hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:06 am

Because repubs hate poor people...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:15 am

But we've got (cheaper) insurance despite the repubs.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:39 am

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton trails three top Republican presidential candidates in head-to-head matchups in Colorado, Iowa and Virginia, a new survey shows.

The latest Quinnipiac University swing state polling released Wednesday shows the Democratic frontrunner trailing former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker in each of those states.

The biggest loser, the polls found, is Donald Trump, who has surged to the front of a crowded Republican primary field nationally but is viewed unfavorably, by almost a 2-to-1 margin, by voters in those states.

The results offered more indications that Clinton has a problem: Voters say they don't trust her.

In Colorado, only 34% of voters said they see Clinton as honest and trustworthy while 62% said they don't. In Iowa, the numbers were 33% to 59% -- a drop from 45% to 47% in April. And in Virginia, Clinton did best, at 39% saying they trust her to 55% saying they don't.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 am

The only polls of any consequence are Florida and Ohio. The R's need to win both to have a chance. And even then, it's way too early for those polls to be significant.

And even though most people view the PAH as a greedy lying crook (and she clearly is), that won't stop them from voting for her in large numbers.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:32 am

Professor Tiger wrote:The only polls of any consequence are Florida and Ohio. The R's need to win both to have a chance. And even then, it's way too early for those polls to be significant.

And even though most people view the PAH as a greedy lying crook (and she clearly is), that won't stop them from voting for her in large numbers.
The other factor is that, at this point, Hils is a target fo all of the GOP candidates, while she hasn't attacked any of them. Once a GOP leader emerges and she starts painting him as a war-mongering misogynist who wants to send all the Mexicans back to Mexico and all the blacks back to slavery (where they thrived), she'll box him into a 40% corner. And - just for kicks and giggles, she'll remind everyone how the GOP wants to plant monitoring devices in every woman's uterus.

The Whigs, er, Republicans, are done as a national party.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:34 am

Toemeesleather wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Toemeesleather wrote:ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- A new report on child welfare that found more U.S. children living in poverty than before the Great Recession belies the fanfare of the nation's economic turnaround.

Twenty-two percent of American children were living in poverty in 2013 compared with 18 percent in 2008, according to the latest Kids Count Data Book, with poverty rates nearly double among African-Americans and American Indians and problems most severe in South and Southwest.
Problems most severe in the South and Southwest? You mean the Republican-controlled states?

The whiz-bang economy of Obammer has unemployment at an ALL-TIME low, recession ended 5.5 years ago, QE has mine and your 401Ks skyrocketing....why would poverty rate increase anywhere?
I can't speak for every red state, but here's Tennessee's story:

Fed Study: TN Has Most Regressive Tax System - chattanooga times free press

A new study by a trio of economists from the Federal Reserve Bank found that Tennessee has the most regressive tax system of any state, requiring poor and middle-class taxpayers to pay a bigger share of their income than do wealthy individuals in the Volunteer State. ..it's heavy reliance upon the sales tax means that a disproportionate share of the taxes paid comes from low and middle-income taxpayers.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:38 am

The other factor is that, at this point, Hils is a target fo all of the GOP candidates, while she hasn't attacked any of them.

Simplistic at best....no one need attack Hilly to get her to lie, it comes natchul.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:48 am

[quote="bluetick"][/quote]

I can't speak for every red state, but here's Tennessee's story:

Fed Study: TN Has Most Regressive Tax System - chattanooga times free press

A new study by a trio of economists from the Federal Reserve Bank found that Tennessee has the most regressive tax system of any state, requiring poor and middle-class taxpayers to pay a bigger share of their income than do wealthy individuals in the Volunteer State. ..it's heavy reliance upon the sales tax means that a disproportionate share of the taxes paid comes from low and middle-income taxpayers.

Talk about regressive tax on the poor.....and price gouging.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Cigarette Smoking Costs Weigh Heavily on the Healthcare System - Reuters 12/19/14

Of every $10 spent on healthcare in the U.S., almost 90 cents is due to smoking, a new analysis says. Researchers calculated that 8.7 percent of all healthcare spending, or $170 billion a year, is for illness caused by tobacco smoke, and public programs like Medicare and Medicaid paid for most of these costs.

18 percent of the population are cigarette smokers, and 1 in 5 deaths are attributable to smoking.

Of the $170 billion spent on smoking-related healthcare, more than 60 percent was paid by government sources, according to the American Journal of Preventive Medicine

Whatever amount of taxes are put on cancer-sticks...it ain't nearly enough, wouldn't you agree?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Same could be said for alcohol, right?

http://www.alcoholpolicymd.com/alcohol_ ... /costs.htm

Just tax other people's vice, not mine.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:01 pm

Whatever amount of taxes are put on cancer-sticks...it ain't nearly enough, wouldn't you agree?

