Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Tennessee Volunteers

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 pm

OF needs to grow some balls & leave the nest.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 pm

A Neyland Stadium crowd announced generously as 84,189 was treated — or subjected? — to:

A Neyland Stadium-record 103 points.

A staggering combined 175 offensive plays, 99 of them by Troy.

And a record-setting 1,439 yards of offense.

The final points came via Marlin Lane’s 9-yard run with 1:25 to play, followed by Michael Palardy’s PAT kick.

That broke a 48-48 tie, but on this day, the Vols were hardly home free.

Tennessee’s defense still had to get a stop — and it hadn’t gotten many all day.

Over the final 78 seconds, the defense bent a little more but it didn’t break. Troy’s fourth-down pass from the UT 40 sailed incomplete and the clock ran out.

Finally, after 41 days, Tennessee (4-5) had a victory, ending a four-game spate of losing against ranked SEC opponents.

The carnage showed Troy (4-5) with 721 yards of offense, the most ever allowed by a UT defense.

“It’s a bad defense,’’ said Dooley, “we didn’t really have an answer for anything.’’

The Vols countered with 718 yards, a school record.

Tyler Bray’s arm authored 530 of them, breaking Peyton Manning’s 1997 UT single-game passing record.
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:42 pm

TROY!

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Puter or anybody that is close to Knoxville or may have some more info. Any thoughts on this?

Seems like the demise of our football program was more political than coaching with the "changes" made. This is per Doug Matthews on 104.5

He basically said Thornton Academic center built for athletes is now being run by the academic side and athletes aren't welcome. The AD reports to the Chancelor instead of UT system president and this is supposedly for the firs time in 80 years or so. All of this changed b/c the Board of Trust is made up of political appointees from Bredesen who didn't care for UT athletics that did things to harm athletics, diverted funds, raised admission and grade standards for athletes to the highest in the SEC (I am assuming he is meaning public not private, can't see them being tougher than Vandy). Now athletics is being run by the acaedemic side and they have to report to them. Said that the reason Fulmer couldn't keep Cut was that the acaedemic side wouldn't allow him to give him a raise because the professors didn't like high paid coaches. Cut wanted a million, then Fulmer wanted Marrone or Kippy (I think) but they wouldn't pay that either. They gave him 300 grand and said hire who you can with that period.

Said that's the reason so many turned us down with the Dooley hire is because of that, they put the clamps on things, hampered the amounts allowed for salary citing POS Scumbag as the reason and that it wasn't just the roster but the fact that the boss of the coach would be the enemy of the coach, the english department. Even some reports that there is a showdown now about this whole deal with the AD and Cheek with the AD threatening to leave. No coach could win in that enviornment including The General himself.

If this is his doings it will change my opinion of Bredesen, who I thought did a pretty good job, but piss on him if he is the cause of this crap.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 pm

If they can build a 40 million dolar practice facility and put in a "club level" at Neyland, you'ld think a mil for Cut would be pocket change.
Let 'er Blow!

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 pm

That was much of the reason Gene told people he was going to his farm in Paris to spend time with his son. And then there was the DuBoseFranchioneShula shenanigans.
Worth. Every. Cent.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 am

10ac wrote:If they can build a 40 million dolar practice facility and put in a "club level" at Neyland, you'ld think a mil for Cut would be pocket change.
Yes but supposedly after they put the AD under Cheek then Cheek said he didn't want to explain big salaries to his professors so he pulled in the purse strings and basically hamstrung every coach we had. That's coming from Matthews on 104.5, verifying what the previous coaches have complained about, being hamstrung by the Acaedemic side since they were put in charge (some say intentionally in order to harm the football program).

They supposedly relaxed a little on the POS Scumbag, but then used that against the athletic department and pulled the purse strings tight again after him.

Supposedly Hart said if he couldn't make the decisions we could find a new AD(From Hubbs). Cheek is saying he has the power and the Athletic department will do what the Acaedemic departments say or else no money.

It ain't lookin good. If we do get rid of Dooley nobody in their right mind would come to a place where the bosses intent was to make the football program worse.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 am

I blame Romney.

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am

I wasn't around a TV Saturday, did they play this game in Thompson-Boling under Arena Football rules?

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 am

Bring back Doug Dickey, he'll put those academic snobs in they place.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:39 am

We can't get him out of the UF Hall Of Fame.
Let 'er Blow!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Big Orange Junky wrote:Puter or anybody that is close to Knoxville or may have some more info. Any thoughts on this?

Seems like the demise of our football program was more political than coaching with the "changes" made. This is per Doug Matthews on 104.5

He basically said Thornton Academic center built for athletes is now being run by the academic side and athletes aren't welcome. The AD reports to the Chancelor instead of UT system president and this is supposedly for the firs time in 80 years or so. All of this changed b/c the Board of Trust is made up of political appointees from Bredesen who didn't care for UT athletics that did things to harm athletics, diverted funds, raised admission and grade standards for athletes to the highest in the SEC (I am assuming he is meaning public not private, can't see them being tougher than Vandy). Now athletics is being run by the acaedemic side and they have to report to them. Said that the reason Fulmer couldn't keep Cut was that the acaedemic side wouldn't allow him to give him a raise because the professors didn't like high paid coaches. Cut wanted a million, then Fulmer wanted Marrone or Kippy (I think) but they wouldn't pay that either. They gave him 300 grand and said hire who you can with that period.

