Let 'er Blow!

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:49 am

crashcourse wrote:we have a society that is fast moving twords nobody wanting to be a cop because they are placed in situations where they have to make life and death decisions and whatever they decide generally opens them up to conjecture and ridicule and sometimes charges. You have stoked situations now where they are ambushed, stabbed, assassinated,
That is one of those "yeah-kinda-but-not-really" debates.

Police recruitment was down everywhere 4-6 years ago - BEFORE Michael Brown, Black Lives Matter, etc. but in recent years it's been static or increasing in most big departments. IMO, the major factor in smaller departments is pay/benefits. My buddy's son (23 years old) is a year out of the police academy in Santa Monica. He has a 2-year AA in Criminal Justice from a junior college and started at $63,000 base salary (his dad said he made over 70 with OT). Full medical/dental/retirement benefits, too boot.

That's DOUBLE what a Naval Academy grad gets, coming out with an engineering degree.

In a small town dept. where they start you at 35 grand, yes, recruitment is down, but some of that is a lack of available applicants. In Cali, some of the smaller departments are basically seen as feeders to the big ones. People who cannot get in to LAPD or Sheriffs go to the small cities or exurbia and then transfer over to the big boys later.

In Dallas, applications to the PD tripled after the 2 cops were assassinated. For every person who backs away from wanting to apply because of negative press, one steps up who wants to bash a protester's head.

As for cops who are "retiring in droves because of the current climate" (a line I heard a few months ago), those folks are still civil servants and every single civil servant that I know comes in the door circling their vesting dates, their 20 year date and their 30 year date. It's amazing how many of them who are "fed up with the bullshit" after 20 years of service manage to hang on for another 12/13 years and max out their pensions.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 am

10ac wrote:http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-22/

70% are from out of state. Hmmmm
Page Not Found - they probably realized they story was crap and took it down.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 am

Just for Prof!

Eyewitness to #KeithLamontScott Shooting: ‘The Officer That Shot That Man Was White’
http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/20 ... -shooting/
Williams says that couldn’t be further from the truth: “It was not a black officer that killed him; it was a white officer that killed him. He was bald-headed. The black officer came on the scene 15, maybe 10 or 15 minutes later. And he was the one doing CPR on him … and I’m pretty sure by that time, the man was already gone. He didn’t die at [Carolinas Medical Center] at 4 [p.m.], he died out here at 2:30 [p.m.].

“I actually saw the shooting,” Williams continued. “I saw that man die. I saw him take his last breath. I saw him move and then there was nothing; he didn’t move no more after that.”
Too bad we cannot watch the video . . .

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:23 am

I'm always curious about that. "We can't release the [audio, video, pics, whatever] until the investigation is complete." I mean, that video I posted of the guy shot 16 times was kept under wraps for over a year. Strange, if you consider that taxpayers paid for - and can rightfully claim ownership of - that information. Authorities need to come stronger with an explanation for withholding the Charlotte video(s) from public view.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 am

Root never takes their ridiculous assertions down.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:36 am

sardis wrote:Root never takes their ridiculous assertions down.
Their "ridiculous assertions" are actually sourced - and linked - to other media sources.

[youtube]b_eoLsghu6k[/youtube]

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Nowhere in that link says anyone disagrees to the fact that it was Officer Vinson (black) who shot the man.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:Again I must ask: if the shooting cop was black, and the police chief is black, how is this shooting being called racist? Are we supposed to believe that black cops hate black people?
I-N-S-T-I-T-U-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-Z-E-D R-A-C-I-S-M

The system (i.e. the training, attitudes and culture) of the police department are racist. It's NOT about individual cops.

Police chief suspends training program after outcry over use of black men’s mugshots for target practice

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... rylink=cpy

If this is what you are trained to shoot at - you shoot it first and ask questions later.
You're asking Prof to understand nuance and that's not really his thing.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:56 pm

So black police chiefs train black cops that causes them to fire on other black people quicker than on white people.That must be some bodaciously powerful training. It must include inserting microchips just below the skin.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Page Not Found - they probably realized they story was crap and took it down.
I've heard it broadcast on a couple of radio news programs today.
Let 'er Blow!

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:32 pm

here part of the video. wonder where the gun is

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlotte-st ... 25956.html

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:44 pm

the black cop in the vest appears to reach down and either place something or pick up something. supposedly he was the shooter now varying degrees on whether he was or not

looked like a nice neighborhood

wonder why the cops came in the first place--assuming he was in the white pickup truck

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:15 pm

I saw no need for that. That was bullshit with his wife standing right there.
Let 'er Blow!

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 pm

But it would've been OK if she hadn't been there?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:So black police chiefs train black cops that causes them to fire on other black people quicker than on white people.That must be some bodaciously powerful training. It must include inserting microchips just below the skin.
Black police chiefs don't train black cops in the same way that white admirals don't train white sailors. The training is system that was created decades before the black chief joined the force (even if s/he came up in the department) and even if the chief was formerly the head of the training division, he or she may not understand the deficiencies in the training - ESPECIALLY IF S/HE WAS A PRODUCT OF THAT TRAINING!

After the Rodney King Riots of 1992. LA Police Chief Daryl Gates "retired" and was replaced by LA's 1st Black police chief, Willie Williams. Willie was an outsider brought in from Philadelphia PD and the entire LAPD "sat down" on him - including the black commanders - when he tried to change the training protocols and procedures in the department. Even though he was popular with the public, the police commission did not renew his contract.

They replaced him with Bernard Parks (also black) - a career LAPD guy who was endorsed by both former chief Gates AND the police union. The cops LOVED him - he was THEIR GUY . . . but the community reviled him as he undid the few changes that Williams had instituted. Even though he was an entrenched part of the black community - member of the right clubs and social sets, attended a major church, wife a civic icon, etc., - black leaders demanded that he go because the consensus (backed up by data) was that LAPD was MORE BRUTAL TO MINORITIES under his leadership than it was under even Gates, which led to the LAPD being placed under a Federal Consent Decree.

Parks was black - but his mindset was shaped by the training he received in the early 60s when LAPD's main function was to keep the black, the brown and the poor out of the way of the rich white folks on the westside. That is institutionalized racism - the race of the person running the system doesn't matter because the system does what it does.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:16 am

hedge wrote:But it would've been OK if she hadn't been there?
Hell no, but she was there. They should have let her talk to him to see if she could reason with him. Or call one of their negotiators or something. Not shoot him down in front of his wife. Be a hero, talk him down don't push him off the ledge.
Let 'er Blow!

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:19 am

[youtube]tke_27wbW-0[/youtube]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:36 am

He had a gun, wouldn't comply etc. But, he should have been tazed first.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:59 am

"black leaders demanded that he go because the consensus (backed up by data) was that LAPD was MORE BRUTAL TO MINORITIES under his leadership than it was under even Gates"

They didn't let the fact that they were black blind them to the fact that blackie and brownie need to be treated brutally by police to keep them in line and maintain order so that whitey can go about conducting the real business of this country, so that there will be enough tax revenue to ensure that blackie and brownie don't have to work but will still get a cell phone, food and lodging for free...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.