Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Saint » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
Saint wrote:I didn't realize ESPN was putting out so much political programming. Oh wait, you're talking about the few times a year they throw something out there that Billy Joe and Bobby Sue get riled up about. Yep, that'll tear down their ratings, all right.
If ESPN started doing specials lionizing Steve Bannon as "stunning and brave," and frequently talking about how we need to build a wall, or abortion is murder, you don't think that would affect their viewership in blue state America?
Sure but when has ESPN done specials on politics at all? Let me help you. It hasn't. If you don't like the fact that Bruce Jenner has tits, fine, but giving him an award is a far cry from what you're claiming.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 pm

I just don't see the hype over Trubisky.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:38 am

Moving up to take him at 2 is the joke.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 am

they gave up essentially two starters for him.

Whats the knock on the Clemson QB? Hard to imagine passing that kid up for a guy with 13 starts in college.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Poor Trubinsky. With a lot of teams he'd have a chance at a decent NFL career. But with the hapless Bears, he will be selling life insurance soon.

Saint, I am stating outright that ESPN's elevation of Bruce Jenner to Leftist sainthood in a Oscars-like TV extravaganza was 100 percent political. What in the world was it OTHER than political? It sure as hell had nothing to do with sports, which is what ESPN used to be about.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 pm

bluetick wrote:he Almighty made ketchup for one thing only: french fries.
[youtube]OjlHvTZq1E8[/youtube]
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Saint wrote:I just don't see the hype over Trubisky.
He has all of the tools/qualities teams want, but that is far from equating to him being a lock. I am interested to see how this plays out.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm

The Bears clearly think he is the next Tom Brady.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 pm

They are wrong. Worst trade ever

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm

"Saint, I am stating outright that ESPN's elevation of Bruce Jenner to Leftist sainthood in a Oscars-like TV extravaganza was 100 percent political."

You're right, they should stick to giving an ESPY only to people dying of cancer who can give a hackneyed, sodden "inspirational" speech so people like you can shed a tear or two and be able to continue believing that you are a complete human being because of it...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:34 pm

It's an award acknowledging courage demonstrated by prominent people in the sports world. Jenner is clearly prominent and given that the world is still mainly dominated by garbage people like Prof, it took a lot of courage for her to do what she did so publicly. Seems like a no brainier if the award is going to exist.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:12 pm

doesn't really matter whether you support or dislike the award or who/what ESPN reports

the argument is they have intentionally chosen to be political which is true. If you're not bothered by that so be it. Some are and they have stopped watching ESPN other than live sports because of it. Its affected ESPNs bottom line.

From what I've read the guy heading up ESPN has acknowledged it and has said he has no intention of changing the direction they are headed.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon May 01, 2017 6:03 am

What is a heroic about a man who tells the world he likes to wear womens' clothing? If you want to find real heroes, look for parents of a kid with Downs Syndrome, or spouses who care for their spouses who have Alzheimer's, or people who serve in soup kitchens, or run homeless shelters, or soldiers who get their limbs blown off.

There is nothing heroic about Bruce Jenner. It wasn't even brave. He was a washed up has been mooching on another "famous for being famous" crowd, the Kardashians. Now he is a "hero" and his dead career is alive and lucrative again. It wasn't brave; it was a shrewd and financially profitable career move.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 am

What's heroic about dying from cancer?

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

I said courageous not heroic. There is a big difference. And, your post demonstrated perfectly why it takes a lot of courage to do what she did.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 am

I don't know wtf jenner is but marrying a woman while the supposed groom is taking female hormones doesn't sound courageous to me

writing a book about your ex claiming she knew everything when you met sounds pretty pussified

far from a kardashian fan but I think they have handled this whole thing pretty well now brucie comes out with another ploy to make everyone feel sorry for it

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Mon May 01, 2017 10:16 am

Professor Tiger wrote:If you want to find real heroes, look for parents of a kid with Downs Syndrome, or spouses who care for their spouses who have Alzheimer's, or people who serve in soup kitchens, or run homeless shelters, or soldiers who get their limbs blown off.
Exactly!

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm

eCat wrote:From what I've read the guy heading up ESPN has acknowledged it and has said he has no intention of changing the direction they are headed.
^Now THIS guy has courage. It takes guts for a CEO of a company he has already run into a ditch, in no small part due to his politicization of his product, to double down on his failure like that. He's gonna signal his virtue and moral superiority to his friends in the media business, and keep giving a big middle finger to his former - and possible future - deplorable customers.

That takes guts. A certain kamikazi pilot kind of guts, but guts nonetheless.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 pm

"to double down on his failure"

You do that every time you open your mouth...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon May 01, 2017 2:42 pm

So, one shitty ESPY choice is the reason for ESPN losing millions of dollars? Sorry, but you'll have to do better than that. The bigger reason is that they even give out ESPYs. Maybe it's more about all the bloated hype that ESPN generates rather than one example that so many whiners on the right are choosing to use as an example that ESPN has turned into some left-wing political machine that has cost itself viewers. Sorry but it doesn't add up. Not even close.

But that just shows how desperate this right-wing mentality has become. I could care less about Bruce Jenner or the ESPYs but I'm not foolish enough to think that most Americans who aren't boiling a squirrel on the stove right now have an idea that you can ignore this Hollywood-driven "look at me" mentality that pervades all of entertainment without becoming aggrieved over it when it intrudes into the mainstream. Shit, I have to look at those inbred morons on Duck Dynasty without watching their show but I'm not having a hissy fit over it and not watching shows on their network.

Hey, if you want to take pride in the fact that you can kill, clean and eat your own squirrels for dinner, fine, have at it. But don't throw a fit when the rest of us, the majority of us, point and laugh at you.

Like Bette Davis told Joan Crawford (paraphrased): But ya are a squirrel eater, Blanche. Ya just are!