Florida State Seminoles

The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by bluetick » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:They shut down FB, we're talking a Great Depression type stock market loss.
The loss of 6 billion grandchildren's pics would be a blow, but you have to think somebody else would jump in and fill the void. Amazonbook, or Walbook. Count on it.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Saint wrote:New poll results. Not a lot of good stuff in here for Trump or the GOP when Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand outpoint him and it's clear that nearly errbody hates McConnell and Ryan.
The next POTUS election is 2.5 years away. How was Trump polling 2.5 years before the 2016 POTUS election? For that matter, how was Trump polling on the EVE of the 2016 POTUS election?

You can include me in the “nearly errbody” that hates McConnell and Ryan. And the horse they rode in on.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 pm

bluetick wrote:
Jungle Rat wrote:They shut down FB, we're talking a Great Depression type stock market loss.
The loss of 6 billion grandchildren's pics would be a blow, but you have to think somebody else would jump in and fill the void. Amazonbook, or Walbook. Count on it.
Heh. So true. My three millennial sons all consider Facebook to be as lame as a CD. Something called a “Snapchat” is the preferred platform.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm

bluetick wrote:
Maybe. But not in the short term. Newspapers are dying because they reach more people on FB and other platforms more quickly than I can put on pants and go outside in the cold to get the paper. The amount of income generated nationwide is staggering. Same with advertising. And it's not just FB. My daughter makes a killing on Instagram (all legit, she ain't showing her taint). She's got over 250k followers and companies send her cash and product just to post it on her account. Hell, she is 21 and probably makes more a year off Instagram alone than hedge does trying to sell bad corn to the dog companies.

You kill FB, you kill the economy, at least for a year. And do any of you really want to go back to My Space?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Agreed. Kids are shying away from FB because it's their parents choice of social interaction. Snapchat is a good one. They know I follow them. More for me to enjoy their adventures than snooping. I see them about once a week because of their schedules and ages. It's fun to watch them grow. Same as Instagram.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Saint » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
Saint wrote:New poll results. Not a lot of good stuff in here for Trump or the GOP when Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand outpoint him and it's clear that nearly errbody hates McConnell and Ryan.
The next POTUS election is 2.5 years away. How was Trump polling 2.5 years before the 2016 POTUS election? For that matter, how was Trump polling on the EVE of the 2016 POTUS election?

You can include me in the “nearly errbody” that hates McConnell and Ryan. And the horse they rode in on.
True, but this gives the Russians an idea of the job facing them in 2020

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Agreed. Kids are shying away from FB because it's their parents choice of social interaction. Snapchat is a good one. They know I follow them. More for me to enjoy their adventures than snooping. I see them about once a week because of their schedules and ages. It's fun to watch them grow. Same as Instagram.
Isn't Instagram owned by Facebook? I think it wouldn't be hard to create something like Facebook, which was just a newer version of Friendster, Orkut and myspace

hedge
Legend
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:15 pm

"You kill FB, you kill the economy, at least for a year."

To say nothing of your entire social life. It would be a sad day in Rat's world if Facebook really did shut down...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 pm

If Zuckerberg gives, say, a billion dollars to the Democrat party, all will be forgiven. It’s sorta like Al Gore giving money to environmentalist causes (including some own by him) to expiate his sins of flying around the world in private jets, riding everywhere in Lincoln Navigators, and owning several gigantic mansions.That used to be called, “carbon credits;” but it was basically a modern form of sale of indulgences. Zuckerberg can do the same thing.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:06 pm

hedge wrote:"You kill FB, you kill the economy, at least for a year."

To say nothing of your entire social life. It would be a sad day in Rat's world if Facebook really did shut down...
It's my fault you only have 16 FB friends?

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 pm

[Youtube][/Youtube]

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:05 am

Clever. Just like the "Hitler finds out..." videos, I'm sure Hitler's voice and the crowd noise could be dubbed over pretty much anybody's speech (as long as they raise their arm a few times, even just to wave to the crowd) to a large group of people. Surprised nobody's done it to some liberal Oscar winner's speech...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am

I like the concept of this, and I'm surprised that nobody has done it to Trump's speeches.

But I'm inclined to leave the kids alone. They are just a bunch of high schoolers (yes, with the indispensable help of opportunistic activist adults) publicly expressing their views on a subject that they are passionate about. I respect that, even if I think they are misguided. At least they are getting involved in something more elevated than video games, the Kardashians, psych meds, sexting and vaping.

In the same way I don't hunt fawns, I'm willing to let the high schoolers grow up and go off to college and become snowflakes before I mock them.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:09 am

"(yes, with the indispensable help of opportunistic activist adults)"

That's a good definition of parenting...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:48 am

Professor Tiger wrote: At least they are getting involved in something more elevated than video games, the Kardashians, psych meds, sexting and vaping.
You forgot Tide pods. You're slipping, Prof. Tighten up.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Mentioning teenagers eating tide pods is copyrighted by eCat. I can't afford the royalties.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 pm

In the days and weeks following the February 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, the National Rifle Association saw a significant spike in donations.
In fact, reports from the Federal Election Commission show donations to the NRA's Political Victory Fund tripled from January to February.
In January, the NRA collected almost $248,000 in individual contributions. In February, they collected more than $779,000.

The NRA would like to personally thank David Hogg and his handlers for their efforts.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Apple’s chief executive, Tim Cook, issued a harsh rebuke of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook’s business model on Wednesday, saying that detailed profiles of individuals compiled by internet platforms should not exist.

“We could make a ton of money if we monetized our customers, if our customers were our product,” Cook said in an interview with Recode and MSNBC that will air on 6 April. “We’ve elected not to do that … We’re not going to traffic in your personal life. Privacy to us is a human right, a civil liberty.”

Cook also said that it is past time to regulate Facebook. “I think the best regulation is no regulation, is self-regulation,” he said. “However, I think we’re beyond that here.”
here's the thing though

people willingly put that shit out there because they want as many people as possible to see it. I don't see how you can be pissed that someone created a profile of your data - data that *you* put on a public platform that reaches the entire world.

"oh I'm mad that they sold my personal data to someone" but you don't mind telling the world you boned a stranger in an elevator 2 nights ago

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 pm

You saw my post about that?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am

My wife and I had a brief conversation about what an amazing country Japan is, and how fun it would be to visit there someday. It was just a conversation, never posted online. But it was in the presence of Alexa. The next day, we both got big ads on our computers from Japanese airlines.

[youtube]RD6hPYnR5GM[/youtube]