Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: North Carolina Tar Heels

Post by AugustWest » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Owlman wrote:it was talking about academic advisor Carey. That's what my question was about.
as I understand it, and believe me I'm no expert, any contact between an agent and an underclass student athlete is a violation so if a soph football player took his class it's a violation. if a soph football player talks to him in the hall it's a violation. as far as I know the only athlete to take his class was a female olympic athlete so no classroom violations, however the guys salary for teaching this class was less than his rent for the same time period so he must have been getting something out of his time. also this guy was Robert Quinn's agent while he was teaching a class while Quinn was still on scholarship after being kicked off the team. he loaned Quinn $300k and is now sueing Robert because Rob dropped him as his agent just before the draft.

was using this guy as a teacher a violation? I have no idea but with unc being in the midst of a huge agent scandel having an agent on campus and teaching certainly doesnt look good. keep in mind, he was hired by the guy that gave an A to McAdoo's plagiarized paper. most schools try to keep their noses clean during an ncaa investigation, unc seems to be going out of it's way to find new ways to thumb their noses at the investigation
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:25 pm

DS is afraid an independent investigation would expose corruption in basketball and leave Chapel Hill and North Carolina's democratic party a smoking crater.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:28 pm

AugustWest wrote:
Owlman wrote:it was talking about academic advisor Carey. That's what my question was about.
as I understand it, and believe me I'm no expert, any contact between an agent and an underclass student athlete is a violation so if a soph football player took his class it's a violation. if a soph football player talks to him in the hall it's a violation. as far as I know the only athlete to take his class was a female olympic athlete so no classroom violations, however the guys salary for teaching this class was less than his rent for the same time period so he must have been getting something out of his time. also this guy was Robert Quinn's agent while he was teaching a class while Quinn was still on scholarship after being kicked off the team. he loaned Quinn $300k and is now sueing Robert because Rob dropped him as his agent just before the draft.

was using this guy as a teacher a violation? I have no idea but with unc being in the midst of a huge agent scandel having an agent on campus and teaching certainly doesnt look good. keep in mind, he was hired by the guy that gave an A to McAdoo's plagiarized paper. most schools try to keep their noses clean during an ncaa investigation, unc seems to be going out of it's way to find new ways to thumb their noses at the investigation
It may be the alcohol--and there is no worry about running out of booze--but I agree with a lot of what Auggie said. It looked bad.

I think it goes to show two things:

(1) How fucked up the African American Studies program is right now, and (2) how naive the people who run the university are when it comes to perception and keeping things from looking like shit.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:28 pm

AugustWest wrote:DS is afraid an independent investigation would expose corruption in basketball and leave Chapel Hill and North Carolina's democratic party a smoking crater.
I'm not worried about that happening to either of them. Both may have momentary set backs, but they're still strong.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:42 pm

DooKSucks wrote:
AugustWest wrote:DS is afraid an independent investigation would expose corruption in basketball and leave Chapel Hill and North Carolina's democratic party a smoking crater.
I'm not worried about that happening to either of them. Both may have momentary set backs, but they're still strong.

they wont be after an independent investigation get a hold of them. 95% of your basketball players have taken that swahili class inluding members of your last NC team. that being said you would never sustain the damage that NC State did because you would never hold yourselves to the standards NC State did after Valvano. you'd be idiots if you did and contrary to all evidence you're not a group of total idiots.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Just because they took the class--which looks questionable to say the least--doesn't mean that you can prove any wrongdoing.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:02 pm

it took a State fan 5 minutes to prove McAdoodoo's paper was a fraud. do you feel lucky punk? do you? I also notice you're not saying you did anything wrong, you're saying it's difficult to prove. if their school work still exist you're fucked and you know it. so does Thorpe, the BOG, etc.

btw it's funny as hell that The Swoff hasnt addressed an ACC scandal over the last year, but let GT and Miami get in trouble and now it's something that needs to be addressed.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:25 pm

WaffleIron wrote: The basketball stuff is being looked into by a national writer with good sources and good leads. All academic related mostly and throw in some Ed Davis, Wear twins, and Will Graves. Get some extra butter for your popcorn.

this guy was one of the first two to break the agent stuff on PP. he's been right probably 80+% of the time in this mess. this is the first time he's said anything like this. take it for what it's worth.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Owlman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Carey was/is an agent?
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:00 am

apparently only for UNC Alums. he has Peppers, had Quinn, UNc claims he's registered and in good standing in NC, but he's not listed on the Secretary of State web site. but dont mind me I'm just a bitter nc state fan talking out his ass.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:38 pm

AugustWest wrote:WaffleIron wrote: The basketball stuff is being looked into by a national writer with good sources and good leads. All academic related mostly and throw in some Ed Davis, Wear twins, and Will Graves. Get some extra butter for your popcorn.

this guy was one of the first two to break the agent stuff on PP. he's been right probably 80+% of the time in this mess. this is the first time he's said anything like this. take it for what it's worth.
Eh. I'm not going to count anything out now, but I can't see it getting to that point. Who knows though.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:42 pm

as I know all too well all it takes is one reporter looking to make a name for himself. I guess you came through the storm all right.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Dammit

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:09 pm

AugustWest wrote:as I know all too well all it takes is one reporter looking to make a name for himself. I guess you came through the storm all right.
Lost a couple of trees and some big limbs, but nothing did any damage to the house. Thanks for the concern though.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:26 pm

DooKSucks wrote:I'm drunk. Fuck it.
when the hell has DS ever been sober?
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

billy bob bocephus
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by billy bob bocephus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:12 pm

there once was a five minute time span immediately after his birth...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Yeah but he was just coming off a crack high.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am

that would explain his choices in schools and girlfriends....
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:16 am

I'm sober at work and on most weeknights.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm