Florida State Seminoles

Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by KeviNole » Sun May 20, 2012 6:10 pm

FSU to the Big 12 is inevitable - http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/fsu- ... nevitable/
Florida State will receive substantial financial help from the Big 12 in their exit fee from the ACC. Look for FSU to receive a similar deal that WVU received last year from the Big 12. FSU will be given anywhere from 10 - 14 million dollars towards the 20 million dollar exit fee. Much of this money will come from the exit fees the Big 12 received from Texas A&M and Missouri's departure. It is very likely that FSU will additionally then be loaned somewhere in the area of 3 - 5 million dollars from the Big 12. FSU's AD department will be responsible for the remainder of the costs associated with the departure from the ACC. FSU has boosters that have already pledged the money towards the remaining fees that are not covered by the Big 12.
You were saying, IB?

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Sun May 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh, and I think this quote really says it all:
John Swofford took over as commissioner of the ACC in 1997. At that time, the ACC had the richest media rights deal in college athletics and the crown jewel of the college sports world in many peoples opinion was the ACC Basketball tournament. 15 years later Swofford faces the fight of his life to keep his league relevant in a rapidly changing world of college athletics.
Just fucking awful. Nice job, Swofford, nice job. But you'll enjoy that box seat at the ACC hoops tourney, won't you?

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Sun May 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Dammit! You guys belong in the SEC. Oh well...
Let 'er Blow!

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Sun May 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Agreed, and we would jump in a second. But you already have UF and the SEC seems to be about TV market reach now - which is why you'll end up with NCSU or UNC, and probably Virginia Trendy.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 1:18 am

KeviNole wrote:FSU to the Big 12 is inevitable - http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/fsu- ... nevitable/
Florida State will receive substantial financial help from the Big 12 in their exit fee from the ACC. Look for FSU to receive a similar deal that WVU received last year from the Big 12. FSU will be given anywhere from 10 - 14 million dollars towards the 20 million dollar exit fee. Much of this money will come from the exit fees the Big 12 received from Texas A&M and Missouri's departure. It is very likely that FSU will additionally then be loaned somewhere in the area of 3 - 5 million dollars from the Big 12. FSU's AD department will be responsible for the remainder of the costs associated with the departure from the ACC. FSU has boosters that have already pledged the money towards the remaining fees that are not covered by the Big 12.
You were saying, IB?
I'll say now what I'm saying before, all this is, is talk. Talk is cheap. Get back to me when you have an actual deal on the table. Oh, and if that deal doesn't mean that you are making MORE money than you are making now ($17,000,000) then you aren't going anywhere.

You don't have an offer.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 1:21 am

KeviNole wrote:Oh, and I think this quote really says it all:
John Swofford took over as commissioner of the ACC in 1997. At that time, the ACC had the richest media rights deal in college athletics and the crown jewel of the college sports world in many peoples opinion was the ACC Basketball tournament. 15 years later Swofford faces the fight of his life to keep his league relevant in a rapidly changing world of college athletics.
Just fucking awful. Nice job, Swofford, nice job. But you'll enjoy that box seat at the ACC hoops tourney, won't you?
That is FSU's fault. You haven't won the ACC a national championship since 1999. And then, you went and knocked BC off in 2007 (the last time the ACC actually had a real legit shot at not only going to the ACC Championship, but winning it.) That win for you in Chestnut Hill in 2007, was the biggest football win FSU has had since you won the BCS in 2000.

You are living in the past.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 am

"You are in a conference with three really small private universities that (each) have under 200,000 living alumni at any one time."

I wish BC had one less living alumnus...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am

innocentbystander wrote:And then, you went and knocked BC off in 2007 (the last time the ACC actually had a real legit shot at not only going to the ACC Championship, but winning it.) That win for you in Chestnut Hill in 2007, was the biggest football win FSU has had since you won the BCS in 2000.

That 2007 BC team lost 3 games...they weren't going to sniff a MNC even if they'd beaten FSU.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

KeviNole wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:And then, you went and knocked BC off in 2007 (the last time the ACC actually had a real legit shot at not only going to the ACC Championship, but winning it.) That win for you in Chestnut Hill in 2007, was the biggest football win FSU has had since you won the BCS in 2000.

That 2007 BC team lost 3 games...they weren't going to sniff a MNC even if they'd beaten FSU.
An 11-1 BC (provided it doesn't fuck up againt VPI in Jax the way we did) beats Ohio State in the MNC in January of 2008. Matt Ryan would have seen to that.

