Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:07 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am "so you agree with Newsom that he should be able to call out fighter jets to intimidate people protesting against Covid-19 restrictions. I'm reading that right?"

No, I'm mocking aTm, but I forgot that you never read his posts...
Who said it was Newsom? Maybe Trump ordered that jet.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 am I got pulled over a couple months ago coming home from dinner with the fambly. Definitely had had a couple of drinks but wasn't drunk, but it's possible I might've blown a .08. Anyway, I pulled over to a side street, cop comes up to my window and tells me my brake light is sticking and also that his system is showing there's an issue with my insurance. I didn't have my wallet on me, so no driver's license either. I told him I'd gotten that car a few months ago and and had transferred my insurance from my old car and clearly they issued me a new tag and registration, so there wasn't an issue with my insurance with DMV when I got it. I told him I'd had my insurance with Joe Blow (not his real name) for many years and that it was drafted directly from my bank account, so I didn't know what was going on. The cop was about my age, and about the same age as Joe Blow, who is a well-know insurance agent in town, and I figured he probably knew him, and sure enough, he said "well, you need to call Joe Monday morning and get it straight, and also get the brake light fixed." He asked me how far to the house, I told him less than a mile, he said take it in. I said thank you, sir, goodnight, and did all of the above. I do wonder how that might've gone down with a black guy in a different part of town...
no warrants, no weapons , no drugs, no attitude - I suspect it would be the same.

I think people just read way too much into this. , and ya I know, I 'm not black, I don't know what its like to be pulled over by the police for no reason except being black, etc - at the end of the day a cop doesn't want to waste his day fucking around with a guy that has a sticking brake light - unless--- that guy has a bunch of other shit that is problematic

yea I"m sure there are some police out there that would have given the black guy a hard time in that situation, thats not excusable, but its not the standard - and people need to understand that and quit listening to instigators like Lebron James
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:07 pm

I come from a LEO family (father went from TN Highway Patrol all the way to City Safety Director of Knoxville, TN). I wanted to join the TBI out of UT but needed cop experience, so I joined the Knox Co. Sheriffs Dept. The pay wasn't great, so 2 1/2 yrs later I jumped to DOE security in Oak Ridge. Got married, baby came, and I needed out of shift work. Got my insurance license and the rest etc. ...

I know cops, I'm related to cops, and I briefly was one. I didn't need the lesson on the use of deadly force - I've still got the manuals. Granted we didn't have the fancy VR simulators (those are crazy awesome btw), but the Use of Force training was top notch. The training from the feds was more on the military side (I got to shoot an M60 - an experience like no other).

The guy that was shot ten times was 50 feet away and was talking to 911 on his cordless house phone. He was talking to the dispatcher and walking towards the cop, cop shouts drop the gun and does indeed proceed to empty his clip at the victim. That's being trigger happy. Cops have to account for where the bullets go (think public safety) - fire 3 to 4 rounds at center mass and assess if you need more. There's no footage but I can't imagine the unarmed victim being a visual threat after the first few rounds. I'm going to follow the case and see what comes from it in case I missed something.

I got nothing else to do - ruptured my Achilles heel playing pickleball last week and my options are limited. Fucking pickleball.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:10 pm

bluetick wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:43 am
Now I don't know the details of the incident, but I gather there wasn't anything particularly unusual about this traffic stop
Bottom said she was driving from her home in Fulton County, Ga., to Raleigh for her great aunt’s funeral on May 30, 2019, when she noticed a police car trying to pull her over for going 80 mph in a 70 mph zone. It was around 8 p.m., and Bottom, who said that initially she didn’t notice the lights because she was listening to the music of Santana and Prince at a loud volume, was trying to find a safe area to pull over. Her fear of police also played a role in finding a safe spot to stop on Interstate 85, Bottom told The Post.

Police body-cam footage published by the Washington Post shows that within seconds of officers opening Bottom’s car door and seeing a visibly afraid elderly woman, an officer grabbed her by her arm and hair to pull her out of the car. Officers can also be seen handling her like she was a six-foot-plus grown man as she screamed in pain and terror. The footage also caught officers congratulating each other on what they had done with one officer saying, “That’s good police work, baby,” and another bragging that he grabbed a “handful of dreads,” and said, “at that point, she deserved it.”

its bad optics, I agree

at the same time, what are we asking for? that police treat people differently because of how they look? Is that the message here?

she didn't pull over - 68 year old librarian, redneck with a confederate flag on his truck, latino in a lowrider 1974 Impala, Young black male in a tinted windows Mercedes - should they treat people differently based on their profile?
A 68 year old librarian can shoot a glock just as easily as anyone else.

