Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: North Carolina Tar Heels

Post by eCat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:28 am

I haven't had a problem with punk ass kids in forever.

I think I'm in that buffer age where I'm still too young to yell at them for just walking down the street
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:46 am

Oh, it's coming, though...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 am

I really enjoy soccer, but it's almost exclusive to the World Cup. I am slightly into the UEFA and the Copa Americano, but only in passing. Because of that, I am starting to realize that I only slightly like soccer as a sport, in and of itself...but I really like the high level competition, the heightened stakes and fan fervor. I don't really start to feel all of that until the bigger tournaments.

The World Cup is one of the greatest sporting events. I love the energy and the stakes.

I don't really feel that for US Soccer...and my neighbor is counsel for MLS. I never even use any of the perks that I can freely have from him because I have no real interest in sitting through some regular season MLS match.
Last edited by Bklyn on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 am

Last night is just a reminder of how far this nation has to go. Argentina is the best side in the world right now.

Soccer is growing by leaps and bounds. I can't think of anyone I know under the age of 40 who has a college degree and won't at least watch the major international matches.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 am

I watched a documentary on Ahmet Ertegun last night, the son of a Turkish diplomat, who started Atlantic Records back in the 1940's. His character was featured prominently in the Ray Charles movie. This guy signed a bunch of blues and jazz acts in the early days, and then when the British rockers who were into that music blew up they wanted to sign with Atlantic b/c that was the label that had all the old blues artists on it. He signed Clapton, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, amongst many others. Evidently this guy also founded the New York Cosmos back in the day. He died after falling down backstage at a Rolling Stones concert in 2006 at age 83. Among other tributes, Led Zeppelin reformed for their only full concert with the original three members (plus John Bonham's son on drums) since 1980...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 am

In the stadium, and outside the stadium before the game it was actually pretty amazing. I was very surprised at how pro-United States the crowd was. It was very loud and pro-US before the game started, maybe the biggest, most pro-US we've ever played in front of against that caliber of a team. It sounded like a Texans game pregame. Of course the game was a real shitshow, the early goal, the fact that we didn't even get a shot off the entire match. Not a lot to get excited about after the opening kick.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:21 am

hedge wrote:I watched a documentary on Ahmet Ertegun last night, the son of a Turkish diplomat, who started Atlantic Records back in the 1940's. His character was featured prominently in the Ray Charles movie. This guy signed a bunch of blues and jazz acts in the early days, and then when the British rockers who were into that music blew up they wanted to sign with Atlantic b/c that was the label that had all the old blues artists on it. He signed Clapton, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, amongst many others. Evidently this guy also founded the New York Cosmos back in the day. He died after falling down backstage at a Rolling Stones concert in 2006 at age 83. Among other tributes, Led Zeppelin reformed for their only full concert with the original three members (plus John Bonham's son on drums) since 1980...
I remember that guy from the Dead Pool.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:29 pm

I thought Zeppelin reformed in '85 for a show...

I know they did the two shows at the o2 Arena in 2008 or so.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:21 pm

I got into a lottery to see them about 2008 -seem to remember it was for English venue

saw them live in 77 at market square arena

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:26 pm

DooKSucks wrote:I thought Zeppelin reformed in '85 for a show...

I know they did the two shows at the o2 Arena in 2008 or so.
"The Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert was a benefit concert held in memory of music executive Ahmet Ertegün at the O2 Arena in London on December 10, 2007. The headline act was the English rock band, Led Zeppelin, who performed their first full-length concert since the death of drummer John Bonham in 1980, in a one-off reunion. Bonham's son Jason Bonham played drums during the band's set, and also provided backing vocals on two songs.

According to Guinness World Records 2009, the concert holds the world record for the "Highest Demand for Tickets for One Music Concert" as 20 million requests for the reunion show were rendered online."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Assholes

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:09 am

its probably not a good start to the Olympics in your country when you have to shoot the mascot in the head

the mascot was also an endangered species......
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:56 pm

aTm wrote:Uh, Im talking about fan interest. Its too bad its only DS and I left or this would be clearly demostrated, but sports fans under 40 generally watch soccer.

Fan interest has grown in soccer, but there are thousands of people who pay to get into an arena to watch Asian dudes play video games against each other. So make what you will of "fan interest."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:11 am

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:23 am

Best song ever.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:43 am

We’ve seen players and managers sent off during matches for a variety of reasons, but has anyone seen someone get the boot for flatulence? Well, now we have, as a Swedish player received a second yellow (and thus a sending off) for farting during a match.

Pershagen SK left back Adam Lindin Ljungkvist was dismissed late in a match against Järna SK’s reserves in what he says is the “strangest thing I have ever experienced in football,” according to Länstidningen Södertälje and translated by The Guardian.

“I asked the referee, ‘What, am I not allowed to break wind a little?’ ‘No,’ he replied … I don’t get it but maybe he thought I farted in my hand and threw the fart at him. But I did not.”

Yes, throwing the fart would definitely warrant action, but Ljungkvist claims innocence on that front. Perhaps it was the vociferousness of the wind-breaking that got Ljungkvist busted. His opponent, Kristoffer Linde, said, “I was standing a good distance away but I heard the fart loud and clear.”

Although referees usually don’t speak about decisions, Dany Kako justified his actions to the media, saying, “I perceived it as deliberate provocation. He did it on purpose and it was inappropriate. Therefore, he received a yellow card.”

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:19 am

Too funny. The judge said about the same to me during sentencing. If ya gotta fart ya gotta fart.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 am

compared to with original Bonham on drums

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:21 pm

good story on the Joe Dirt of the Track and Field

http://www.runnersworld.com/olympic-tri ... trials-10k

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:19 am

This is very simple. If the infraction is not caught by normal observation before the start of next hole, then it's too late to give a penalty.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/7/10/ ... ttany-lang