Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Well, you are required to have insurance if you have a car in case one of those rare instances you speak of occur. Maybe gun owners should be required to have insurance on their guns...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Interesting question: would this mandatory insurance also apply to kitchen knives? baseball bats? husbands who come home from business trips early?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Tree wrote:Automobiles have stringent regulations for buying, using, and selling, dipshit. Now if we have that for machines used for transportation, don't you think we should probably have it for machines that were made for killing people?

what stringent regulations do you propose that will prevent a 16 year old from stealing his dad's shotgun?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun May 20, 2018 4:22 am

I used to think Cletus had a modicum of se4nse. bur oh well fa.
Let 'er Blow!

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Sun May 20, 2018 6:11 am

Cletus wants to ban all guns, period. Well except for the ones that protect his gated community and the country club.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 am

What stringent regulations do you think is going to stop people from using drugs?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Sun May 20, 2018 12:11 pm

eCat wrote:
Tree wrote:Automobiles have stringent regulations for buying, using, and selling, dipshit. Now if we have that for machines used for transportation, don't you think we should probably have it for machines that were made for killing people?

what stringent regulations do you propose that will prevent a 16 year old from stealing his dad's shotgun?
Eliminating all shotguns. There isn’t any real need for these things to exist.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Around 40,000 people died in auto accidents last year.

The solution to this senseless carnage is clear: ban automobiles.

Until we, as a country, finally come to our senses and ban automobiles, I hope all of you who still use automobiles enjoy killing 40,000 people just to pursue your hobby.
Even though the benefit that cars provide to society is such that we are willing to make that trade, it’s too much and needs to improve. Automated tech is available now to help and is improving rapidly. On the other side, guns offer nothing and you people are not willing to make any effort to improve the current horrible situation. I guess you get to hold on to this ridiculous fantasy that you are protecting your home and holding off the government. I guess all the death and destruction is ok as long as you get to feel a little less pathetic and impotent for awhile.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Cars. Heh. Fucking moron makes no sense. Next he's gonna go after faulty high top sneakers.

Pussy

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun May 20, 2018 5:17 pm

hedge wrote:What stringent regulations do you think is going to stop people from using drugs?
I don't know of any
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Cletus wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:Around 40,000 people died in auto accidents last year.

The solution to this senseless carnage is clear: ban automobiles.

Until we, as a country, finally come to our senses and ban automobiles, I hope all of you who still use automobiles enjoy killing 40,000 people just to pursue your hobby.
Even though the benefit that cars provide to society is such that we are willing to make that trade, it’s too much and needs to improve. Automated tech is available now to help and is improving rapidly. On the other side, guns offer nothing and you people are not willing to make any effort to improve the current horrible situation. I guess you get to hold on to this ridiculous fantasy that you are protecting your home and holding off the government. I guess all the death and destruction is ok as long as you get to feel a little less pathetic and impotent for awhile.
I firmly believe that young man's father should be in jail tonight for allowing access to guns unsupervised to a minor. If the gun results in the death of someone, it should be a mandatory prison sentence of at least 3 years.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun May 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Cletus wrote:Eliminating all shotguns. There isn’t any real need for these things to exist.
What a colossal piece of utter ignorance. First, there are two excellent reasons for them to exist. First, they are about the only firearms that can hit a quail or a dove or a pheasant in flight. That’s because they don’t require great accuracy to hit what you are aiming at. They are also good at close range only. For those reasons, it’s a fairly good home defense weapon, but that’s about it.

Second, and more appropriate to your supposed goal to prevent mass shootings: use of shotguns in mass shootings is rare. They have extremely short range, low ammo capacity, and slow rate of fire compared to a rifle. In short, if you want to kill a lot of people as quickly and efficiently as possible, you would never use a shotgun. That is why no army in the world uses them. If you knew what you were talking about, you would already know that.

But I’m sure you’ll want to ban them anyway, as well as handguns, along with rifles, since that is one of your ultimate utopian fantasies. If that ever happens, watch what happens next. You won’t like it.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun May 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:That is why no army in the world uses them. If you knew what you were talking about, you would already know that.
If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that’s a lie. Hell, you were stationed at Bragg and undoubtedly exposed to Special Forces (aka “Green Berets”),Delta and JSOC types.

One of my close friends is a captain in the Special Forces. They use shotguns for entry and close combat. Other elements have used and do use them.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun May 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Operators have all kinds of toys that the other 99% of the army doesn’t have.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun May 20, 2018 7:52 pm

You made a blanket statement. You were wrong. I called you on it.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Here is a well sourced wiki article about military usage of the Mossberg 590: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Here’s another article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_shotgun

Like it says, the military uses shotguns as an “offensive weapon, breaching system, and less lethal riot control.” Back to the matter at hand, mass murderers aren’t all that interested in shotguns because they aren’t too focused on breaching doors and crowd control.

But if it makes you feel better, I will revise my statement and say that shotguns are used by maybe 1% of the US military. They may also be used by other (mostly third world) armies where lethality is not a priority.

Here’s a fair article by a paper with no love for guns, WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... bfb3b646cf

The graphics show the weapons used mass shooters. You won’t see too many shotguns.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pm

a shotgun is widely considered the most versatile home protection weapon you can buy, especially for people who aren't familiar with guns.

Hearing the slide action of a pump shotgun will give an intruder pause.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Cletus wrote:
eCat wrote:

Eliminating all shotguns. There isn’t any real need for these things to exist.
Bird hunters are much more effective shooting birds with a .308

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Sun May 20, 2018 9:24 pm

So, both you and Prof agree that shotguns are good for more efficiently killing birds and protect against a nonexistent home threat.

As I said, there isn’t any real need for these things to exist.