Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:01 am

Good summary of the larger meaning of Jan. 6 and the Texas abortion fiasco...

Republicans seethe with violence and lies. Texas is part of a bigger war they’re waging

This extremist vigilante abortion law is of a piece with everything else Republicans are doing: overturning democracy itself

What was the 6 January coup attempt but this practice writ large? A mountain of lies about the outcome of an election was used to whip up a vigilante mob into an attack not just on Congress but on the ratification of the election results and death threats against the vice-president and against Speaker Pelosi. The sheer berserker-style violence of it was extraordinary, the mostly middle-aged mostly white mostly men trying to gouge out eyeballs and trampling their own underfoot while screaming and spraying bear spray in the faces of those guarding the building and the elected officials within and the election.

Their leaders produced lies that instigated the violence, lies to justify that violence, lies to deny the existence of that violence, and then lies to stir up further violence. The House minority leader, Kevin McCarthy, who by his own account furiously begged Trump to call off the attackers, has since been trying to sabotage the investigation into what happened.

As the New York Times reported this week: “Representative Kevin McCarthy, the House Republican leader, has threatened to retaliate against any company that complies with the congressional committee investigating the January 6 riot, after the panel asked dozens of firms to preserve the phone and social media records of 11 far-right members of Congress who pushed to overturn the results of the 2020 election.” He is trying to prevent Congress and the public from knowing what has gone on. Which you could also call covering up a crime, in public, and his threats may themselves constitute crimes.

Madison Cawthorn, the North Carolina freshman congressman who appeared onstage on 6 January to whip up the crowd, calls the rioters “political prisoners” and continues to lie about the outcome of the 2020 election, declaring: “If our election systems continue to be rigged, continue to be stolen, it’s going to lead to one place and that’s bloodshed.” Cawthorne, like the Florida congressman Matt Gaetz, like Justices Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh, whose votes set the Texas abortion law into action on Wednesday, has been accused of sexual misconduct.

While men across the political spectrum are accused of similar wrongdoing – Andrew Cuomo’s conduct led to New York getting its first female governor last month – in the Republican case it is not an ideological inconsistency. The ideological premise is that one’s own rights matter so much that others’ rights do not matter at all, and that goes from rape to mask and vaccine policies to the proliferation of guns and gun deaths in recent years.

There is no clear way to tell if the right is emboldened because they’ve gotten away with so much in the past five years, or whether they’re increasingly desperate because they are in a wild gamble, but it seems like both at once. If the US defends its democracy, such as it is, and protects the voting rights of all eligible adults, the right will continue to be a shrinking minority. Their one chance of overturning that requires overturning democracy itself. That’s one goal they’re willing to use violence to achieve and no longer bothering to lie about.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sikGSLk93c
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:09 am

The Texas law is definitely concerning.

Its briiliant but also scarey

But all its done is create an avenue for future laws.

This idea that Democrats, progressives, liberals - whoever are better than this is bullshit. They'll follow the same path when they have the power to implement laws at the state level against conversative ideas. We see that with gun laws all over the place. The right to bear arms but you can't own an AR-15 or there are multiple hoops, fees and paperwork to own a handgun in the city limits. And what do they do when SCOTUS overrules it? They go to executive order, or more bureaucratic maneuvering to create obstacles to ownership - there is no limit to the resources they apply to limit a constitutional guarantee, yet they are screaming about constitutional rights of the woman to abort a baby being hindered.

So as always ,defense of democracy is always in the eyes of those who try to determine who democracy applies to and those it does not.

That is what bothers me most - the hypocrisy of liberals who think they are morally and intellectually better in all this while having a history of acting the same way.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:25 am

Almost anybody can easily purchase a gun. Hell, you can now open carry in Texas without a permit. But now millions of women will not only not be able to get a safe, legal abortion in Texas, but if they do they will be criminals. But you're more worried about liberal hypocrisy than a blatant scheme to circumvent 50 years of settled federal law? Man, you really hate liberals...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:38 am