Said that's the reason so many turned us down with the Dooley hire is because of that, they put the clamps on things, hampered the amounts allowed for salary citing POS Scumbag as the reason and that it wasn't just the roster but the fact that the boss of the coach would be the enemy of the coach, the english department. Even some reports that there is a showdown now about this whole deal with the AD and Cheek with the AD threatening to leave. No coach could win in that enviornment including The General himself.

If this is his doings it will change my opinion of Bredesen, who I thought did a pretty good job, but piss on him if he is the cause of this crap.
3/4 of that is incredible bullshit. Matthews is a butt-buddy of Fulmer and he will never let Phil's firing go. The only way to have kept Cut was to make him HC...otherwise Cut was out the door to be somebodies HC. Matthews conveniently ignores the 6 years of Sanders as OC that helped lead to the demise of Phil, and would rather point to Clawson as being the reason PF is out.

Funny how the same board that supposedly wouldn't pay Cut a mil was willing to do the same for Monte Kiffin. And the academic stuff is ludicrous. The Thornton Ctr is all about athletes...our football APR is middle of the SEC pack, our GSR is toward the bottom. "Highest grade standards in the SEC" - LOL.

The decision to put the AD under the Chancellor was made last year and Haslam signed off on it.

What else..."hampered salary is why everybody turned us down"? BS - Kiffin and staff were the 3rd highest paid in the league.

I've heard a billion words on the current sorry state of our football program and nobody has ever pointed a finger at Bredesen before. But Matthews did get one thing right (accidentally, maybe) - Cheek is a pos and may be standing in the way of us making a proper change now. But it has nothing to do with Hart...Hart is just Baghdad Bob with a tan and a nice suit ("vote of confidence, all is well"). Cheek is at cross purposes with the Haslams, Hands etc. - the moneyed cabal trying to right the ship.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by KeviNole » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Big Orange Junky wrote:Seems like the demise of our football program was more political than coaching with the "changes" made. This is per Doug Matthews on 104.5
Heh - haven't heard that name in a while. Doug was a neighbor of ours when I grew up in Knoxville - small world. He was RB coach at the time I think.

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

BOJ,

Athletics was, as I recall, sepearte from the rest of the university. In fact, has been mentioned, as a source of great pride and accomplishment, the UT Sports program was 100% self funded, never took a penny from the University, and in fact gave back to the university its excess funds in the form of donations and such. Because of the sepearation of money, I was quite sure the academic side had no say so over the Athletic department. Are you saying that is no longer true?

I doubt Cut not comming here to coach had everything to do with friendship and respect to Fulmer (however misguided it was can be argued another time...) and little to do about money. As far as new coaches getting little money to come here and coach, that could have everything with the Lame Kiffin fiasco; he was here one season and bolted with a bucket load of money. It left a sour taste in everone's mouth and I'm sure they didn't want to see a repeat of that.

I'm not believing this stuff either.
Let the Jones era begin

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Well what Matthews said didn't have anything to do with Fuller and hubs seems to be confirming it (wouldn't pay for cut or other assistants for fulmer, paid for pos scumbag then used it as an excuse to not pay when dooley was hired and now saying they don't like to explain coaches salaries to pissed off professors). Go listen to the podcast and see what you think. If it were just Matthews it would be one thing but hubs is pretty straight up and his info is confirming this it appears (or it did last night when I asked you guys).

Anyway interested in your opinion after you hear the podcast.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Every time I read a BOJ post I picture this guy typing it.

Yes, I know he's a large black man

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I hope he gets a hold of you so he can break his foot off in your @ss.
Let the Jones era begin

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 pm

STOP THE RUN
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 pm

STOP...WELL...ANYTHING
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Big Orange Junky wrote:... hubs seems to be confirming it (wouldn't pay for cut or other assistants for fulmer, paid for ...
When would they not pay this amount for Cut or the other assistants? Was this while Fulmer was here and Cut was under Fulmer? I'm asking because it was well known UT didn't pay assitants much. In fact, we paid our assistants the lowest in the SEC if my memory recalls. I could be flat out wrong on that. I seem to recall some talk about getting Cut to come back. But, there was concern with his age and his heart he wouldn't/couldn't be here very long so they didn't want to offer him a whole LOT. They went after Kiffin and his assistants with a vengence, and big pay, because they were thinking they were going to get a championship. Suprise. UT got something alright. They learned from their mistake and decided the next coach and his staff needed to earn their big pay first instead of getting it up front.

Got a link to the pod cast? I'll check it out when I can.
Let the Jones era begin