Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Because New York City is a police state. A bunch of liberal white elitists who need to keep their constituency in line. Ferguson and NYC, Democrat havens.

Meanwhile an African American's family in South Carolina will get an opportunity for justice.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/1 ... ICX0n-9KSM

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:44 pm

bluetick wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Pretty amazing that a cop can choke a man to death (using a chokehold banned by the NYPD) and have that death ruled a homicide by the coroner and not even have to face a trial.
"Not enough evidence to support an indictment".....if only somebody had a smart phone and captured the whole thing and put it on the web and got 30 million views worldwide. Oh well.
Gotta agree with you on this one. Garner's crime was selling bootleg cigarettes and resisting arrest. That's a LOT less serious than Brown's crimes of robbery and especially fighting a cop for his weapon, where the officer's use of deadly force is understandable. And as you noted, that chokehold is banned by NYPD.

That NYPD cop deserves to face some significant consequences.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:14 pm

"Garner's crime was selling bootleg cigarettes and resisting arrest. That's a LOT less serious than Brown's crimes of robbery"

It's robbing from the government...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:22 pm

sardis wrote:Because New York City is a police state. A bunch of liberal white elitists who need to keep their constituency in line. Ferguson and NYC, Democrat havens.
Heh. Nice try, Sardis.

From ABC News, the #1 factor that would shape the Garner Chokehold indictment:

The case is being heard by a grand jury on Staten Island, officially known as Ricmond County. The District Attorney's office is well-regarded, but remains the smallest of the five D.A.'s offices in New York City. It is also the only office headed by a Republican, Daniel Donovan. Staten Island is the only borough of New York City where the Republican Party has any real presence whatsoever.

Historically, police officers from nearby boroughs such as Brooklyn and Queens live or have lived on Staten Island
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Seems a lot like the folks who constantly scream about Obama taking all our guns and creating a police state are the first ones in line to defend the police whenever they use lethal force against a minor, non-threatening crook.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm just thinking that because I watch some of Fox's coverage...and Giuliani is on there...and he's talking about how a cop is always right and it's your duty to do as he says...and then basically says Garner has no one but himself to blame for getting killed.

And I'm thinking, first of all, that wow, Giliani is a total asshole. And two, I'm thinking this clown would probably be amongst the first to scream about the citizenry needing to stand up to any policeman coming to confiscate his guns.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Cleveland officer who fatally shot Tamir Rice judged unfit for duty in 2012

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014 ... dged-unfit

Timothy Loehmann criticised by small Ohio force for breaking down while handling live gun and his performance was called ‘dismal’, records show.

A police officer who shot a 12-year-old dead in a Cleveland park late last month had been judged unfit for police service two years earlier by a small suburban force where he worked for six months, according to records released on Wednesday.

Officer Timothy Loehmann, who killed Tamir Rice on 22 November, was specifically faulted for breaking down emotionally while handling a live gun. During a training episode at a firing range, Loehmann was reported to be “distracted and weepy” and incommunicative. “His handgun performance was dismal,” deputy chief Jim Polak of the Independence, Ohio, police department wrote in an internal memo.

The memo concludes with a recommendation that Loehmann be “released from the employment of the City of Independence”. Less than a week later, on 3 December 2012, Loehmann resigned.

In March of this year, Loehmann was hired by the Cleveland police department. It is unclear whether the department had seen the Independence memo at the time of Loehmann’s hiring.

“I have not received any instruction about it, and I have not received the file” from Independence, said Sgt Ali Pillow, a Cleveland police spokesman. He said the Cleveland department had not commented on whether it had seen the memo from Independence before Loehmann was hired.

On a Saturday afternoon last month, Loehmann and a partner, Frank Garmack, were dispatched to Cleveland’s Cudell Commons Park after a 911 caller reported “a guy” in the park was pointing a “probably fake” gun at people. Surveillance video recovered after the incident showed Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old, handling a pistol-sized pellet gun.

Loehmann shot the boy dead within two seconds of a police car driven by Garmack arriving to the park and pulling to a stop within feet of the child. In the video, released by Cleveland police a week ago, Loehmann appears to fire his gun as he opens the door to leave the police car.

