hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm

It had to be said. Well done...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Congrats, DS, and to all Tar Heel faithful from this shameless newcomer, carpetbagger and bandwagon UNC bball fan.

BTW, you owe hedge a royalty check for using the word "mewling." Or is that in the public domain in NC?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:18 pm

It is just a wonderful word to use.

Thank you for the congratulations. Are you in NC now?
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Not right now. But I go to Pittsboro pretty often, as you know.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:28 pm

that reads like a man confident Sankey isn't going to lower the boom on UNC, especially after stalling the investigation for 2 years so they could win a national championship
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 pm

So what if he attempts to do so? We're looking at the long game and have been preparing for federal court.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:35 pm

DooKSucks wrote:So what if he attempts to do so? We're looking at the long game and have been preparing for federal court.
while I don't expect it to go to court, I hope "you're" prepared for people to be under oath if it does.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:29 pm

I think it's going to be a pretty cut and dried case if it goes to court. I would think the NCAA would want to avoid that at all costs...

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:46 pm

eCat wrote:
DooKSucks wrote:So what if he attempts to do so? We're looking at the long game and have been preparing for federal court.
while I don't expect it to go to court, I hope "you're" prepared for people to be under oath if it does.
Yeah. The Heels are going to be ok. The NCAA and the SEC Commissioner (what a joke and conflict of interest) don't want to take this shit to court.

Did Cal enjoy the game or was he too busy helping his players find agents?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 pm

cut and dried eh?

is that why you had Crowder lie in a deposition to dispute your own private investigation?

its was a smart move - a delay tactic while introducing new evidence to dispute the previous evidence UNC submitted.

ballsy too.

I hope they rape you guys.

All of college basketball outside of UNC wants that.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:15 am

Either the NCAA comes to heel (get it?) or this turns into the bloodiest case ever and it neuters the NCAA completely. Either way, nothing is going to happen in the next 6-12 months that would affect UNC hoops next season.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 am

Sankey, believe it or not is a very honorable and ethical man (sometimes to the SEC's detriment) and whatever he does with this will not be rooted in some ulterior motive to better the SEC.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:05 pm

It's pretty clear that college athletics as we have known them are on the cusp of major change. The NCAA will clearly be the biggest loser when that happens, so they're trying to flex their muscles on last time. With one and done's, the whole notion of the student athlete is pretty much a joke. Every major school has joke classes geared solely towards athletes to keep them eligible. Maybe UNC will go down on this (although I doubt it), but if we do, everybody else will too. The whole house of cards will fall. My take is that the NCAA knows they can't win this, but they have to at least make a show of trying to exert maximum authority just to look good. They know they can't win, but they also can't just walk away. We probably should've taken some kind of punishment early on (although clearly we have suffered plenty in recruiting), but here we are. Irregardless, there's no way this championship can be touched or questioned...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:21 pm

its wishful thinking to believe that if Carolina gets slapped over this that everyone will rise up to fight the NCAA

the opposite is true. If the NCAA doesn't hit Carolina hard, then what college will ever accept any punishment for lesser academic issues?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm not a fan of cracking on the kid, but this is typical of what Dad is creating for his kids

[youtube]7eAsoFLOFpY[/youtube]

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Exactly. He's gonna end up in Minnesota.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:34 am

I love Rappaport.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:35 am

eCat wrote:its wishful thinking to believe that if Carolina gets slapped over this that everyone will rise up to fight the NCAA

the opposite is true. If the NCAA doesn't hit Carolina hard, then what college will ever accept any punishment for lesser academic issues?

The NCAA is fucked either way. If they let UNC skate, they are going to have a hard time enforcing the laws they choose to enforce. Although there have been plenty of recent cases that have done the same (Ohio St. football, Auburn).

On the other hand, the NCAA will have to do something I've said all along about the UNC case and that's show the actual rule that was broken. UNC certainly pulled off a scam by allowing athletes to take easy classes along with regular students but it's impossible to say that was against the rules the NCAA set up when it switched from grade performance to graduation rates. Furthermore, the NCAA changed its own rules on grad rates (which mightily benefitted the OAD programs I might add), so who really knows what the NCAA wants its schools to do? One answer is to not get caught so they can keep on playing golf and not worrying about shit like this.

Ultimately, a decision against UNC will throw the NCAA model into question and the O'Bannons out there are waiting to pounce and declare that colleges offer no real payment when athletes are allowed to obtain degrees without doing the work and so, athletes should be paid. I would think the NCAA's objective would be to avoid putting itself in a situation where it would have to pay players.

UNC probably should have taken the last set of LOAs and worked toward a settlement in which there was no probation based on cooperation and the fact that its recruiting had suffered. Of course, that argument has less water with another national title in the books in basketball and an ACC title game appearance in football.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Great story on Zion Williamson, the overhyped recruit who may or may not live up to it. At least he seems like a good kid with smart parents and that's half the battle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/h ... 065271eb3a

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Saint wrote:Great story on Zion Williamson, the overhyped recruit who may or may not live up to it. At least he seems like a good kid with smart parents and that's half the battle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/h ... 065271eb3a
UK folks have been talking about him for awhile. I tend not to pay too much attention to recruiting hype. The knock on UK next year is even though Cal has a great collection of recruits, none of them can shoot worth a damn. Zion seems to fall in line with that bunch.