Florida State Seminoles

Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by KeviNole » Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm

It's not about sharing equally, doofus. It's about staying competitive with the teams in our backyard from (an)other conference(s). Can you not see how hard it will be to be competitive with Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. when they're raking in $10M+ more per year than we are? We just ran a $3M deficit, and it's not like we're spending a ton of money on extravagant crap (IPF possibly excepted). How do you expect us to keep good coaches and keep recruiting good players when rivals can offer the coaches twice their salary and players can choose to play on national TV every week as opposed to the Raycom regional game of the week?

We get it - BC doesn't care. That's fine, and in some respects it's admirable. But we are, for good or bad, a state university and a football school without a huge endowment nor great research tradition. We are what we are, so we have to go where we can keep being that way.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't agree that it was all bluff. The Pac-XX always has been a popular landing spot among multiple levels of the Texas community including not only the athletic department, but the fans, and especially the academic side. I grant you that eventually a compromise was handed out to Texas, Oklahoma, and A&M to keep the conference together, but I think the biggest panicking partner were the TV networks (ESPN in particular) who even agreed not to alter the Big 12 TV contract despite the smaller conference and loss of the championship game, to avoid losing their key Big 12 matchups to the Pac and Fox, and avoid a scenario where their deals with the ACC and SEC would also need to be reworked due to expansion. Of course, it seems like ESPN failed miserably in their goals, while also managing to dump a shitload of money on Texas for a network with zero viewership. Its not clear to me that Texas put any kind of smoke screen on their conference mates, but they worked over ESPN pretty good.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon May 21, 2012 4:37 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
KeviNole wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:Right now Hedge, we've got 'em by the balls
You are truly clueless.
We DO have you by the ball, but this is only temporary. As soon as you have another offer, we're fucked Kevin.

You'll get your money. Rest assured, we'll pay you just to get you to stay. You won't have to share equally anymore.
You must perceive that your grip is loosening. In the first quote you say we have them by the balls, but in the second one, you say we have them by the ball. What next, the scrotal skin?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 4:51 pm

KeviNole wrote:It's not about sharing equally, doofus.
That is exactly what it is about, because the $3,000,000,000 we got from ESPN, that was all that the ACC would ever be worth with so many teeny-tiny private universities in it. You are just pissed that you have to share equally with them.
KeviNole wrote:It's about staying competitive with the teams in our backyard from (an)other conference(s). Can you not see how hard it will be to be competitive with Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. when they're raking in $10M+ more per year than we are? We just ran a $3M deficit, and it's not like we're spending a ton of money on extravagant crap (IPF possibly excepted). How do you expect us to keep good coaches and keep recruiting good players when rivals can offer the coaches twice their salary and players can choose to play on national TV every week as opposed to the Raycom regional game of the week?

We get it - BC doesn't care. That's fine, and in some respects it's admirable. But we are, for good or bad, a state university and a football school without a huge endowment nor great research tradition. We are what we are, so we have to go where we can keep being that way.
Great.

So Wake, BC, UNC, NCState, Maryland, VPI, UVa, Dook, Miami, and Georgia Tech, will each give up a million or so, so F$U can keep up wiht the teams in our backyard from (an)other conference(s). I don't have a problem with that. That is probably what will have to happen if you do have an actual offer from someone.

You don't have that offer yet doofus. So we aren't going to give you MORE than what we have to until we are forced to....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 4:54 pm

aTm wrote:I don't agree that it was all bluff. The Pac-XX always has been a popular landing spot among multiple levels of the Texas community including not only the athletic department, but the fans, and especially the academic side. I grant you that eventually a compromise was handed out to Texas, Oklahoma, and A&M to keep the conference together, but I think the biggest panicking partner were the TV networks (ESPN in particular) who even agreed not to alter the Big 12 TV contract despite the smaller conference and loss of the championship game, to avoid losing their key Big 12 matchups to the Pac and Fox, and avoid a scenario where their deals with the ACC and SEC would also need to be reworked due to expansion. Of course, it seems like ESPN failed miserably in their goals, while also managing to dump a shitload of money on Texas for a network with zero viewership. Its not clear to me that Texas put any kind of smoke screen on their conference mates, but they worked over ESPN pretty good.
They worked over Mizzou, KState, Kansas, Baylor, and Iowa State even better. It absolutely was a bluff. There was ZERO CHANCE that Texas was ever sharing equally with Oregon State, CAL, Wazzou, or Arizona. That was not going to happen no matter how much you think Texas was being genuine.

The Longhorns used the Pac-10. That is all that was.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I think IB has depression issues.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:I think IB has depression issues.
You think I have depression issues now. Wait until BC has to disband its football team because it gets locked out of a conference that can give it any kind of money from tv broadcasting rights.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue May 22, 2012 1:27 am

Welcome to the A-10

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 am

The ACC looks like it is about to start its death throes. I just hope that Carolina's leadership is proactive and not pigheaded, but that's not going to happen.

[desperation]So, does the Big 10 want to expand south? [/desperation]
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 am

The somewhat ironic thing about this whole situation is that the one thing FSU covets (an SEC invitation) will end up going to UNC or NCSU, and Virginia Tech or Maryland, as that gives the SEC reach into regions they don't currently have. UNC would be a good fit for the B1G but do they want to go that far south?

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 pm

The idiots that picked the ACC over the SEC back in 91 or whenever - should all be lined up and horse whipped.

Nice call guys!!!!

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 pm

You still had your feelings hurt from the turn downs in the 1980's.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Fri May 25, 2012 2:56 pm

There is some truth to that - some of the powers that be acted like a spurned lover.

So they didnt want us in 85 - who cares? man up and join now

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Tue May 29, 2012 7:45 am

"the same world where BC was #2 on the BCS poll as late as November 1st 2007."

same world where you subsequently lost three games in the next 30 days?
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Obviously not...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:50 am

dave_rickart wrote:"the same world where BC was #2 on the BCS poll as late as November 1st 2007."

same world where you subsequently lost three games in the next 30 days?
But we had reason to HOPE!!!! Which is MORE than anyone could ever say at anytime at UVa.

I'm still pissed you guys couldn't keep VPI out of Jax in 2007. That was YOUR responsibility that year. You had the best defensive linemen UVa has ever had, and you barfed up a lung against the chokies.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:38 pm

it's our responsibility that you couldn't beat the cHokies in the ACC title game? um, what?

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Forget it, he's rolling...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 am

dave_rickart wrote:it's our responsibility that you couldn't beat the cHokies in the ACC title game? um, what?
no David.

It was the responsibility of UVa to beat VPI in 2007 so that BC could have played UVa and NOT VPI in Jax in early December, 2007. I forgot that UVa is functionally incapable of defeating VPI in football.

DS,

Don't talk to me. I'm still pissed that UNC lost in the tourney. You crushed my bracket and let the 3 Kentucky freshmen win. Shame on you guys.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 am

it's our responsibility to make sure you don't have to play the cHokies..... because you are scared of them? incapable of beating them? WTF?

(still unclear how that relates to a team which lost three games in the same month somehow being on course for a national championship...)