Just sayin'....stoopid tax(es) fall disproportionally on the poor.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:The only polls of any consequence are Florida and Ohio. The R's need to win both to have a chance. And even then, it's way too early for those polls to be significant.

The other factor is that, at this point, Hils is a target fo all of the GOP candidates, while she hasn't attacked any of them. Once a GOP leader emerges and she starts painting him as a war-mongering misogynist who wants to send all the Mexicans back to Mexico and all the blacks back to slavery (where they thrived), she'll box him into a 40% corner. And - just for kicks and giggles, she'll remind everyone how the GOP wants to plant monitoring devices in every woman's uterus.

The Whigs, er, Republicans, are done as a national party.
The PAH could say, "For relaxation, I like impaling live puppies, roasting them over a nice fire, and having them for dinner."

She'd still win.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Whatever amount of taxes are put on cancer-sticks...it ain't nearly enough, wouldn't you agree?

Just sayin'....stoopid tax(es) fall disproportionally on the poor.
Still, your chart says the red states pay far less in cig taxes than anybody else. Must not be a good example of why the red states lead the way in your child welfare piece.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Don't you dipshits work?

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Tennessee Turns Down Medicaid Expansion by Rachana Pradahan 2/4/2015

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam's alternative plan to expand Medicaid under Obamacare was dealt a devastating blow on Wednesday, when a Senate panel rejected it on the third day of a legislative special session called solely for that issue.

Remember all the talk about "death panels?" There actually is one - a state senate finance panel in Nashville turned down a Medicaid expansion grant - 3 billion dollars worth - that would have given 200,000 uninsureds health coverage, brought 50,000 new jobs, and given a reprieve to two dozen rural TN hopspitals. At no cost to the state whatsoever. The Feds would pay 100% through the end of 2016, and 90% thereafter...and the TN Hospital Assoc. agreed to pick up the difference. No thanks, said a majority of the panel that would have sent the measure to a full vote.

The plan was 2 years in the making because the governor wanted certainty that no state dollars were on the line - during that time a lot of people suffered but finally the time had come to sign off on Insure TN. Except the Koch brothers and ALEC ran ads with the reasoning that accepting the expansion was sending a message that TN endorsed obamacare...and sure enough, our spineless legislature shot it down. For no reason whatsoever.

The body count of working poor Tennesseans deceased due to nonexistent or inadequate healthcare during this fiasco is in the thousands.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Don't you dipshits work?
Not me. I'm a democrat.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:31 pm

bluetick wrote:Tennessee Turns Down Medicaid Expansion by Rachana Pradahan 2/4/2015

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam's alternative plan to expand Medicaid under Obamacare was dealt a devastating blow on Wednesday, when a Senate panel rejected it on the third day of a legislative special session called solely for that issue.

Remember all the talk about "death panels?" There actually is one - a state senate finance panel in Nashville turned down a Medicaid expansion grant - 3 billion dollars worth - that would have given 200,000 uninsureds health coverage, brought 50,000 new jobs, and given a reprieve to two dozen rural TN hopspitals. At no cost to the state whatsoever. The Feds would pay 100% through the end of 2016, and 90% thereafter...and the TN Hospital Assoc. agreed to pick up the difference. No thanks, said a majority of the panel that would have sent the measure to a full vote.

The plan was 2 years in the making because the governor wanted certainty that no state dollars were on the line - during that time a lot of people suffered but finally the time had come to sign off on Insure TN. Except the Koch brothers and ALEC ran ads with the reasoning that accepting the expansion was sending a message that TN endorsed obamacare...and sure enough, our spineless legislature shot it down. For no reason whatsoever.

The body count of working poor Tennesseans deceased due to nonexistent or inadequate healthcare during this fiasco is in the thousands.
Don't get me started on TN. Mom (and other family members) live in Memphis. My mother comes to California every 3 months for her medical appointments. $400 round trip ticket that my sister and I split each time. Worth 10X as much for our peace of mind.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Ruh-roh:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-2 ... speechless

If China keeps dumping our T-bills instead of buying them to finance our exploding debt, this could be really bad.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Don't get me started on TN. Mom (and other family members) live in Memphis.
Actually, anywhere west of Buck Snort isn't really Tennessee.
Let 'er Blow!

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:24 am

We need to denigrate our forefathers. They started this country believing in slavery, Christianity, and capitalism. In fact, the Constitution was written by these homophobic bigots and should be ignored because of its blatant bias toward their personal interests.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Demo ... 400544.php