Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:12 pm

I wonder if Michael Jordan would be interested in the job? Doubt he can coach, but I bet we'd get the top 5 recruits in the class for a few years...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:26 pm

Hasn't helped getting free agents to the Hornets

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:28 pm

I don't think you're getting anyone to leap from the NBA to coach college right now, considering the state it is in.

I do wonder why Roy left. He was not bad and other than goldie there didn't seem to be a groundswell of fans wanting him gone.

Must be health or he is just sick of what the NCAA has become.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:06 pm

I think he sees what is going to happen with college basketball with the NCAA and the transfer portal
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm sure any number of conspiracy theories have been contemplated and floated, and this may be one, but in the "my friend's brother-in-law's friend who is in the Ram's Club" category, I did just get a text that said he's got cancer and they're going to start stronger treatments. Hope that's not true, but certainly will be known sooner rather than later if it is or not...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:10 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:18 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:07 pm I'm sure any number of conspiracy theories have been contemplated and floated, and this may be one, but in the "my friend's brother-in-law's friend who is in the Ram's Club" category, I did just get a text that said he's got cancer and they're going to start stronger treatments. Hope that's not true, but certainly will be known sooner rather than later if it is or not...
well safe to say no one wants that.

Roy is a bit of punching bag to opposing fans but he's a good guy
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm

It's been a good run as a Carolina fan. My whole life it's been either Dean or Roy, and 3 years of Gut (but even Gut got to 2 FF's in those 3 years) and the only really bad years being the 3 with Doh, although even his first year wasn't terrible. There were a couple of down years as far as the play on the court, but they were few and far between. Other fans may think it's hokey or whatever, but there's been a continuity to Carolina basketball for my whole life that's coming to an end now. It's sad.

This is almost as bad as when Jerry died. Carolina basketball really is kinda like being a Deadhead to me. It's something that people who aren't Deadheads or Carolina fans really don't get, but it's something that's an important part of your life. Very important. Fundamental, even. I understand that UK fans get it to a degree, as far as being hoops fans, but it's still different. I don't think any other college program besides UK and Carolina (maybe Kansas) feels that way about their program. Maybe Indiana fans, but they've sucked for years and I'm scared that with Roy leaving we might fall into the same hole as they did after Bobby Knight left.

Duke is the only other school in my lifetime that compares (besides UK and Kansas), and even though I respect their program and the rivalry and even respect K, their fans don't really care about the program, not like Carolina, UK and Kansas fans do. And I know I'll get sass for this, but I do think Carolina is different even from UK and Kansas, at least in my lifetime. It's basically been 2 guys, Dean and Roy, not hired guns who maybe won a bunch of games for a few years and then moved on, but two guy who truly cared about and gave their lives to the program and the school for the past 60 years and really Dean and Roy are the same person practically. 60 fucking years. I don't know what's next, but it'll never be the same. Sad day......

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:48 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm It's been a good run as a Carolina fan. My whole life it's been either Dean or Roy, and 3 years of Gut (but even Gut got to 2 FF's in those 3 years) and the only really bad years being the 3 with Doh, although even his first year wasn't terrible. There were a couple of down years as far as the play on the court, but they were few and far between. Other fans may think it's hokey or whatever, but there's been a continuity to Carolina basketball for my whole life that's coming to an end now. It's sad.

This is almost as bad as when Jerry died. Carolina basketball really is kinda like being a Deadhead to me. It's something that people who aren't Deadheads or Carolina fans really don't get, but it's something that's an important part of your life. Very important. Fundamental, even. I understand that UK fans get it to a degree, as far as being hoops fans, but it's still different. I don't think any other college program besides UK and Carolina (maybe Kansas) feels that way about their program. Maybe Indiana fans, but they've sucked for years and I'm scared that with Roy leaving we might fall into the same hole as they did after Bobby Knight left.

Duke is the only other school in my lifetime that compares (besides UK and Kansas), and even though I respect their program and the rivalry and even respect K, their fans don't really care about the program, not like Carolina, UK and Kansas fans do. And I know I'll get sass for this, but I do think Carolina is different even from UK and Kansas, at least in my lifetime. It's basically been 2 guys, Dean and Roy, not hired guns who maybe won a bunch of games for a few years and then moved on, but two guy who truly cared about and gave their lives to the program and the school for the past 60 years and really Dean and Roy are the same person practically. 60 fucking years. I don't know what's next, but it'll never be the same. Sad day......
That was nice Hedge.

I would only add the the ridiculous fan support also exists on the West Coast for a couple programs: Arizona and Gonzaga. I would put their support on par with what Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, and Kansas have.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm

I'd love Mark Few to be our next coach, he gets it, but that's precisely why I doubt he'd leave Gonzaga..

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:57 pm

Hedge. Boo fucking hoo

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:23 pm

From UNC AD PC:

* Bubba: "I believe we've got the best job in college basketball."

* Job doesn't come open often and so due diligence needs to be done to find the appropriate fit.

* No search committee. Only Bubba and the chancellor currently. Plenty of help coming from UNC people in the industry. Recommendations will then be made to the BOT.

* Wants to proceed as quickly as possible due to transfer portal, etc. Emphasis on getting it right. "Soon."

* Roy Williams has already shared his opinions on the search. Those exchanges will continue.

* Preference is to hire people who have done it before, but that's not a requirement. Lot of different qualifications for the job.

* Learned on Sunday, but didn't feel it was appropriate to start the process until Roy told his players. Didn't tell his wife until yesterday.

* Not one to keep a written list of potential candidates, but keeps up with the college basketball world, so acknowledges there's a relatively narrow list of options.

* No requirement to hire somebody within the Carolina family. "We're going to pursue championships" and whoever is best to meet that objective will be the choice.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:25 pm

UNC = Next Indiana

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:57 pm Hedge. Boo fucking hoo
Yeah, I know you don't get it, Rat. Cincinnati fan? Woo hoo. Florida?? Same. Pro baseball? Those fuckers don't care about you or anything else but themselves. Van Halen? Same. Enjoy rooting for teams and bands that don't give a flying fuck about you. Appropriately, you really don't give a fuck about them either. Perfect match...

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:38 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 pm
Yeah, I know you don't get it, Rat. Cincinnati fan? Woo hoo. Florida?? Same. Pro baseball? Those fuckers don't care about you or anything else but themselves. Van Halen? Same. Enjoy rooting for teams and bands that don't give a flying fuck about you. Appropriately, you really don't give a fuck about them either. Perfect match...
I'm no Grateful Dead fan, but I totally got your post. Well said, Heel Brother.

It really hit me today, seeing Coach Williams looking so old. I'm 53, so Roy was was younger than I am now when he accepted the Carolina job in 2003. Time is warping by...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Want some cheese?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:31 am

THE MAUI BRACKETS ARE OUT!!
THE MAUI BRACKETS ARE OUT!!

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 am

For Rat to equate the despondency, you would have to reference Marge Shott's death.

goldenbear
Senior

Post by goldenbear » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 am

Roy is a great coach and even a better man but it is time, time to move forward , and I think his health is not great.

goldenbear
Senior

Post by goldenbear » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:31 am

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm I'm a bit more sanguine about Hubert. I think our potential recruits, who, let's face it, the majority of whom are black, can relate to Hubie better than some old white guy, and by old I mean anybody over 50. And he's got NBA experience, which I think does carry some clout. Not sure if he's up for the job or not, I'm sure Roy will discreetly let it be known if he thinks so or not, which will probably seal the deal in either direction...
yup I want it to be Davis and the fact he had a 12 year career in the league helps