Its amazing how much these political editorials have shifted away from plain cynicism aimed at the other side to outright wild paranoia.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 am

hedge wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:25 am Almost anybody can easily purchase a gun. Hell, you can now open carry in Texas without a permit. But now millions of women will not only not be able to get a safe, legal abortion in Texas, but if they do they will be criminals. But you're more worried about liberal hypocrisy than a blatant scheme to circumvent 50 years of settled federal law? Man, you really hate liberals...
Texas is not an island.

your logic for purchasing a gun can easily apply to abortion

can't buy a gun in Illinois? oh well, who cares you can go to Indiana and buy one

can't get an abortion in Texas? Abortion is legal in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado and Louisiana.

man, you really don't care about universal constitutional rights.

if people were as passionate about *ALL* constitutional rights as they were about the ones they just cared about, neither of these would be issues right now
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:04 am

eCat wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 am
hedge wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:25 am Almost anybody can easily purchase a gun. Hell, you can now open carry in Texas without a permit. But now millions of women will not only not be able to get a safe, legal abortion in Texas, but if they do they will be criminals. But you're more worried about liberal hypocrisy than a blatant scheme to circumvent 50 years of settled federal law? Man, you really hate liberals...
Texas is not an island.

your logic for purchasing a gun can easily apply to abortion

can't buy a gun in Illinois? oh well, who cares you can go to Indiana and buy one

can't get an abortion in Texas? Abortion is legal in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado and Louisiana.

man, you really don't care about universal constitutional rights.
The "if-you-cant-get-a-legal-abortion-in-your-home-state-you-will-be-forced-into-the-back-alley" argument, is the narrative that hedge was given by the DNC. He doesn't question it. He just parrots it. Your response to that in unassailable. My response would be, go away to a home for wayward girls, deliver in secrecy, and give the baby up for adoption in Texas so that couples who are infertile can adopt the baby immediately instead of being forced to import a baby from Guatamala at the cost of $50,000,
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:11 am

This law won't last long. Fuckin bible thumping parasites.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:22 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:11 am This law won't last long. Fuckin bible thumping parasites.
Well, it was already challenged in the Supreme Court and thanks ENTIRELY to Trump's appointments, it will stand in Texas. There is nothing higher than the Supreme Court in deciding the Constitutionality of secular law in the United States.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am

Just needs it's 1st court case.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:51 pm

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:15 pm

You libs need to stop being simps. Why do you listen to the bitching and moaning of feminists anyway, they grow armpit hair and munch carpet. Only men should eat pussy. Real women only want to fuck principled men who stand up to their feral behavior. Men believing in abortion is a "shit test" created by women for men. They are shit testing you to see if you tolerate their immoral antics as a way to cull the herd of the simps. If you go along with that, then their pussies dry up like the Sahara desert and they will never want to fuck you.

Be men. Tell the harpies, "no, that is not tolerated."

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am Just needs it's 1st court case.
It was decided in the Supreme Court. Its over.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm

Why couldn't it have been you instead of 10ac?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:52 pm

innocentbystander wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Not even close.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:52 pm

"This is the kind of bullshit leftist reporting that results in people refusing to believe anything that is being presented as factual."

Did that ER doctor claim he was referring to that specific hospital (Northeastern Hospital System Sequoyah, Sallisaw location)? I didn't see that in the original article. I guess a hospital in Arkansas or Alaska or anywhere else could put out a statement that he didn't work for them either and that they haven't seen any ivermectin OD's. Not sure how any of that disputes what he said or how that constitutes "bullshit leftist reporting." What hospital was he referring to? Didn't say in the "bullshit leftist reporting" that you posted...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:58 pm

I'm not saying that the doctor who claimed ivermectin OD's were clogging up ER's isn't full of shit, or even that the reporting of what he said isn't full of shit, either, just that there seems to be a disconnect b/w the article you posted and subsequent statement put out by the hospital system. Or maybe not a disconnect, but certainly not much of a connection...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:29 pm

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:27 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:52 pm
innocentbystander wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Not even close.
So you've said. We'll see.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:51 pm
I've been asked to interview with a company that would require I move to Austin.

I lived in Austin once during a housing bust and record drought. I did not enjoy it. However my house would be worth about 200K more than what I paid for it had I stayed.

My wife wants to go back. All I can think of is that power grid going down.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:26 am

Any weekend driving trip from Austin and you’re still in Texas. I was born in Texas, but not a fan of it