By the by, over at our forum, everyone seems to think that you guys are gone-zo. When you get the deal on the table, I'll be in, but not before...

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... =4&t=11805

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by dave_rickart » Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm

what color is the sky in your world, IB?
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon May 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey, if Texas can start their own successful network, why should the rest of the conference hold their hands out?
Texas has a successful network?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Mon May 21, 2012 12:59 pm

aTm wrote:
Hey, if Texas can start their own successful network, why should the rest of the conference hold their hands out?
Texas has a successful network?
Not yet, but the possibility seems to have everyone in a tizzy.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

dave_rickart wrote:what color is the sky in your world, IB?
The color of blue, the same world where BC was #2 on the BCS poll as late as November 1st 2007.

You remember that don't you Dave, it was the last time an ACC team was ranked that high this late in the season for almost 12 years.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon May 21, 2012 3:01 pm

"By the by, over at our forum, everyone seems to think that you guys are gone-zo. When you get the deal on the table, I'll be in, but not before..."

You'll agree that FSU is gone when they have a deal on the table? Wow, you're really going out on a limb on that one....
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 3:20 pm

hedge wrote:"By the by, over at our forum, everyone seems to think that you guys are gone-zo. When you get the deal on the table, I'll be in, but not before..."

You'll agree that FSU is gone when they have a deal on the table? Wow, you're really going out on a limb on that one....
Hedge,

Texas had a deal to go to the Pac-10. Texas did not leave the Big-XII. They just used that offer/invite as a way to extort even more money from Iowa State/Mizzou/Kansas/K-State and Baylor. Good for Texas, they bluffed and weren't called.

I think FSU is trying to do the same thing but the have much less clout than Texas and no bargaining power yet since they don't have an offer yet. They aren't dealing from a position of strength. That said, I think it would behoove Swofford if he went and had the Presidents call an emergency meeting and change the ACC bylaws and give a much larger share than one-twelveth to FSU. Why should they be forced to share equally with Wake, Duke, BC, and UVa? Right now Hedge, we've got 'em by the balls and I get to say ha-ha Kevinole and fuck you. But how long will that last?

Just give them the money.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm

They just used that offer/invite as a way to extort even more money from Iowa State/Mizzou/Kansas/K-State and Baylor. Good for Texas, they bluffed and weren't called.
Texas worked out a deal to go to the Pac-10 in 2010 on behalf of the entire Big 12 South which did not work out for them because Texas A&M, Colorado, and Baylor threw wrenches into that plan.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 21, 2012 3:40 pm

In 2011 Texas never had an offer for the Pac 12 because the Pac requires rights for their network and Texas' rights were by that point owned by ESPN/LHN

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Mon May 21, 2012 4:06 pm

innocentbystander wrote:Right now Hedge, we've got 'em by the balls
You are truly clueless.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 4:11 pm

aTm wrote:
They just used that offer/invite as a way to extort even more money from Iowa State/Mizzou/Kansas/K-State and Baylor. Good for Texas, they bluffed and weren't called.
Texas worked out a deal to go to the Pac-10 in 2010 on behalf of the entire Big 12 South which did not work out for them because Texas A&M, Colorado, and Baylor threw wrenches into that plan.
lets get one thing straight aTm....

Texas was never going to join the Pac-10/12/16/xx given the Pac-10 bylaw that all tv and bowl revenues generated by the conference will be shared equally. That was not going to happen. No fucking WAY do the Longhorns share equally with Oregon State, Wazzou, CAL, or Arizona. You are high on crack if you think they ever would. Texas USED the invite simply to extort more money from Baylor, K-State, Kansas, Iowa State, and Mizzou, all who would have agreed to ANYTHING to keep the conference in existance.

The deal didn't blow up because of A&M and Colorado. Colorado is IN the Pac-12 now. And CAL absolutely positively would have accepted Baylor, if they Texas in the deal. But Texas had other plans in mind.

Texas ran a bluff, and they weren't called. Simple as that.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 pm

KeviNole wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:Right now Hedge, we've got 'em by the balls
You are truly clueless.
We DO have you by the ball, but this is only temporary. As soon as you have another offer, we're fucked Kevin.

You'll get your money. Rest assured, we'll pay you just to get you to stay. You won't have to share equally anymore.