Now am I promoting treatment of 68 year old women like this? Absolutely not but it seems to me that her age , her sex and her occupation somehow translates into different treatment from police. The reality is if a cop did this to johnny redneck with a truck full of empty Hamms beer cans and pulled him out by his mullet, no one would give a damn. Why? because he ran from the police
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Hedges example earlier, had he not pulled over, scared he was going to get a DUI if caught or no insurance or whatever, the result would have not been friendly community banter when he eventually did pull over.

It would have been a knee on the neck situation.

How long was COPS on the air? Didn't anyone learn anything from watching that show?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 pm

"no warrants, no weapons , no drugs, no attitude - I suspect it would be the same."

No driver's license and (at least according to his report when he ran my plate) no insurance. I'm not so sure it would've been the same, but I hope so. Truth be told, he very easily could've made things way more difficult for me given the circumstances and would've been justified in doing so, but I guess I got lucky...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:42 pm

My insurance was up to date, BTW, I guess there was some glitch in the DMV computer. I called Joe Blow Monday morning and within a week I received a letter from DMV telling me everything was OK. Of course I have that letter in my glove box, just in case. Similarly, I haven't received my license plate sticker for this year yet, either (2+ months after sending payment in) but I have a copy of the cashed check and a copy of my bank statement from that month showing the transaction also in my glove box. Don't know why I'm saying "glove box," I almost always say "glove compartment." Anyone else?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:42 pm My insurance was up to date, BTW, I guess there was some glitch in the DMV computer. I called Joe Blow Monday morning and within a week I received a letter from DMV telling me everything was OK. Of course I have that letter in my glove box, just in case. Similarly, I haven't received my license plate sticker for this year yet, either (2+ months after sending payment in) but I have a copy of the cashed check and a copy of my bank statement from that month showing the transaction also in my glove box. Don't know why I'm saying "glove box," I almost always say "glove compartment." Anyone else?
but either way, yes sir, no sir, hands on the steering wheel

worry about whether its right or not with people that can do something about it *AFTER* the cop lets you go, with or without a ticket

show me a video where the black guy was yes sir, no sir, hands on the steering wheel and gets tazed or shot and if you do find one, you'll be showing me one out hundreds that didn't do that, but expect to be treated the same as those who do act properly.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:04 pm

aTm wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:18 pm I think it’s horseshit to give lawyers and judges the job of goalkeepers in charge of stopping legislatures from doing anything to investigate their own state elections under the guise of some “thou must not question the integrity of elections because that’s bad” logic.
Yeah. Fuck checks and balances.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:07 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 am Actually, I just read this happened in Salisbury. Fuck those people, that whole stretch b/w Charlotte and Lexington on I-85 needs to burn in hell. I hope she gets a billion dollars out of this...
Amen

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:10 pm

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 pm
hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:42 pm My insurance was up to date, BTW, I guess there was some glitch in the DMV computer. I called Joe Blow Monday morning and within a week I received a letter from DMV telling me everything was OK. Of course I have that letter in my glove box, just in case. Similarly, I haven't received my license plate sticker for this year yet, either (2+ months after sending payment in) but I have a copy of the cashed check and a copy of my bank statement from that month showing the transaction also in my glove box. Don't know why I'm saying "glove box," I almost always say "glove compartment." Anyone else?

worry about whether its right or not with people that can do something about it *AFTER* the cop lets you go, with or without a ticket

show me a video where the black guy was yes sir, no sir, hands on the steering wheel and gets tazed or shot and if you do find one, you'll be showing me one out hundreds that didn't do that, but expect to be treated the same as those who do act properly.
So you say glove box or glove compartment??

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

innocentbystander wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am heh

Why is we never hear reporting like this from Lester Holt, David Meir, or Nora O'Donnell?
Sky Australia is Murdoch's FauxNews for the Land Down Under...

You are a fucking dolt, and I'm glad to see you can diagnose Alzheimer's based upon news clips.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:26 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:10 pm
eCat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 pm

So you say glove box or glove compartment??
definitely glove box

glove compartment is too pretentious. People that say that actually keep gloves in there and not ketchup packets

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:31 pm

I've been pulled a time or two, and I know damn well that on more than one occasion I received the benefit of the doubt a similarly aged person of color would not have received.

