Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:37 am

Do the repubs really want to go after Biden for verbal gaffes? Good lord..

I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:12 pm

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Sadly, they turned the comments off. I would really, really love to see what the reaction is to this ad.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:30 pm

yea, that is a high risk ad given the content.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Heh, Outkick is already passing out the conspiracy foil by linking everything back to this article over the summer.

Can the Big Ten swing a presidential election? Kevin Warren wants to find out
There’s a good chance that the next leader of the United States will emerge from voters in swing states in the Big Ten Conference’s footprint. Five states that President Donald Trump won in 2016 – Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa – were democratic states when Barack Obama won the election in 2012.

First-year Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren has made it a priority that the conference’s nearly 10,000 athletes will have a say in that election. Warren is in just his fifth month in charge of the 14-member league, and he’s made it clear with his early actions that social change will be among the league’s priorities. The Big Ten announced a league-wide voter registration initiative on Monday, which will include non-partisan education and a deeper understanding of registration, voting and voter suppression.
And of course linking it to Kevin Warren's (what seems now to have been) unilateral decision to cancel the Big Ten season, this new Joe Biden ad blaming Trump for that outcome, and the seeming reversal of course since by the Big Ten to maybe start playing, but only after the election.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:19 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:40 am I reject the notion that nationalism is racist

I can see where some racists groups felt enabled by the idea of nationalism but that is a by product of Trump, not an intent. The liberal narrative turned nationalism into some white supremacy thing because they realized they were losing on nationalism versus globalism. Its not like white supremacists groups are going to gravitate to the Democratic party. Especially when they are outwardly supporting racial based groups like BLM.

Nationalism isn't racist, its why more African Americans and Latinos were employed prior to Covid-19, the idea that as a nation we reject one sided trade agreements, America punishes corporations that move manufacturing offshore and reward companies that bring it back. It also focuses heavily on immigration control and forcing countries to address their own problems instead of dumping immigrants into our country - again displacing unskilled labor and lowering wages - both of which hurt African Americans and American Latinos the most.

Nationalism was already gaining ground prior to Trumps election globally but its not hard to see that people all over the world were fed up with globalism.

Its a weak minded narrative to look past that and just tie it to white supremacy, especially when the middle and upper classes were the least likely to directly benefit from it.
Nationalism is basically an "us vs them" mentality, typically complete with fearmongering, incitement to violence, etc. Even if you refuse to see Trump's obvious dog whistling to white supremacist groups (through both rhetoric and policy) in what world are you living in where his nationalism is in any way inclusive of blacks and browns in 'murica?
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:01 pm

I pretty much explained it in my answer.

controlling immigration means higher wages and more job opportunities for American citizens, and by far that impacts African Americans and Latinos the most.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:28 pm

I'm pretty sure "Trump is racist" is a thing because that is the most effective political counterpoint to someone who is against open borders.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Then why isn't anybody saying Biden is a racist? Or almost any other elected democratic official?

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Many do say Biden is a racist

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Not b/c he is against open borders...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:01 pm

that's the real beauty of nationalism

its truly color blind.

If you are an American citizen you benefit, if you aren't an American citizen (an that is where the real Trump is racist thing came from) then you're left with the leftover scraps tossed over the border wall.

When a meat factory in Nebraska that was paying $7.25 an hour to illegal immigrants suddenly finds itself with a shortage of workers, it has to increase the salary to attract able bodied American workers. Its a trickle up situation where their hiring increase create gaps in other areas - and worker demand increases job opportunities and wages for all workers. Especially those who skill sets were no better than an illegal immigrant, but couldn't work at the poverty wages that someone from a third world country would gladly accept.

That is Nationalism.

Globalism is AOC saying that we should fill the USA up with Guatemalans because cartel gangs are taking over the country. Yes, its a sad story, but Nationalism demands we take care of our own and are not apologetic about increasing the standard of living for all of our residents. Guatemala has an obligation to take care of its residents, to create the best standard of living it can (within its own borders) at the expense of every other nation on the earth. We have no such obligation to Guatemala. People with a similar heritage believe we do, that our melting pot mantra extends to lowering our standard of living in a world where 70% of the population earns less than $10 a day.

People are demanding $15 an hour wage in this country. In a capitalistic society, you aren't going to get that if you have open borders flooding the country with immigrants willing to work for literally half that. Nationalism is the natural, free market approach to maximizing workers wages. Supply and demand has to support that wage.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 pm

I mean, he's obviously against open borders, like almost every other elected official (certainly at the federal level and probably even moreso at the local level), but nobody is accusing him of racism b/c of that. I'm sure anybody can pull up almost anything against anybody and turn it into a racist talking point, but open borders isn't one of them with regard to Biden's ostensible racism...

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:10 pm

hedge wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:00 pm Not b/c he is against open borders...
No, but many do to score political points in other ways

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm

" We have no such obligation to Guatemala."

It's not about obligation, it's about self-interest. If we invested 1% of what we've spent on this covid bullshit into Central America, those countries would be built up and the people there would want to stay. But some people get their goddamn assholes into such a pucker about "giving" money to other countries that they can't see how that's actually the cheapest and best way for us to look after ourselves. But the fact is nobody wants to do the jobs that those people do, which is exactly why we aren't helping them make their own countries better, b/c we need them to stay shitholes so we can rape them for their labor...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:15 pm

I mean, why do we have an obligation to Kentucky? We pump billions into that shithole every year and nothing changes. Never will...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 pm

hedge wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm " We have no such obligation to Guatemala."

It's not about obligation, it's about self-interest. If we invested 1% of what we've spent on this covid bullshit into Central America, those countries would be built up and the people there would want to stay. But some people get their goddamn assholes into such a pucker about "giving" money to other countries that they can't see how that's actually the cheapest and best way for us to look after ourselves. But the fact is nobody wants to do the jobs that those people do, which is exactly why we aren't helping them make their own countries better, b/c we need them to stay shitholes so we can rape them for their labor...
you're talking about something different

monetary aid, trade, education , helping them grow as a country and move out of 3rd world poverty - all self interest

mass importing their impoverished to become Americans ? not in our self interest

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:21 pm

he didn't see this coming

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:47 pm

BURN IT ALL!!

IT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS.

Fools. Love the this is Bidens fault ads