Crash's NASCAR & Peyton > Cheatin' Tom Brady Regurgitation

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Crashcourse's NASCAR And Brady > Manning Thread

Post by bluetick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Hard to believe the colts are keeping him on the active roster if they have a sense that he is done for good. What would be the point?

There's very little info about his injury, really, so it's all speculation. I'll be happy if he suits up next July, rarin' to go.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Crashcourse's NASCAR And Brady > Manning Threada

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:28 pm

I would imagine that spending time with the wife and kids and being able to stand and walk without pain would be important to him. He has all the money he'll ever need.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

GBJs
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm

All the money he, his kids, their kids, their kids kids, their kids kids kids...
Worth. Every. Cent.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:44 pm

All this over a cracked egg?

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by dave_rickart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:54 am

c'mon Rat, ValNation's entire self-esteem is wrapped up in whether Purrty plays again!
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 am

I'm sorry that Peyton is injured and can't play, but I haven't thought much about it. He's already cemented his legacy, IMO. One of the greatest QBs in the history of the game. First ballot HOF'er, for sure. College and pro HOF. Years from now, people will probably look back and say that he was one of those unique players who actually changed how his position was played. Hell, this whole injury thing will probably enhance his reputation, if anything. Seeing what the Colts are like without him is about as compelling a statement as you can make about how great he is.

Truthfully, if you had told me at the end of his college career that he would have gone on to become what he has become, I wouldn't have believed it. I thought he would have a decent NFL career, but nothing like this.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:51 am

dave_rickart wrote:c'mon Rat, ValNation's entire self-esteem is wrapped up in whether Purrty plays again!
Grown man spends all this time posting pics and thinking up cutesy digs just so he can hate on some ballplayer he has no apparent connection to...say what about self-esteem?
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:07 am

Hacksaw wrote:It bears repeating: Brady goes out and the Pats carry on almost as if nothing changed. Peyton goes out and the Colts fall apart.

Throw in the statistical advantage that Peyton has and there's no real debate -- Peyton > Brady.
Well, we'll see. Patriots were 16-0 in 2007 the year before Brady got hurt and were 11-5 without him in 2008, which statistically they had the easiest schedule in the league, but still didn't make the playoffs. But, for sake of argument, let's say losing Brady cost the Patriots 5 games. Colts with Manning were 10-6 in 2010. If Colts win 5 or more games in 2011 your argument is not valid. If they lose less than 5 games than you have a point.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:36 am

sardis wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:It bears repeating: Brady goes out and the Pats carry on almost as if nothing changed. Peyton goes out and the Colts fall apart.

Throw in the statistical advantage that Peyton has and there's no real debate -- Peyton > Brady.
Well, we'll see. Patriots were 16-0 in 2007 the year before Brady got hurt and were 11-5 without him in 2008, which statistically they had the easiest schedule in the league, but still didn't make the playoffs. But, for sake of argument, let's say losing Brady cost the Patriots 5 games. Colts with Manning were 10-6 in 2010. If Colts win 5 or more games in 2011 your argument is not valid. If they lose less than 5 games than you have a point.
Wrong. Statistically, the loss of Brady cost the Patriots 1 game -- not 5. The Patriots have averaged 12 wins a season with Brady as their starter. In the one season he missed, they won 11 games. And that one season without Brady was better or equal to the result of 3 other seasons that were played with Brady as the starter. That's why I say that the Pats didn't appear to lose much when they lost Brady. They had a playoff-caliber year with the backup QB in there, which suggests that they were a pretty good team no matter who was taking the snaps.

The Colts have also averaged 12 wins a season over the course of Peyton's career (and that includes his rookie year, when they won only 3 games). So if the Colts win 11 games (or more), then I will be forced to agree that they are pretty good without him. We'll see.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:54 am

Citing the 16-0 season as representative of how much better the Pats were with Brady is exactly the sort of dishonest statisitcal evidence that people use all of the time to artificially boost Brady in comparisons to Manning.

I could just as easily point out that the Pats, with Cassell at QB, won 11 games the year Brady sat out. If Brady is so great, then why did they have FEWER WINS the next season, with Brady back as the starter?

Truthfully, using the averages over their careers isn't scientific, either, because the overall makeup of the teams changes from year-to-year. But it's a lot more honest than picking out one good year -- or one bad year, for that matter (which you might notice I haven't felt the need to do...before now).

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 pm

I will say this about Brady, though...he is off to an unbelievable start this season. He definitely seems to be getting better as his career goes on. He may even finally be getting good enough to merit some of the high praise he's been getting all of these years.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:12 pm

You're treading water

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Burn this fucking thread.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 pm

"I'm sorry that Peyton is injured and can't play, but I haven't thought much about it."

funny, bc you have definitely typed a ton of posts about it....
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 pm

When I log onto this site and I see discussion about it, I respond. Other than that, I don't give it much thought at all. Whatever limited interest I have on the subject is based solely on the fact that I'm a Tennessee fan and I take a passing interest in former Tennessee players and how they're doing in the NFL.

What's your motivation?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:44 pm

So you deny the Peyton poster above your bed?

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Is it too much to ask that we keep the homosexual stuff on the Bama thread where it belongs?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Since when does having a poster above your bed scream homosexuality? Was that a slip?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Dear Mr Hacksaw:

I did not bring homosexual jokes or innuendo to this thread. That, sir, was a Nole. When the Nole in question did so, you posted a comment that said "rimshot" (?). I merely questioned the meaning of the line.

So, in essence, revise and resubmit.

Regards,
AA
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm not here to judge, dude.