Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 am

Yeah if you work with them on it, they will give them to you.

"Will I need to run coax to every HD receiver too or just the one whole house DVR?"

No.

They will all be connected via your exisiting coax cable and in the setup, they will name the receivers like Living room, bedroom, etc...

I think the little box I was speaking about is if you want to use the "on-demand" stuff and may not be necessary for the whole home DVR. However, I would have them verify that for sure.

I had a total new install on this for me so they ran all the necessary cables for the little box at the time. Not for sure if you will need to do that for an exisiting setup. Verify with them and if so, have them do it so nothing gets screwed up and you end up having to pay for more receivers.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 am

thanks man

I just got off the phone with them

They are giving me the DVR, the whole house box thing, and 2 extra HD receivers , plus installation for free.

so the only thing I don't like is I'm paying a lease fee and the stuff is never mine but fuck it, I'll lock in for 2 years and them make them upgrade me again like we do phones.

They are coming out tomorrow with all the shit to hook it up.

I'm looking forward to having caller ID pop up on my TV more than anything else.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:45 am

You still have a land line?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 am

yea

I'm the only one left I think - but its bundled with my internet and I don't want to switch out.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:32 pm

And if you have a home security system, most of the time they require to have a lan line for the system to call 911 and such.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:33 pm

eCat wrote:thanks man

I just got off the phone with them

They are giving me the DVR, the whole house box thing, and 2 extra HD receivers , plus installation for free.

so the only thing I don't like is I'm paying a lease fee and the stuff is never mine but fuck it, I'll lock in for 2 years and them make them upgrade me again like we do phones.

They are coming out tomorrow with all the shit to hook it up.

I'm looking forward to having caller ID pop up on my TV more than anything else.
I don't know if they still have it or not but with the new signup as long as I did direct billing, they waived the cost of the monthly fee for the home DVR service, something like 15-20 bucks a month.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:53 pm

This'll be an easy one: We've got the desktop computer at the MIF's house set up in the back room, and so the wireless signal is difficult to pick up in the front room. What's the best way to solve this issue without having to have cables strewn all over the place? Can I just buy another wireless router and split the cable that we use for the TV in the front room? Or do you have to hook up a whole nother modem too?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Buy a bigger router

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:43 pm

I would assume your setup works this way

you have a cable or dsl modem that feeds into your wireless router and the wireless router then gives out DHCP to every computer that either hard wires or connects wirelessly.

splitting the modem signal won't work because its the router that gives your the access to the internet thru the modem (via that DHCP thing I mentioned).

what you can do is buy another cheap wireless router and set it up as a "repeater" - basically a signal amplifier.

I probably have one at the house I could send you, but the challenge would be the configuration part where you set it up to act as a repeater and not the out of the box router.

it also may be possible to split the signal with another cable modem and just hang the computer straight off the modem - I'm not up to speed on cable internet

finally a last option , which you said you didn't really want, is to run a 50 or 100 foot ethernet cable from the router you have now (like thru an AC vent , closet or attic, etc) and then either connect that directly to the computer or to another wireless router (effectively giving you 2 separate wireless networks in the house).

I've done all 3. The latter is what I have setup now in my home. I did it because my TV needed a hard wired ethernet cable, and since I had to run the cable, I just hooked a wireless router up to it anyways.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:55 pm

I do have HBO but I'm wondering if I should ditch it if I can download the shows right after they air each week. My wife's nephew did that for us when we were in Calif. on vacation 2 summers ago. but he had the laptop plugged into the TV and I'm wondering if I can broadcast it from my laptop to my Roku box since I don't have a way to run an HDMI cable to my laptop.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:20 pm

you dont have a DVI out? You have a mac right?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm

You can get a mini-dvi (usually on mac laptops) to hdmi adapter and plug and hdmi cable to that for probably $10 or so.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 pm

We've got the desktop computer at the MIF's house set up in the back room, and so the wireless signal is difficult to pick up in the front room.

also make sure your wireless adapter is unobstructed as possible. teh signal on my pc tower went from "low" to "very good" just by repositioning the receiver
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:43 pm

aTm wrote:you dont have a DVI out? You have a mac right?

There's 2 USB ports and another one with a rounded end and a straight end so I guess that's probably a DVI out. I'm still hoping to figure out a way to broadcast to the Roku box.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm

The DVI symbol is a box with a bar/line on either side.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 pm

My Grandma thanks you for that advice.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:18 pm

The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 am

I think the woman on the phone lied to me about that Directv setup

I have it all setup and going, and while its OK, I think I'm now limited to only recording two programs at once for the entire house, whereas before I could record two programs for each TV.

That sucks big time.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 am

I have Uverse and can record up to 4 programs at once as long as at least 2 are not HD.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am

sound like I need to read a manual