Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 am

I give straight numbers without any opinion and you see something in that about what is acceptable or not? What crap. Numbers without opinion, Hack. Make of them what you will, but don't make up crap about my beliefs of those numbers.

and no, I don't in any way believe that virtually everytime you see people buy food, they are using food stamps. Not at all, not close, not likely, and in my opinion, not true. On this I agree with Mook.
My Dad is my hero still.

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:39 am

Owlman wrote:I give straight numbers without any opinion and you see something in that about what is acceptable or not? What crap. Numbers without opinion, Hack. Make of them what you will, but don't make up crap about my beliefs of those numbers.

and no, I don't in any way believe that virtually everytime you see people buy food, they are using food stamps. Not at all, not close, not likely, and in my opinion, not true. On this I agree with Mook.
Don't worry. I don't expect either of you to believe anything that might force you to take a long, hard, honest look at your beliefs.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:42 am

Professor Tiger wrote:If you were really poor or working class you'd be a democrat.
That is bullllshit

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati

Post by TheBigMook » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 am

Approximately 15 % (give or take a couple of percentage points) of Americans live below the poverty line. As defined as a family of four living off of $22,350 total yearly income (as per 2011). Only 9.1% on food stamps. Go fuck yourself Hack.
Last edited by TheBigMook on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE OG SSG

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:45 am

Well, in defense of Hack, I took his line about 'virtually every time' as hyperbole. If Oregon has 1 in 5 on welfare, and there are three or four people in line everytime he checks out, then it is possible that he sees someone use stamps every other time or so (unless he shops in a poor neighborhood).

To the larger point, I haven't noticed any increase in food stamp users - of course, I send my domestic to buy any groceries. I've found hobnobbing with the commoners .....unpleasant.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 am

TheBigMook wrote:Approximately 15 % (give or take a couple of percentage points) of Americans live below the poverty line. As defined as a family of four living off of $22,350 total yearly income (as per 2011). Only 9.1% on food stamps. Go fuck yourself Hack.
LOL!

Go fuck myself for noticing that where I buy groceries a lot of people use food stamps? Way too hostile, man. I don't even want to know what you're compensating for.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:53 am

AlabamAlum wrote:Well, in defense of Hack, I took his line about 'virtually every time' as hyperbole. If Oregon has 1 in 5 on welfare, and there are three or four people in line everytime he checks out, then it is possible that he sees someone use stamps every other time or so (unless he shops in a poor neighborhood).

To the larger point, I haven't noticed any increase in food stamp users - of course, I send my domestic to buy any groceries. I've found hobnobbing with the commoners .....unpleasant.
Thank you, sir. Note also that I admitted I am shopping at a budget, bag-your-own grocer. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the numbers of food stamp customers I have noticed. I freely admit that there are higher-priced grocers in my area that probably don't have as many food stamp customers.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 am

I'll post this, again, for context (cites a figure of 14%)...

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/02/ ... od-stamps/

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:00 am

Anyway, it doesn't matter how many people are using food stamps. It's none of our business. And we clearly have no right to even discuss it. In fact, fuck any of us who even takes notice of the number of people who are using them. How dare we?! We've got a lot of nerve -- a lot of nerve.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 am

Libs measure success by how many people they can get to take food stamps.

Conservs measure success by the number of people that don't them anymore.

Anyway the best folks to get opinions from on this is either from folks in poor 'hoods or better yet the cashiers that work in the stores.

Mom worked as a cashier and then as a shopper who gathered grocery orders for people who couldn't get to the store. She has plenty of stories that back Hawksaw's assertion up regarding the type of products purchased and this was many years ago (80's and 90's) and was on the edge of the hood in Dayton (Stanley Avenvue/Webster St/Keowee St for those that might know).

Considering the rates of obesity of those below the poverty line, I'd say that arguing we aren't spending enough on food stamps is a losing argument.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:09 am

Puter,

Some of the most fattening, bad-for-you food is cheap. When a poor person eats out, to get full, they eat 2 or 3 of the 99 cent double cheeseburgers at McDs, or the 12 burritos for 3.99 at Taco Bell. When they shop, they buy ground round and the 5lb bag of off brand fries. Any veggies they eat come from a can.

I wouldn't take obesity as proof that they eat well.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 am

Considering the rates of obesity of those below the poverty line, I'd say that arguing we aren't spending enough on food stamps is a losing argument.
Somebody argued that??? And I'll agree with you that what Hack said was great hyperbole.
My Dad is my hero still.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:25 am

AlabamAlum wrote:Puter,

Some of the most fattening, bad-for-you food is cheap. When a poor person eats out, to get full, they eat 2 or 3 of the 99 cent double cheeseburgers at McDs, or the 12 burritos for 3.99 at Taco Bell. When they shop, they buy ground round and the 5lb bag of off brand fries. Any veggies they eat come from a can.

I wouldn't take obesity as proof that they eat well.
I didn't mean that to mean they ate well. That was more a comment on malnutrition and/or hunger. My fault for not clarifying.

I'll have to send Mom an email and get some of the stories to post.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 am

Hacksaw wrote:
Owlman wrote:According to the Census Bureau, there are
113,104,064 households in the United States of which
10,044,402 or 9.1% of households receive food stamps.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ST ... CONTEXT=st
Almost 1 in 10. You sound like you think that's acceptable. It's almost double that in Oregon. Thank God for the Republican states bringing that average up, huh?

That is what drew the "go fuck yourself" remark. Hence it being preceeded by me pointing out that the poverty rate is about 15% and the poverty line for a family of four is considered <25K a year to live on. Of course, you most likely understood that, becuase you would have to be completely retarded not to. You were being obtuse on purpose so as to once again play the victim. I called you liar for your claim that you always saw people shopping with food stamps. I told you to go fuck yourself for thinking that it is a horrible thing that a family of four living on less than 25K a year should get food stamps. Keep it straight.
Last edited by TheBigMook on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE OG SSG

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:41 am

Thanks for clearing that up, chief.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:43 am

You're welcome.
THE OG SSG

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 am

So basically nobdy blieves that Hack, who shops at a bargan grocery store, sees people using food stamps every time he goes to the grocery store.

Why is that hard to believe?

It's not hard to believe. It may be hard to swallow, but it's not hard to believe.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am

Approximately 15 % of Americans live below the poverty line

A college gradiate...say age 22-29, working part time at Walmart/McDonalds...."lives below the poverty line" with his/her parents, drives a newer car than me, has air conditioning, Dish network, cell phone and hangs w/his buds at the bar 3-4 nights a week.

I was, as most generations are, below the "poverty line" once too...something about young/inexperienced and stupid...who knows?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 am

Sounds to me like Hack needs to move out of the projects.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 am

What really pisses my off is when I stop in at Wally World for a couple of sixes and get behind the fat lady with overflowing shopping cart in the 20 items or less lane and she's paying with food stamps. She then wobbles over to her 'rascal' and motors out to her Escalade.
Let 'er Blow!