates personally would affect Microsoft at all...
He hasn't had any role other than being a director in since the 2000's iirc, and I don't think he is a director anymore either.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:34 am

hedge wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 am "I don't give a FUCK about Bill Gates and I don't care if this ruins Microsoft."

Okay, whatever. If he fucked any of these girls when they were underage, I want him prosecuted.