Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: The Arrogant, Entitltled World Champion Los Angeles Lake

Post by Bklyn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:19 pm

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 pm

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

"Retiring" GM drunk-dials D12

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Bob Vander Weide is retiring as CEO of the Orlando Magic, Bright House Sports Network learned Tuesday.

Alex Martins, the Magic's current president, was named as Vander Weide's replacement.

Vander Weide was promoted to CEO in July 2010 after serving as the team's president for 16 years. "It was a good long run for 20 years," said Vander Weide on a phone call to BHSN's David Baumann. "I originally committed for three years and stayed another 17."

"I'm very proud of the last four years, especially," he said. "A trip to the finals a couple of years ago and winning season after winning season."

He began his career with the Magic in 1992 as vice president of basketball operations. His contract with the Magic runs through December 31st. Vander Weide will remain with the Magic in a consulting role. "This move allows me to be more of a fan than an executive," he noted.

Vander Weide confirmed that he made a 1 a.m. phone call in recent days to Magic superstar Dwight Howard, and Howard thought Vander Weide may have been intoxicated. On that call, Vander Weide told Howard how much the Magic wanted to keep him in Orlando. "I was playing paddle with friends and had a couple of glasses of wine," Vander Weide told BHSN. "Maybe Dwight thought it was inappropriate to talk business after a couple of glasses of wine... Maybe I should have waited until the morning."

Howard and Vander Weide have always had a solid relationship, according to Vander Weide. "We have a very good relationship," he said, also noting that Dwight's intentions are to see the Magic improve this season. "I have a pretty clear understanding where Dwight's head is and that's between him and this organization."

Vander Weide has also had the final say in free agency and in trades. He told BHSN he believes the Magic might be able to cater to Howard's needs and acquire another NBA superstar. "It is certainly possible, teams like our assets," said Vander Weide in regard to a question about the potential to acquire either Chris Paul of the Hornets or Monta Ellis of the Warriors.
http://www.cfnews13.com/article/sports/ ... -to-retire
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Hizzy III » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm at a loss... if the Lakers sign Howard, which current Laker big man goes? Frankly, I'd probably trade Bynum for some backcourt help, if at all possible.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Well, the Lakers would have to trade for Howard, unless they wait until after this season to sign him straight up. If they trade for him, it will definitely be Bynum and Orlando would want Gasol and expect LA to take Hedo away, too.

There is a bit of talk of LA landing CP3 for Bynum and Odom and getting Okafor for the frontcourt help with Pau.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 pm

I wouldn't give up Bynum and Gasol for Howard, and Hedo disappears too often to be a real asset. I actually like the second scenario better (although, not as a Rockets fan).
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Well, now Twitter chatter says a 3 team deal is in the works to bring CP3 to LA and Pau to Houston and the coveted youth assets and picks of the Rox go to NO.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski
The Hornets have started to inform teams that they're sending Chris Paul to the Lakers for Bynum and Odom, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski
Correction: The proposed deal to the Lakers is Chris Paul for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, source says.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 pm

God, its changing by the minute...

Adrian Wojnarowski
Hornets working to finalize details on 3-team deal to send Chris Paul to Lakers, Gasol to Rockets and Odom, KMart, Scola to NO, sources say.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:40 pm

That would be a horrendous deal for the Rockets. Gasol in no way is worth KMart and Scola
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 pm

The Rockets need a center that defends and rebounds. Gasol is a PF.
My Dad is my hero still.

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 pm

I read somewhere that the Lakers also get Okafor.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:44 pm

This is bullshit.
Sources said that a group of NBA owners, assembled in New York for the ratification of the league's new labor pact with the players, protested vigorously that the league-owned Hornets were trading Paul to the star-studded Lakers and convinced NBA commissioner David Stern to intervene.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 pm

If anything, giving up Gasol and Odom for Paul looks lopsided against the Lakers.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:04 am

Not when you had a secondary deal for more size in the works that effectively gets squashed because the League Office killed your deal without any definitive reason besides "basketball."

So, for those keeping score, the League has now shown they can control the most a player can make, reduce the amount players make overall and can tell you that you can't leave the team that agrees to move you.

David Stern is a joke...and a gangster.

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 am

"For basketball reasons" is the new punch line.

Not sure if this totally kills any sort of Dwight move or not. If the Paul trade went through I'm not sure they have the pieces remaining to get Howard. Bynum plus World Peace? But on the other hand it's clear the Association can play Calvinball whenever they want, so why bother picking up the phone to call other GMs?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:29 am

Reminds me of back when the 77 Reds traded for Vida Blue but the commish shot it down because they would have been too good.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:10 am

This is why the NBA is complete garbage. You have the CAA(or whatever they are called) to get their star players out of small markets. Lebron out of Cleveland to Miami. Carmello out of Denver to NY. Now Chris Paul to LA. That is why the basketball is terrible, that is why the refs are cheaters, and that is why I wanted it to burn to the ground. As long as David Stern is in charge and they play terrible basketball, they will not get a damn dime from me or a minute of NBA television watching from me.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Actually, the quality of basketball has never been better the past 4 years. This group of young stars are phenomenal.

I know small market teams suck, but they pretty much always do and always have. So, if you've ever liked the NBA then you've liked that reality. If not, then I can't put much weight in you saying how horrible the product has become. That's like me railing against the latest season of Desperate Housewives. I've always thought the show was ass...my opinion has not increased in value.

David Stern is a motherfucker, though.