Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Owlman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:03 am

Islamists with several terrorist attacks in Oslo. Car bomb kills at least 7. Another 4 killed by a gunman at a youth camp
Really???

Maybe not!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/norway-horror-80- ... 06287.html
A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work."

My Dad is my hero still.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by TheBigMook » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:07 am

Let 'em go. They're on a roll.
THE OG SSG

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 am

Now they are seeing he was a right wing extremist. OK, can't wait for the folks in here to start making sarcastic comments about how they are misunderstood and that all conservatives should all be nuked. Waiting....
THE OG SSG

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 am

Let me guess: He is also suspected to be a fundamentalist Christian like Timothy McVeigh was.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:26 am

Sons of bitches! How dare they slander peaceful Muslim organizations?

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:28 am

I guess arabs will have to murder some women and children as compensation for this slight. And rightfully so.
Let 'er Blow!

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:32 am

Yeah seems I spoke too soon. They originally were saying the bombing and shooting were connected.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:34 am

"They"? No no, it was DSL and you jumped on his post like a starved dog who'd been tossed a bone. It was your precious.
THE OG SSG

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:36 am

Last I saw they still were saying that, it was the same right winger who set the bomb off earlier then posed as a cop at the camp saying he was doing a security sweep because of the bombings. I'll give you neo-nazis that, you can be some devious mother fuckers when it comes to killin.
THE OG SSG

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:48 am

Professor Tiger wrote:He said,
I can tell you that today the impediments that the government imposes are impossible to deal with. Home Depot would never have succeeded if we'd tried to start it today.
http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysi ... n-Jobs.htm
So he did NOT say that it is impossible for businesses to make money. Thanks for the clarification.

That quote also answers the question of why he was commenting on the difficulty of the current business climate, even though Home Depot is a successful company. His point seems to be that Home Depot would not succeed, if it was starting today as a new venture.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:58 am

I'm sure the distinction you came up with is very significant to you.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:10 am

Yeah, the whole truth thingy.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:12 am

Professor Tiger wrote:I'm sure the distinction you came up with is very significant to you.

You mean what he actually friggin said? It's EXACTLY what the hd CEO said.

See the disconnect is pt and tick just assume that a CEO like this can't care about anything but there stock options. That it's impossible for a CEO to care about anything but themselves.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:22 am

Charles Krauthammer: Obama At His Most Sanctimonious

KRAUTHAMMER: This is Obama at his most sanctimonious, demagogic, self-righteous and arrogant. And given the baseline it wasn't a pretty sight. Look, he started out by summoning the leaders of Congress -- summoning them -- at 11:00. Who does he think he is? In the American system, the executive and Congress are coequal. In a banana republic, the caudillo will summon the members of the Congress. The way he demanded their appearance in the Oval Office I thought was disgraceful. The branches are coequal.

Second, on this issue he said "We have set forth a plan." He has set forth nothing. Nor has the Democratic controlled Senate. The Republicans offered a detailed plan. The Ryan plan in the House, and they offered Cut, Cap and Balance this time around. The President has offered nothing except he says if you go in the back room now my staff will give you a tick-tock of everything I'm supposed to have given. He has never once spoken about real cuts.

And lastly, what was interesting is even at this late date where he says that the fate of the republic hangs on the debt ceiling extension, he said if given a short extension of, say, half a year I won't except it. Why? because he says I want this to go past election day. That is entirely self-serving and political, and he pretends he's the one who's not interested in politics.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:25 am

Did I call this or what?
Professor Tiger wrote:Let me guess: He is also suspected to be a fundamentalist Christian like Timothy McVeigh was.
CNN says in
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07 ... ?hpt=hp_t1
A picture is emerging, gleaned from official sources and social media, of a right-wing Christian fundamentalist who may have had an issue with Norway's multi-cultural society.
But the same article indicates he is also a neo-nazi. An example:
His membership was confirmed by a senior party member, Jonas Kallmyr, who is quoted by VG as saying that encountering Breivik was "like meeting Hitler before World War II."
So, thus far, he is both a neo-nazi and a Christian fundamentalist, just like Timothy McVeigh. I guess both blew up buildings because they hoped that the Christian God would give them 72 St. Pauli girls in paradise.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:27 am

puterbac wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:I'm sure the distinction you came up with is very significant to you.

You mean what he actually friggin said? It's EXACTLY what the hd CEO said.

See the disconnect is pt and tick just assume that a CEO like this can't care about anything but there stock options. That it's impossible for a CEO to care about anything but themselves.
Taking what he actually said and changing it to "no companies can make money right now because of Obama" is a tactic. It sets them up to score easy points by only having to find ONE company out there that is making money. If you really believe that he was trying to make the point that there are ZERO businesses out there right now that are making money, then you are wrong.

I do understand that it's easier to feel like you're winning the debate if you purposely mischaracterize arguments made by the other side. The guy's point was that there are things government can do that make it easier for businesses to succeed (i.e., improve the economy) and things it can do to make things more difficult. And right now, in his view, the current administration is making things more difficult. He's in a position to be considered something of an authority on the subject, so it's important (for those who want to fool themselves into believing Obama is doing a great job) that they purposely twist his meaning into something that can be easily dismissed.

It's stupid and childish, but hey...not surprising, right?

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:29 am

To liberals like those in the news media and some of our friends here, a "conservative Christian" and a nazi are the same thing. Another example of keeping things easy for themselves so they don't have to strain their brains too much.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:37 am

Boehner runs laps around Obama, again
Text Size PrintE-mailReprints
By Jennifer Rubin, Published: July 22
He’s been ridiculed by the media. Liberal spinners say he has lost control over the Tea Party. But in fact the Speaker of the House Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) had a plan, stuck to it, and is likely to get much of what he wants.

In a remarkable press conference revealed that he had a deal with the White House on large debt reduction and $800 billion in additional revenue to be achieved through tax reform and enhanced enforcement. Boehner brought out his “Jell-O” analogy once again to describe the White House. He said bluntly, “It’s the president who walked away from his agreement and demanded more money at the last minute.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs-and ... _page.html

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by GBJs » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:38 am

Makes sense companies like HD, Lowes, etc...are making money right now. Auto parts stores also. I'd like a new truck but I absolutely refuse to buy one right now.

How are the home BUILDERS doing?
Worth. Every. Cent.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:39 am

Mark Steyn: Obama the man without a plan

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/auste ... -debt.html