Loehmann has been taken off patrol duties in Cleveland and the shooting is under internal review.

The Independence police memo describes an episode in which a supervising officer suspended gun training with Loehmann after Loehmann had an emotional breakdown about a girlfriend.

“During a state range qualification course, Ptl Loehmann was distracted and weepy,” Polak wrote, naming the trainer as Sgt Tinnirello. “[Loehmann] could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal. Sgt Tinnirello tried to work through this with Ptl Loehmann by giving him some time. But, after some talking it was clear to Sgt Tinnirello that the recruit was just not mentally prepared to be doing firearm training ...

“Ptl Loehmann continued with his emotional meltdown to a point where Sgt Tinnirello could not take him into the store, so they went to get something to eat and he continued to try and calm Ptl Loehmann. Sgt Tinnirello describes the recruit as being very downtrodden, melancholy with some light crying. Sgt Tinnirello later found this emotional perplexity was due to a personal issue with Ptl Loehmann’s on and off again girlfriend whom he was dealing with till 0400 hrs the night before. (Pti Loehmann was scheduled for 0800 the morning in question).”

Some of the comments made by Ptl Loehmann during this discourse were to the effect of, “I should have gone to NY”, “maybe I should quit”, “I have no friends”, “I only hang out with 73-year-old priests”, “I have cried every day for four months about this girl.”

In recommending Loehmann’s dismissal, Polak listed what he said were other performance shortcomings, including Loehmann’s having left his gun unlocked, lied to supervisors and failed to follow orders.

“Due to this dangerous loss of composure during live range training and his inability to manage this personal stress, I do not believe Ptl Loehmann shows the maturity needed to work in our employment,” Polak concludes. “For these reasons, I am recommending he be released from the employment of the city of Independence. I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct these deficiencies.”

Equally amazing, the Cleveland PD just paid a $100K settlement for an excessive force claim against the shooter's partner.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Something doesn't add up. Republicans recently made Ohio an open carry state (that includes handguns). The Rice kid was shot dead openly carrying a (pellet) gun. Not threatening the officers with it, as the video clearly shows.

Why isn't the NRA all over this? An American, minding his own business and exercising his 2nd amendment right, gunned down in cold blood. At the very least it appears to be a case of government overreach, to borrow a favorite NRA phrase..

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:00 am

As with the Garner case, I'm with you on this one, assuming the facts presented are accurate.

The presence of cameras at the scene is a huge factor in determining the legitimacy of a police shooting. Or at least should be.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Video doesn't always tell the whole story but unlike people it doesn't bear false witness. If a picture is worth a thousand words, you'd think a five minute security tape or cellphone video would be priceless. You'd think..

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Maybe they need to call Angela Corey and follow her (and E Holders) lead....

I seem to remember NBC/ABC had some decent editors that can make videos look even more incriminating....
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Nonetheless, yer hero George Zimmerman is a free man, whether an abc cameraman zoomed in on his head boo-boo or not.

But I suppose you're right, not all news gatherers are on the up-and-up.

Rupert Murdoch Admits to Phone-Hacking Cover-up, Vows to Rebuild Reputation

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:14 pm

I wonder if Rolling Stone will get a Pulitzer or a Rather for this....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... /19954293/

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Some Republicans, so desperate to believe there was a massive Benghazi cover-up, now turn to accusing other Republicans as being part of the cover-up

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... y-theories

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:04 am

Rachel Maddow? Really? What next, Keith Olberman?

Sad....

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Rachel Maddow? Really? What next, Keith Olberman?

Sad....
Got anything to say about the substance?

How do you feel about the latest Benghazi report, which was written by Republicans, and absolved the administration of wrong-doing?

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Michigan House passes a law that makes it legal to refuse service to anyone whose religion or way of life is something you disagree with.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /19889979/

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:14 pm

"Way of life"? WTF is that?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Got anything to say about the substance?

Ohhhhh! Substance does matter. Well, how do you do?

I don't care who wrote the report, Obammer and Hillary put out the minions to lie/misrepresent and distort about dead Americans, election coming up, remember?....if you doubt that, well, sad.