I was going 89 in a 55 when I was 18 -- because I was late for dinner which was a big deal with DS Sr -- and I was let go with a warning. I know the officer knew my dad (dad had trained him 15 years prior), but had I been a young black kid, he would have tried to search the car, and I would have been in handcuffs. I have also had a couple of incidents like Hedge in that I was borderline but allowed to drive home, and I can tell you from my line of work that people of color aren't getting that benefit. Hell, there were sergeants in the Wayne County Sheriff's Department's drug "task force" posting stupid shit like "ten percent of the population commits ninety percent of the crimes so we always go after them harder" on Facebook 7-8 years ago before the stuff reached the sheriff and then subsequently deleted, and my father would be the first to admit that officers treated white folks differently on first impression.

There was a black kid in Goldsboro who was the youngest in his family and the first to graduate high school and go to college. He was the youngest of 7. Half of his siblings had pulled multiple prison sentences, but Junior was -- and is -- a good kid who worked his ass off in school, worked side jobs (we ended up using him as a runner at our firm and then doing admin tasks during the summer). Four of the attorneys in my old firm chipped in to help him with things, and I took care of his car insurance and provided a basic cell phone. One of the attorney's gave Junior his (attorney's) wife's "old" Tahoe, which was still a nice car, and Junior could be going 24 in a 25 with his seatbelt on, lights working properly, stopping for every pedestrian and listening to gospel music, but he would still get stopped for manufactured bullshit and harassed because he was a young black male driving through a poor neighborhood in a relatively nice vehicle.

It's amazing how many folks are accused of resisting and come out roughed up when body cameras and dash cams aren't present.

Also, law enforcement has a lot of fine people in its ranks, but they have a problem in that capable persons do not want to work for many agencies because pay and benefits are better elsewhere or in different fields. Until such time as we provide adequate training and adequate pay across the board, law enforcement recruiting will still be littered with the kids who were mocked as children and in high school for being Tackleberry-like weirdo's and who are now on major ego trips, especially in smaller locales.

So, yes, there is a major issue out there, and law enforcement viewing themselves as infallible is one of the biggest issues, with the other being systemic racism.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:10 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm
innocentbystander wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am heh

Why is we never hear reporting like this from Lester Holt, David Meir, or Nora O'Donnell?
Sky Australia is Murdoch's FauxNews for the Land Down Under...

You are a fucking dolt, and I'm glad to see you can diagnose Alzheimer's based upon news clips.
You are kidding DS? You don't think our President is senile? What's wrong with you? You graduated law school, start acting smart, not political.

DS, he only allowed one person to interview him before the election, one person. You know who that was, the illiterate Cardi-B. You want me to post the youtube? You really want to listen to that bullshit exchange and the softball questions? Or do you want me to post the two youtubes of his debates with POTUS Trump where he didn't even know what the hell POTUS Trump was saying half the time?

POTUS Joe Biden can not do any speaking engagements without making an ass of himself. That is because he doesn't know anything. Nothing. Not only does he not know anything, he can't think. His brain has already started to calcify, you know this right? Any medical doctor who knows a thing or to about Alzheimer's disease would diagnose the man in 30 seconds. We have not yet had our State of the Union address. Not surprising. To do so would expose how mentally broken our President is and (I fear) there would be a moral outcry for the 25th Amendment to be invoked.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:15 pm

I know the officer knew my dad (dad had trained him 15 years prior)

so same situation with the black kid, you think he gets a wreckless driving? I don't

In both instances you and Hedge are applying local community minded cops that are familiar with you, your family or a common neighbor but injecting a black kid in that scenario that is like some inner city youth from New York.

Of course that kid gets a ticket, as does the white kid from New York who doesn't know Floyd at the barber shop or was babysat by Mrs. Wilson on Walnut St. That's not white privilege, that's white community.

Lets make that a black kid that plays on the high school basketball team, his dad works at the paper mill, and his mom is the school nurse. That kid doesn't get a ticket.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 pm

when do vaccinated people say enough and stop wearing masks?

I"m thinking June 1st. Everyone who wants to be vaccinated by then has got the shot. You don't want it , fine, but I don't think anyone should wear a mask to protect you.

This is all bullshit now anyways. I'm not going to wear a mask until we they get us a "booster" shot in December.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 pm

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 pm when do vaccinated people say enough and stop wearing masks?

I"m thinking June 1st. Everyone who wants to be vaccinated by then has got the shot. You don't want it , fine, but I don't think anyone should wear a mask to protect you.

This is all bullshit now anyways. I'm not going to wear a mask until we they get us a "booster" shot in December.
I have pretty much stopped. If a business requires it, and I really want to be there patronizing them, I'll wear a mask. Otherwise, no.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:18 pm

You need to keep yours on. Virus or not.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:47 pm

Inside 100 million traffic stops: Strong Evidence of Racial Bias
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/in ... bias-n980556

Blacks aren't discriminated against as much after dark - seems it's harder to tell they're black.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"