Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: North Carolina Tar Heels

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:56 am

I'm getting ready to update my house for about 100k. Meeting tomorrow with a designer. Then in about 2 years I'll sell it and move. Rehabbing house is stressful. It's what ive been. About to dive into another one or two within the month.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:12 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Grouch? What do you mean by that? I don't get that at all.
Why does AA hate grouches and America?
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:19 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:You ever watch any of the flipping shows on HGTV (I swear I'm not gay) - looks like fun.

yea I'm addicted to those shows.

As long as its structurally sound, we can do the work ourselves - plumbing, electrical, framing, drywall - none of that is a big deal. The real challenge is just to know the market.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:45 pm

I am too. There is one in Waco. A husband and wife. Chip and Joanna. Don't remember the name of the show. Their transformations ate pretty remarkable.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I am too. There is one in Waco. A husband and wife. Chip and Joanna. Don't remember the name of the show. Their transformations ate pretty remarkable.

yea...1. they seem original. You should look for the Q&A they did on youtube about what goes on behind scenes - I don't think there is anything about that couple that is fake. 2. They are kinda pissed at some people - at least 3 of their homes are now rentals and tourist attractions because the owners realize that thanks to the show they can have full occupancy, so in the future they are going to include a contract clause to prevent that, and 3. a few weeks ago some jackass snuck onto their farm and killed at least one of their pet goats.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Fixer Upper. Good show. Good ideas but their estimates for each room are short.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:51 pm

eCat wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:I am too. There is one in Waco. A husband and wife. Chip and Joanna. Don't remember the name of the show. Their transformations ate pretty remarkable.

yea...1. they seem original. You should look for the Q&A they did on youtube about what goes on behind scenes - I don't think there is anything about that couple that is fake. 2. They are kinda pissed at some people - at least 3 of their homes are now rentals and tourist attractions because the owners realize that thanks to the show they can have full occupancy, so in the future they are going to include a contract clause to prevent that, and 3. a few weeks ago some jackass snuck onto their farm and killed at least one of their pet goats.
Read that too. They are still making a pretty dime though with all the stuff they've built off that show. I think they are great and dream that my next wife has her skills. My first was a Martha Stewart clone, but fucking psycho.

Don't just dive into a project though. Even if you think you have all your bases covered, expect the unexpected and make your budget plain. Don't think about anything but the basics unless you are building a brand name, long term company that brances out to remodeling.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm trying to do that here and in Bluffton, SC. Heading back down there next week to close on a place. It's a total dump right now but it's on the May River.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:
eCat wrote:

Read that too. They are still making a pretty dime though with all the stuff they've built off that show. I think they are great and dream that my next wife has her skills. My first was a Martha Stewart clone, but fucking psycho.

Don't just dive into a project though. Even if you think you have all your bases covered, expect the unexpected and make your budget plain. Don't think about anything but the basics unless you are building a brand name, long term company that brances out to remodeling.

yea I think I've dabbled in this enough to realize that I'm not going to take a $60K home in Linwood and turn it into a $300K Homearama.

My goal would be to find structurally sound - no cracked basement, no rotted wood , no caved roofs and just refurb with basics. I'm to old to carry packs of shingles on a roof . I'm not doing this as a retirement plan or change of career either. Hell, I don't know if I'm doing it at all, but we've been kicking it around for awhile and we might just do it once and never think about it again.

Part of it may be just doing it and giving it to my kid while he goes to school downtown too.

his wife has some skills - really she comes off on TV as the perfect wife.

I'm actually building an addition to my shed today so I can move my air compressor outside and not hear that god awful racket when I use it.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Find a Realtor that is good with foreclosures. That's the only way you make real money.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:54 pm

You can turn a 60k into a 240k if you play it right.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:55 pm

And Homerama homes laugh at your 300k.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:18 pm

yea I know

wife went to homearama a few weeks ago and came home with about $300K worth of shit she wanted me to do

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:18 pm

I think it's shitty that they put that clause in. Sad about their goat.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:21 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I think it's shitty that they put that clause in. Sad about their goat.
I'm ok with it

The premise of their show is to build homes for families, not AirBnB spots.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:44 pm

When I buy something, it's mine. What I do with it should be none of their concern.

If I pay a contractor to remodel my home and I later rent it out, I don't want that sob showing up at my door and saying, "I remodeled this house for you, not for you to rent it out!" God forbid he try to put a clause in the contract limiting what I do with my property because he refurbed it.
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:48 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:When I buy something, it's mine. What I do with it should be none of their concern.

If I pay a contractor to remodel my home and I later rent it out, I don't want that sob showing up at my door and saying, "I remodeled this house for you, not for you to rent it out!" God forbid he try to put a clause in the contract limiting what I do with my property because he refurbed it.

true, but its a credibility issue with the show. They'll potentially lose viewership if they sell the show as them helping families settle in Waco and then people find out these homes are just rental units

They're not choosing just any contractor, they're being part of a television show.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:18 pm

I don't think credability is an issue. I would have never known about it unless you had said something and you only knew because you heard it from them. And what the new owner does with his property doesn't make Chip and Joanna or the show less credible imo.

As far as lost viewership, I cannot imagine thinking to myself, "I would watch that show with Chip and Joanna where they flip houses, but I heard that some of the houses they once flipped are now being rented out. RENTED OUT??!! Fuck them, fuck that show, and Fuck Waco! I'm gonna watch 'Cutthroat Kitchen' instead as a protest!"
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:52 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I don't think credability is an issue. I would have never known about it unless you had said something and you only knew because you heard it from them. And what the new owner does with his property doesn't make Chip and Joanna or the show less credible imo.

As far as lost viewership, I cannot imagine thinking to myself, "I would watch that show with Chip and Joanna where they flip houses, but I heard that some of the houses they once flipped are now being rented out. RENTED OUT??!! Fuck them, fuck that show, and Fuck Waco! I'm gonna watch 'Cutthroat Kitchen' instead as a protest!"
whatever...its their premise. If they feel its necessary then more power to them.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Has anyone here with successfully bought a house with a contingency their house sold before closing?